Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a Moroso cachtcan about 3 months ago and spun the reservoir off today to see how much oil was present. To my surprise it was almost full (2-3oz) and had some metal flake in the bottom as well. Silver in color. Some things that were recently addressed is SC was replaced under warranty about 9 months ago (reasoning why I installed the can) and currently has 102k on the clock. Is this amount of oil normal for a daily driver and what's your thoughts on the metal flake.
I did an oil change about 3 weeks ago and didn't see any signs of flake in the drain pain or anywhere else.
TIA

Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Funny that your finger is sensitive content.

Not funny about the flakes. Odd though it is being borne in the vaporized gas.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
flakes could easily be from the metal screen material found in most catch cans element.
cut open oil filter for definitive answer.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm cryin over pic 2. even had to show my wife.... not that were those kinds of people

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay so any comments on the oil consumption in the can, is a couple of ounces excessive for say 3,000 miles of driving?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Okay so any comments on the oil consumption in the can, is a couple of ounces excessive for say 3,000 miles of driving?
From what I've read and saw on the internet, the amount you showed in pic one doesnt look extremely excessive. It would also highly depend on how many hard pulls you made, and your mods. the metallic flake is concerning though, and like 04chase said you should cut open your filter. i just installed a catch can myself and have yet to put barely 500 miles on it and just for shits and giggles i went to open the stopcock to see if anything would come out but not even a drip...but i am also stock and dont hammer on it all the time

·
Registered
207 Posts
I just put a Moroso catch can on mine and it collects oil quickly, plus I have similar sparkles in the oil. I do a lot of WOT pulls (why drive the car if you're not?), so I'm not surprised by the amount of oil it pickups. I'm chalking the sparkles up to it being a new catch can as Chase said, since I changed my oil just before this and there were zero sparkles in the oil and filter.

I'll try to get a photos of mine with mileage tonight for comparison.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Car is bone stock minus intake.
This is my daily driver and yes I do get into boost quite often. My last oil change there were zero sparkles in the oil and didn't see any signs of it when I dumped the filter.
going to do another oil change soon and open the filter.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Here’s mine at 375 miles since install. Note that I put some anti seize on the threads, so that may account for some of my sparkles.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well changed the oil today and there were traces of what appeared to be aluminum in appearance in my drain pan and I poured the last little bit (1/2qt) into an empty oil bottle for a sample. Cut the filter open and did not see any evidence of metals on the outside of the core filter???
Oil/filter had 2,600m on them so having an extended warranty through May 26, 2021 I elected to
take everything to my local dealer and let them take a look at it.
Note: the dealer installed a new SC under warranty 9 months ago.
What's the brain trust here have to say?

·
Registered
95 Posts
You could send a sample of your oil off to Blackstone to see if it's bearing material.

Reactions: SoCalDave

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We have an account with Mobile Oil Serve at work so I'm gonna send them a sample as well but don't want to wait on a 2 week diagnostic reasoning I took it to my dealer.
Three months ago they worked with me to get the rear-end replaced under the warranty and things worked out well...
Maybe I'm over-reacting on this but not sure where this may take me on this car...always ran and still does like a top.
Let's see where this goes...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts