Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 09 blew the small coolant line (actually the plastic fitting crumbled) that runs to the chrome pipe on the left side of the engine 100 miles ago. Kept smelling antifreeze when I would walk into the house from the garage. Thought the engine was just boiling off the sprayed coolant. Went on the highway today. Not pushing the car at all. Next thing I know all the idiot lights are going on and the car goes into limp mode. Temp gauge pegged. Got it towed. Question, wtf is going on? I popped the hood and you could see where the coolant had sprayed a bit on the air inlet housing. I can't see any hoses effed up. Checked the oil. No milkshake. The only reason it heated up was from lack of coolant. After it cooled down I fired it up and it runs without issue. Just the check engine light and the change the oil soon which came on during the idiot light show as well. I think that's coincidental as the oil is dirty and it could have been a normal service issue. The oil looks good. Are there any issues I should know of about the cooling system on this car? Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
So I don't get it. The steam vent connection cracked and you were losing coolant and you're surprised it over heated from lack of coolant? I'm just confused here. There are no issues with the cooling system.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I fixed the steam vent connection. Made sure the coolant level was right. Drove it about 100 miles with no overheating issues. Now it seems it has blown off a hose or something. I'll know more in the coming week. The car operated perfectly and bam, just like that it emptied itself of coolant. Has anyone had a hose go bad, blow off, etc? I don't know where it came out though as I can't see the car on a lift or anything yet. I'm trying mightily to calm my nerves! The car is at a shop as of now. Sorry that I wasn't clear in the post about fixing the vent hose. The car never leaked coolant onto my floor except that one night when I drove it home as it was leaking. No limp mode that night.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Yes, the quick disconnect steam vent lines can pop off since they can be damaged easily when removing the blower or snout. I'd replace it with a new factory QD fitting, or cut it off and clamp it. You can also upgrade it to an aluminum AN fitting and line....about $40 for the push lock AN fittings and steam vent adaptors.

Good luck.

Reactions: random84

·
Premium Member
15,017 Posts
I have a thread on steam vent crossovers to give you a visual on options. I think I even have the OEM units if you want them - but you'll need gaskets and good luck finding those.

Aftermarket is cheap and more sturdy.

Yes, the fittings, hoses and plastic connectors are all going to be brittle and susceptible to leaks with age and heat cycles over 10+ years!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I have a thread on steam vent crossovers to give you a visual on options. I think I even have the OEM units if you want them - but you'll need gaskets and good luck finding those.

Aftermarket is cheap and more sturdy.

Yes, the fittings, hoses and plastic connectors are all going to be brittle and susceptible to leaks with age and heat cycles over 10+ years!

Jessie, can you do that without total tear down?

·
Premium Member
15,017 Posts
Jessie, can you do that without total tear down?
I think so: you're probably going to pull the boost bypass valve and maybe move some hoses, but they are button head bolts so I think you'll be able to get to them with some extensions, without pulling the blower.

Slender fingers would be a plus too!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was a steam vent line. The plastic absolutely had become brittle. What a freaking panic though! These motors aren't cheap. Looking at Z06 Vettes now. Bang for the buck seems like a good do. Getting tired of the V.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
It was a steam vent line. The plastic absolutely had become brittle. What a freaking panic though! These motors aren't cheap. Looking at Z06 Vettes now. Bang for the buck seems like a good do. Getting tired of the V.
Vettes ain't cheap either.

My buddy got tired of his Z06 and is turning it into a "race car" with a huge turbo and meth and all kinds of stuff.

Boredom is expensive.

This is now his 427

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did that to a Z/28 I had in the 90s. It eventually went into the 9s. But lots of $$$$ went into the car first. Bad decision. Z06's are affordable. Nice cars too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts