Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, I have a high school senior who is applying to a bunch of schools right now.

It’s been very interesting. My son didn’t want to take any college test prep courses, instead studying on his own and taking pre-tests.

While I think most schools should want him, I am biased.

The whole thing seems very messed up, and I knew there had to be so really greasy stuff going on, but this is rich (bad pun?).

Anyway, while my son waits like millions others to see if he can get in on his merits and accomplishments, I hope the law can actually come down hard on others who think it’s ok to just pay their way to admissions acceptance:

Felicity Huffman, Lori Loughlin Arrested in College Admissions Scandal | Fortune

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I was watching them report on it earlier today on CNN, will be interesting to see what kind of sentences they get since it's a White Collar Crime usually all they get is a slap on the wrist ...

·
Super Moderator
20,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sad, but true.

How do you face your kid if the kid had no idea?

My son got deferred at one school and I felt absolutely saddened to hear it, though he took it really well.

·
Premium Member
15,029 Posts
I was surprised to see those recognizable actresses, but I suppose at the end of the day it's no different than anyone trying to con favors: Money, sexual acts, tit-for-tat favors, celebrity status, elaborate gifts... that seems to be how the world works. Look at Hollywood, College Sports, Corporate America... "surprise: that's people for ya!"

I'd say ANY wealthy parent would "donate" money to get their kids into Ivy League schools... because it happens every year in various forms all across the country via endowments, clubs, or Celebrity Alumni status being used to put some forms on the top of the stack. It seems the bigger issue are the Officials and Coaches were were willing to take the bribes personally or outright lie on a student's status, rather than have it go "to the school" like everyone else who tries to gain favor with the admissions office.

·
Premium Member
12,771 Posts
common karch you think libraries in schools and wings in hospitals get named after people because they are nice?
alumni make a call, money exchanges hands and it happens. its always who you know not what you know

next we will hear rich people get better hospital treatment and doctors lol

·
Super Moderator
20,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No doubt. At least that is subtle. Well, if not subtle, one can understand the University’s reason.

This is so damn blatant!

I have a hard enough time paying for college applications and AP tests, let alone college test prep tutoring, and then of course the college itself.

$1.2M to bribe your way in? Insane.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
how stupid are Loughlin's kids that she had to give $500k to get them into the University of Southern California ?
Like her daughter said, she never really wanted to go to college. She just wanted to party and go to football games.
I hope they go down hard.

·
Super Moderator
17,000 Posts
For some reason Veruca Salt comes to mind.

I want an Oompa Loompa NOW!!

Reactions: translux

·
Registered
928 Posts
What happens to the kids who knew they shouldn't have gotten-in? EG if I got in on a basketball scholarship, since I'm no star, obviously I'd know something's up. IE I'm culpable. Will the kids get punished too? Then there's the issue of their education: If we're talking about first semester this coming fall, it's pretty simple. But what if your kid worked his/her ass off for the past 2-3 years and is doing well?

·
Premium Member
15,029 Posts
Like her daughter said, she never really wanted to go to college. She just wanted to party and go to football games.
For $1.2 mil, you'd think they'd find a small private school somewhere and rent her a house in the "it" part of town - and save $800k?!?

Makes you wander who Mom did to get an acting career?

Meow! Grrr...

·
Premium Member
3,537 Posts
how stupid are Loughlin's kids that she had to give $500k to get them into the University of Southern California ?
That's 4 year tuition at USC!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
She probably already did Go Down Hard ... :D

There's a 2 year old story out that Jarad Kushners Father gave a $2.5 MILLION Donation to Harvard some 20 years ago 2 weeks before his son was admitted to Harvard. So it's been going on for a long time, the 50 Indicted were just the 50 caught, I'm sure there's plenty out there that didn't get caught.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts