Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Very interesting, conflicting opinions on Catch Cans, walks away mumbling to self over the confusion ... lol

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
My take:

Its an issue of flow rate capacity. dBomm is correct about the stock system and that it is the best way (for a stock motor). I believe once you build the bottom end and push boost, the factory routing can be too restricted, through say, 4 ft of 3/8 line and Moroso catch can.

MM vents the crankcase pressure faster out the oil fill via the larger hose.

Again dBomm makes good point that you now have all the crap coming through the valvetrain this way and could loosen gunk from the valley cover.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I mentioned this before but anyway I had a chance to see another persons V with a MM Wild set up in it. Other than the ZL1 Lid I couldn't see any of the motor at all because of all the hosing running around in the Engine Compartment. I thought WTF is all the hose in there so I asked him, he said it was the MM Wild CC Setup. I personally don't want all that hose in there, I would have to even locate the MM CC somewhere else besides where it is supposed to go behind the motor because I already have a Flex Fuel Filter mounter where the MM CC is supposed to go.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Lol I’m still confused.

MM for those of us that don’t know. Can you elaborate a bit more?
for you certainly, let me know what area you would like more info on, also i try to cover the sharp points on the website.

My take:

Its an issue of flow rate capacity. dBomm is correct about the stock system and that it is the best way (for a stock motor). I believe once you build the bottom end and push boost, the factory routing can be too restricted, through say, 4 ft of 3/8 line and Moroso catch can.

MM vents the crankcase pressure faster out the oil fill via the larger hose.

Again dBomm makes good point that you now have all the crap coming through the valvetrain this way and could loosen gunk from the valley cover.
correct. the factory pcv (all factory pcv) has oil consumption on the suction side, which is where normal (and my mild) kit goes. when the vent side of the system is poor, or due to mods, inadequate, the wild system replaces it all to handle the power and correct pressure related issues. I have not once heard of any situation where gunk was loosened, and of course the can is there to catch anything before the manifold return.

I mentioned this before but anyway I had a chance to see another persons V with a MM Wild set up in it. Other than the ZL1 Lid I couldn't see any of the motor at all because of all the hosing running around in the Engine Compartment. I thought WTF is all the hose in there so I asked him, he said it was the MM Wild CC Setup. I personally don't want all that hose in there, I would have to even locate the MM CC somewhere else besides where it is supposed to go behind the motor because I already have a Flex Fuel Filter mounter where the MM CC is supposed to go.
it is firstly a functional solution, but i do understand cosmetics are important, once it works right we do what we can to sexy it up. keep in mind the install is almost always done by the owner, so how and well the job is done is not always what is supplied. also depending on what else the particular build has going on in the engine bay, things will get shuffled around and cramped. There is really only one 'new' hose for the wild version compared to what everyone else does, and if you are having a pressure related issue you would find it well worth being there. the mild system can be completely hidden.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i know this is an old post and trust me i read through it haha so in conclusion
if i have a stock engine there is not much need of CC?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Yes get the Catch Can. IF not chasing HP you don't really need the vented, but it won't hurt if you do.

Reactions: sr_capo

·
Registered
578 Posts
I got a BMR catch can for sale if you need one

·
Registered
5 Posts
+1 for vented PCV and Elite Catch. Running a daily with stock short block, but lots of bolt on mods. I pull hard often...so dump the can every other month and you'll be happy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Out of curiosity i was reading about some superchargers going bad but were replaced under warranty, will they replace them without the noises ? Or do they have to make sure the supercharger going bad first? Am just asking because 2021 is the deadline for this car

61 - 70 of 70 Posts