Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any experienced detailers out there, can you give a ballpark cost for a proper paint repair/swirl removal job combined with a good detail (outside only or inside/outside). Car is a black diamond tricoat sedan, daily driver, 4 years old with some swirling on the back and a couple very minor chips on the front. Having a tough time finding reputable detailers in this area and if I do, I'd like to know the price is reasonable. I usually do the normal clean/detail/polymer job myself but removing paint swirls properly vs hiding them is beyond my comfort zone.

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
Any experienced detailers out there, can you give a ballpark cost for a proper paint repair/swirl removal job combined with a good detail (outside only or inside/outside). Car is a black diamond tricoat sedan, daily driver, 4 years old with some swirling on the back and a couple very minor chips on the front. Having a tough time finding reputable detailers in this area and if I do, I'd like to know the price is reasonable. I usually do the normal clean/detail/polymer job myself but removing paint swirls properly vs hiding them is beyond my comfort zone.
It can range a lot depending on how extensive you are getting and the detailer but id expect somewhere between 250-500 for someone that knows what theyre doing to touch it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I got a quote from a relatively high end detailer to do a full in & out detail, correction, and single layer of ceramic coating for $850.

I had three small dents pulled for $200 ($75/panel and I had a small dent on 3 different panels of course) and I had one big paint blemish (scraped the front bumper where the license plate holder was while trying to strip the old adhesive off) painted & blended for $150. These were somewhat friend prices.

I don't know of many detailers that also do paint repairs. Good ones can knock down clear coat high spots or light scratches, but if the paint is actually chipped, I'd have a body shop repair that first then go for the proper detail after. That's what I am doing at least lol.

·
Premium Member
6,893 Posts
If you have Facebook the join the Obsessed Garage page and search around. For a 50-60% correction will be anywhere from $300-$500 depending on the persons rep/portfolio and if they have a shop or do it 100% mobile. For a true 90% correction and coating be prepared to pay well over $1000 unless you have a "friend" hookup.

Maybe Evil V will show up, hes a pro but based out of Maryland.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you to everyone for the info. I have a minor chip in the front which I'll touch up myself given the small size and less than obvious location but mainly want to rid myself of the paint swirls that happened when the dealer washed my car last year (usually I specify not to but forgot). I know I can minimize the swirling on a temp basis with some decent product but figured it's 4 yrs old and I plan on keeping her another several years so the time was right for a "proper" job. Now to find a detailer in the area. I'll join the facebook group above, thanks again!

·
2X 9 second club
11,148 Posts
As stated, it can vary quite a bit depending on what your expectation is on the finished product. I have done several BDT V’s, and it’s a color that you can get away with without a full correction. My OCD makes it hard for me to not correct a car to 90+ percent. But some colors don’t look half assed at 50-60 percent.

I do paint chip touchup, I fill the chip with a very tiny tool designed to dab paint in smaller than a pin head. I let it dry, then sand it back down to get it level.

If someone is going to go to the expense of paint correction, I always recommend a coating be applied. The coatings range from 1-5 or more years warranty depending on brand. If the coating is cared for properly it can last well past the warranty.

My pricing for the majority of jobs I do is 12-1500 dollars.

You can take a look at my work to get an idea what that price gets you. I’m probably at the lower end of averages prices just because I keep my overhead really low.

My IG is P2pofmd

·
Registered
540 Posts
My pricing for the majority of jobs I do is 12-1500 dollars.
Getting my Raven Black sedan fully detailed inside/out and wheels off with coating for the leather and the paint was around $1800. The car looked absolutely beautiful until the neighbors cat used its claws to keep from sliding off the hood. I have a couple of dings now that I need to get PDR'd and some stuff resprayed and I will definitely have it done again. Careful hand washing and drying with a leaf blower kept it looking great for months with no noticeable swirls except the cat scratches mentioned above.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I got a quote from a relatively high end detailer to do a full in & out detail, correction, and single layer of ceramic coating for $850.
My current bumper has a gash on the side and lot of chips and dents. Instead of repairing it, I decided to order a new one. I had heard about ceramic coatings and decided to visit a shop that installs them. They quoted me around $850 just for my front bumper. They had a bad ass black ZL1 in the shop that had it's whole front end ceramic coated. We're talking bumper, fenders, hood and a shine that made the car look as if the paint was wet. He gave me the exact cost but it went in one ear and out the other, I just remember that it was around $4,000.

OP, the owner of the shop told me that it takes a full week of work to get the whole front end ceramic coated. Most of that time is spent on paint corrections such as the swirls and imperfections and then all the waxing needed to get it as shiny as possible before applying the ceramic layer. If you'd like a show car shine then find one of those shops and tell they you want the whole treatment minus the ceramic.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Opt for ceramic coat if the detailer offers it, worth the extra amount as it really keeps the paint easy to maintain for years. It's nice being able to do a waterless wash and/or quick detail and being done with it.

·
Premium Member
14,230 Posts

·
2X 9 second club
11,148 Posts
You do great work!

I just can't justify the cost for what my DD goes through...
it really makes cleanup so much easier, even on a daily driver. mine is outside all of the time and daily driven and it washes so easy with everything coated. the wheels are the best item to coat in my opinion.

·
2X 9 second club
11,148 Posts

·
2X 9 second club
11,148 Posts
yes, I have those as well, but the paint tool is much more controlled.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just got finished going through this. Full paint correction and sealant. Guys got out water spots, swirls, etc. Car looks flawless. Worth every penny in my opinion. Was 1100 bucks and they took two days on the car.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I do paint correction as a side gig that’s helped me pay to road race motorcycles across the US and mod my cars guilt free lol!! I typically only do car enthusiasts stuff. I’d say an average paint correction and coating starts around $800 low end up to 3k. Depends on what they want done and most importantly what product. Some of this stuff is autrocious and outrageously expensive!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts