Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s no secret, it’s all over the internet.
you see the outer sidewall and figure ”damn this tire looks good”

what lurks beneath is where the ugliness lies. Check your tires and don’t expect too long out of them.
if you are lucky you smoke them so Often it’s not an issue. If you daily drive and want that drag tire don’t expect more than 2 seasons out of them

·
Registered
959 Posts
Wow

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
No problem here....seems like I go through 2 sets per season. 2 seasons? Only when I make the transition from spring to summer. :)

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Who puts any tire on their V and expects more than two seasons? Not me, for sure. I'm thrilled if I get two seasons.

If the tires on your V are lasting more than two seasons, you're not trying hard enough. You might want to trade the V in on a Mustang or something that doesn't stick to the road quite as good.

·
Registered
61 Posts
What causes this? And is there any practical way to prevent it? Or do we just check them every so often and replace as needed?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Boston: 3 years ago I installed 4 Michelin new summer tires on the V. In January I let the wife drive it for a month to hold off on buying her new car till spring. By the in of March I noticed all 4 were cracking, had to replace them. Manufacturer would not cover them, they said it was negligence . They were like hard eggs.

·
Super Moderator
16,474 Posts
Tell ya what else...putting tire shine on a drag radial is f’n stupid
Ran DR’s daily street duty for 3 years, absolutely had tire shine on the sidewalls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
for what its worth the exterior sidewall looked incredibly good, like BRAND NEW, and I always put tire shine on it
for a second I was wondering if I should start tire shining the inner wall so it lasted longer but im sure the cracking has something to do with the camber under acceleration ?

·
Registered
959 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,474 Posts
Maybe that is why I could never hook up?? But damn it looked good.

“It’s not wether you win or lose, it’s how good you looked”———David Lee Roth @us festival 1983

·
Registered
7 Posts
Boston: 3 years ago I installed 4 Michelin new summer tires on the V. In January I let the wife drive it for a month to hold off on buying her new car till spring. By the in of March I noticed all 4 were cracking, had to replace them. Manufacturer would not cover them, they said it was negligence . They were like hard eggs.
I had the same thing on my Michelin tires. Crack apart about 3/8 all the way around each front tire. Maybe 10k miles on the. Thank god I saw it while changing my oil. I put Hankooks on and I'm happy with them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Same here. Mt drag radial tearing in same place. I purchased my tires threw Summit. They warrantied the bad tire.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Maybe that is why I could never hook up?? But damn it looked good.

“It’s not wether you win or lose, it’s how good you looked”———David Lee Roth @us festival 1983

That's what the burnout is for.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
If you drive around on DRs under 50F, you are asking for this...my hope is that I avoid it if I stick to warm temps.

·
Premium Member
12,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
guys in warmer climates report the same, but maybe i should switch to Nittos

from Nitto's site:
Driving or moving a vehicle with drag radial tires installed in conditions below 15°F (-9°C) may cause cracking or other damage to the tire. This can lead to tire failure, which may result in loss of vehicle control and serious personal injury or death.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts