Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
. Just to educate myself, why is it bad to have a CC on the clean side? Does it hurt anything if it's only connecting the valve covers to the intake?
No one has said it's bad, just that it's unnecessary. That line is only intended to backfill the crankcase with fresh air. The flow direction is in, not out.

The CC did have a lot of gunk in it when I dumped it. Slimy water that smelt like gas.
Are you running ethanol?

To be safe, I think your best course of action at this point would be plumbing your CC between the valley and snout, and then restoring the lines between the intake tube and valve covers.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
eeeehhh it's all Greek to me & above my pay grade for motor crank case pressure knowledge. The oil I dump out of the Moroso Catch Can looks clean with no contaminants/sludge that I can see anyway so I'll go with it. The Breather Cap you got me worried on whether I should run it or not so I may take it off & just put the Oil Fill Cap back on ...

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
If you've maintained the flow-through design of your PCV system, this is highly recommended.
That's the whole problem, I have no Idea whether the flowthrough design of the PCV Systew was maintained, I did't put the Catch Can on originally, car was bought that way ...

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
If you've maintained the flow-through design of your PCV system, this is highly recommended.
Hey
Any insight into if the MM wild catch can setup like the photo I posted a few posts back achieves this?

This is all new to me also. The last car I have just had everything vented to atmo. This is a completely different kettle of fish for me.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Any insight into if the MM wild catch can setup like the photo I posted a few posts back achieves this?
It does, but the flow is reversed from the factory configuration. There is no good reason to do this and one bad one to not do it - the valvetrain is now exposed to all the contaminates that exist in the crankcase (blowby particulates, fuel fumes, etc). It's even worse if you're on corn. Plus, any nastiness that might have existed in the valley baffle prior to the CC install can now dislodge and find its way through the engine and redeposit elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
That's the whole problem, I have no Idea whether the flowthrough design of the PCV Systew was maintained, I did't put the Catch Can on originally, car was bought that way ...
Then I would suggest that you put the CC between the valley and snout and then run the fresh air lines between the valve covers and intake. You cannot do better than the factory setup, no matter what the CC sellers try to tell you.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
It does, but the flow is reversed from the factory configuration. There is no good reason to do this and one bad one to not do it - the valvetrain is now exposed to all the contaminates that exist in the crankcase (blowby particulates, fuel fumes, etc). It's even worse if you're on corn. Plus, any nastiness that might have existed in the valley baffle prior to the CC install can now dislodge and find its way through the engine and redeposit elsewhere.

So in theory this would be the better way to set it up.

·
Super Moderator
17,188 Posts
eeeehhh it's all Greek to me & above my pay grade for motor crank case pressure knowledge. The oil I dump out of the Moroso Catch Can looks clean with no contaminants/sludge that I can see anyway so I'll go with it. The Breather Cap you got me worried on whether I should run it or not so I may take it off & just put the Oil Fill Cap back on ...
If you don’t understand it, just go with it........

Not ever recommended.

Catch can oil should be a mix of oil, fuel and water, I would never say it’s clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: STE\/E

·
Super Moderator
17,188 Posts

So in theory this would be the better way to set it up.
This is EXACTLY how a catch can needs to be routed on the dirty side and leave the rest of the OEM system intact as shown on the clean side.

SIMPLE!!!!

Reactions: MYV

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
If you don’t understand it, just go with it........

Not ever recommended.

Catch can oil should be a mix of oil, fuel and water, I would never say it’s clean.

That's what I plan on doing, somebody must have known what they were doing or had instructions when it was originally installed so I'm not changing it ... At least I hope they did anyway

·
Super Moderator
17,188 Posts
That's what I plan on doing, somebody must have known what they were doing or had instructions when it was originally installed so I'm not changing it ... At least I hope they did anyway
Don’t take my obvious sarcasm as advice.

I would never assume anyone installed anything correctly unless I did it myself.

Follow the diagram in the post above.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Sounds like you have the CC attached to the clean side.

I am not a fan of running CC’s on the clean side.

Just install CC on the dirty side, between valley and supercharger snout.

If I'm not mistaken I think this is where my Moroso Catch Can is routed to: Filler Breather has a check ball so probably not doing anything other than looks good ... lol

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
This is EXACTLY how a catch can needs to be routed on the dirty side and leave the rest of the OEM system intact as shown on the clean side.

SIMPLE!!!!

Going by what everyone here is saying yeah that’s correct. Just not what the MM “wild” setup dictates.

Something I found last night with MM which I’m unsure if everyone else knows. You can change the can from Vented, Draft and PCV buy spinning the internal fitting.

·
Registered
369 Posts
this was called to my attention to address some bad information.
-and please in general do not hesitate to get the right and quick answer by going direct to the source.

the MM cans for example used in the mild and WILD systems both run PCV, they do not disable it, they draw the oil out of it, and augment it for more airflow. they also do not (properly assembled and installed) cause any ses code, maf error, 'unmetered air' etc. etc. it of course is and should be transparent to normal operation.

think about it like your fuel system, it is sized for the range of flow designed by gm. if you needed more flow from your fuel system the lines get bigger, the filter flows more etc. GM did not plan on you needing more than your 550hp but we have many around here double that. things need to change to handle this power.

this is the same for the ventilation system, as power increases the pcv oil consumption stops being the only job that needs done. eventually you just need to step it up to handle more AIR flow
-installing a closed can on the pcv side does NOT do anything to increase airflow, actually, ANYTHING you put in-line of a hose will REDUCE its flow. some of the cheaper cans that are very good at catching oil are also very restrictive.
-take care in that second point when considering a dual can option, you are literally starting to block up both ends of the system chasing an oil fix when you really need an AIR fix.

the mm mild system runs within the stock pcv return path, main job in catching the oil, but it has a built in pressure release top (this opens in the absence of vacuum, minimum pressure not required to open)
-the drawback is that it is still regulated by the factory pcv, and therefore can only flow so much. that being said it obviously will out flow the stock system or any system with a fully sealed can.

the mm WILD is a stand alone boost proof pcv system can, main job is stabilizing crankcase airflow. it has much larger than stock vent lines and can move / purge times more air than the factory system when needed
-the reason this looks different, hooks up different than stock or other cans, is because it works different, on purpose, and is unique in this respect.

the LSA has the interesting side effect of the s/c bypass putting the pcv port in a short pressure spike coming off boost, which on a manual trans happens more often, and can in-itself lead to oil leaks, dipstick popping etc.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
this is the same for the ventilation system, as power increases the pcv oil consumption stops being the only job that needs done. eventually you just need to step it up to handle more AIR flow
More air flow from where?

the mm mild system runs within the stock pcv return path, main job in catching the oil, but it has a built in pressure release top (this opens in the absence of vacuum, minimum pressure not required to open)
-the drawback is that it is still regulated by the factory pcv, and therefore can only flow so much. that being said it obviously will out flow the stock system or any system with a fully sealed can.
As long as the fresh air line to the intake tube is intact, the crankcase and PCV system will never see pressure (unless there is a piston ring failure and blowby overloads the system - in which case a flying dipstick is inconsequential), so why even have a pressure relief?

the LSA has the interesting side effect of the s/c bypass putting the pcv port in a short pressure spike coming off boost, which on a manual trans happens more often, and can in-itself lead to oil leaks, dipstick popping etc.
This can never happen. The bypass valve is a normally-closed valve with a strong spring. It is closed during boost. The only way it can open is from manifold vacuum. If there's vacuum in the manifold when the valve opens, where's this so-called pressure spike coming from? In addition, when the throttle blade snaps shut, the SC will evacuate the snout as boost is dropping, so there will be negative pressure on both sides of the bypass valve when it opens. The PCV port will never see pressure, spike or otherwise.

This thread did not have any bad information until you posted.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I'm sorry if I confused you with cold, hard facts. And please note that I have decades of real-world experience. Trying to deflect your lack of understanding with that arrogant 'no education' statement only serves to prove who really needs the real-world experience. Please, point out the errors in my posts.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts