Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 V coupe and noticed a vibration under car. I recently put a brand new diff in it and picked car up and there was still a small vibration but other symptoms stopped... it is slowly getting worse and I'm certain it's not the new diff. It's hard to pinpoint..but sounds more from the front. Wheel bearing were all checked a little while ago...no play in the wheels at 12 and 6...some at 9 and 3. I'm not experiencing any slip or bogging so I dunno if it's torque converter.... I'm lost really. What's next? Tires...alignment?

·
Premium Member
13,457 Posts
get it on a lift and check everything out
then eliminate the easy stuff, have the tires road force balanced
dont bother with an alignment until you rule out any front end work unless the guy doing the alignment will do it again at a discount if you happen to end up needing some work done

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,227 Posts
1. Tires, the first place to look. Have them all balanced, see what happens.
2. Alignment is not a cause for vibration
3. Check driveshaft and axle shafts for noticeble play.
4. consider putting the car on a two-post lift or even good jackstands and running through the gears to see if it's driveline related.
5. note whether the vibration follows road speed or engine speed
6 note whether the vibration changes when you apply or remove throttle

Reactions: deshars313

·
Registered
6 Posts
^^^ This and also try coasting with it in neutral to see if it stops or continues. I assume the vibration is constant? If not, do you mostly notice it under braking? Warped rotors can cause a bunch of vibration in the front end.

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,227 Posts
Addendum: when at the tire shop, have them closely visually inspect each when on the balancer for out-of-round, bumps. bubbles, creases and crooked tread pattern. Broken tire cords can cause all of these and a great variety of vibration even while being 'in balance'. Go there with the tires hot, as structural tire issues are often more evident than when cold.

·
Premium Member
13,457 Posts
the newer roadforce elite or whatever they call them should pickup what another machine wont

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is the same whether in neutral or under load...and does not get worse with load...only with speed. Maybe a wheel bearing did go in the last 500 miles only... I'm taking it back to shop in morning. Praying it's a wheel bearing that is going bad but doesn't have any play. Lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got it up and sad to say it sounds like it's the diff again. I bought a brand new carrier from gmparts and put better bushings in it.... and not even 500 miles on it. It hasn't even made it to first oil change. I'm super upset...going back to mechanic tomorrow. I hope gm warranty covers it I it is the diff. Has anyone heard oof or had experience with a bad diff carrier right from factory?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I got it up and sad to say it sounds like it's the diff again. I bought a brand new carrier from gmparts and put better bushings in it.... and not even 500 miles on it. It hasn't even made it to first oil change. I'm super upset...going back to mechanic tomorrow. I hope gm warranty covers it I it is the diff. Has anyone heard oof or had experience with a bad diff carrier right from factory?
Not sure if the carrier is the culprit but many people have had diff problems before, more commonly a groaning or roaring noise though which leads me to believe it could be the bearings more often then not. Do you have the correct oil in it? I would stick with OEM as other oils have been known to not be completely compatible.

·
Premium Member
2009 Sedan
758 Posts
Yeah, the problems have been NOISE, not VIBRATIONS from diffs, that I've seen on my short time here.

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,227 Posts
I replaced my diff with a brand-new GM unit bought through Rock Auto. The diff has a TWO YEAR Warranty from GM so hopefully that will ease your mind. My new diff HAS a vibration. When shipped it was in a terribly lightweight cardboard box that was ridiculous for this purpose but it was the original GM box. When delivered, the drive flange and most of the unit was sticking out of the ragged box and the unit had clearly been dropped, The pinion flange was bent a bit (yes I have pics). The vibration is slight and appears around 90mph, getting slightly worse above that. I am going to put my old one back together with a couple of new bearings as a temporary fix while I send the new one in for warranty,,,,not for the vibration but for the slight gear whine that it has.

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,227 Posts
Indeed, yes. It ships full(!) I posted pics of related stuff, such as the drain plug magnet being covered with steel bits,,,, before it was ever installed. It was filled but I drained all and replaced with RP75-140 which has the friction modifier in it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts