Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been using the search function but that's the problem. I am even more confused now. lol
I was thinking about getting Mighty mouse catch can, but reading older posts. Some say not to have it vented, some say to vent, some say make sure pcv/check valve is there, some say no pcv/check valve. Help, which is it?
I always ran elite catch can with no problems on my f-bodys and corvettes.This is my first supercharged engine and want to get catch can asap.
Car is stock except for airraid and catback.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I have been using the search function but that's the problem. I am even more confused now. lol
I was thinking about getting Mighty mouse catch can, but reading older posts. Some say not to have it vented, some say to vent, some say make sure pcv/check valve is there, some say no pcv/check valve. Help, which is it?
I always ran elite catch can with no problems on my f-bodys and corvettes.This is my first supercharged engine and want to get catch can asap.
Car is stock except for airraid and catback.
Vent to atmosphere is usually race car only IMO. It can stink a bit.

I would tie it back into the intake like stock so you draw a vacuum and pulling a slight vacuum on your crankcase helps improve ring seal and can more power with less blow by.

Reactions: MYV

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the advise

·
Banned
522 Posts
The MM(Mightymouse) cans have a one way out breather to relieve excess crank case pressure. So under normal driving(vacuum) it acts as a sealed system....

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
The MM(Mightymouse) cans have a one way out breather to relieve excess crank case pressure. So under normal driving(vacuum) it acts as a sealed system....
Check valves are an unnecessary, added expense on these engines. There is no crankcase pressure (or vacuum) in a properly plumbed PCV system.

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
Check valves are an unnecessary, added expense on these engines. There is no crankcase pressure (or vacuum) in a properly plumbed PCV system.
So are you essentially saying that a PVC designed can such as the MMS Wild catch can isn't necessary, or is a waste of money?

My intention here is not to be argumentative, just trying to get a better understanding on the topic. I have the MMS can I mentioned installed in my V2.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
So are you essentially saying that a PVC designed can such as the MMS Wild catch can isn't necessary, or is a waste of money?
I don't know what a 'PVC designed can such as the MMS Wild catch can' is, so I can't answer your questions as asked. These systems are designed to be constantly circulating air through the crankcase. As such, there will be no pressure buildup that requires any kind of breather or pressure relief valve.

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
I don't know what a 'PVC designed can such as the MMS Wild catch can' is, so I can't answer your questions as asked. These systems are designed to be constantly circulating air through the crankcase. As such, there will be no pressure buildup that requires any kind of breather or pressure relief valve.
Typo in my original responce if you didn't figure that out. Meant to say "PCV" ... In case you, or anyone else has interest this is the type can design I am referring to:

CTS-V2 Wild PCV can
with -AN inlet and PCV valve exit for high hp and extreme crankcase presure
-connects between oil fill adapter and intake manifold
-includes CTS-V2 blower mounting kit, required hoses and -AN fittings
-if you want to change the mounting kit, or valve cover type, please go to the 'Build-A-Kit' section following this parts list as a guide.
-this kit should be used with extreme caution on road racing applications, overflowing of the breather onto headers can cause a dangerous fire, upgrade to 'Recirculator' top strongly recommended

Install directions here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hubOXqY9Flyg2xPotBYDtELyDR_r_2SmVeEBpNb4Bs0

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Typo in my original responce if you didn't figure that out. Meant to say "PCV" ...
Yeah, I was actually able to figure that out. I didn't know what a MMS Wild can was. Now I do. It's just a pricey catch can that's plumbed so that airflow moves in the opposite direction. Nothing special there, and there will still be no pressure to relieve.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have an RX catch can on my car. Is that supposed to be a decent catch can? I know Corvette guys seem to like them, but don't see them used often on this car. Sorry if it seems like I am hijacking this thread. I just figured it would give you another brand to look at or avoid. I hope the prior.

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
Yeah, I was actually able to figure that out. I didn't know what a MMS Wild can was. Now I do. It's just a pricey catch can that's plumbed so that airflow moves in the opposite direction. Nothing special there, and there will still be no pressure to relieve.
The owner of the company David has a pretty interesting video on YouTube explaining his motivation for the design. Some of the it is over my head, but his explaination seemed to make sense so I bought it and put it in :)

Thanks for all your comments man.

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
I have an RX catch can on my car. Is that supposed to be a decent catch can? I know Corvette guys seem to like them, but don't see them used often on this car. Sorry if it seems like I am hijacking this thread. I just figured it would give you another brand to look at or avoid. I hope the prior.
No worries whatsoever man. The more the merrier. Your question is related to this thread so I certainly encouraged it.

I don't think you will find many fans of the RX can on this forum. Some refer to it as a POS. I honestly cannot comment on it myself. I think most go with the Moroso, and there are a couple other varieties, one of which being the MMS.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm not an engineer by any means but I believe when doubling the boost there needs to be a way to vent crankcase pressure. I chose to put a catch can between the blower and valley like normal and install a CFM breather which has a check valve in it.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Reactions: MYV

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I'm not an engineer by any means but I believe when doubling the boost there needs to be a way to vent crankcase pressure. I chose to put a catch can between the blower and valley like normal and install a CFM breather which has a check valve in it.
The backfill lines from the valve covers to the intake tube are direct ports through the air filter to the atmosphere, which is virtually an infinite volume. And then there's the valley port which is constantly aspirating the crankcase. How can there possibly be any pressure within the crankcase? Your breather is an extraneous piece that will just sit there and look pretty. Hopefully, it won't develop a leak over time.

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
I was able to locate the YouTube video I referred to in my earlier post that the owner of MMS made explaining his rational in designing the PCV can he offers.

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
I've ran a single moroso can on both my V's for years and never had issues... its unvented also
My posting are intended purely as discussion. I haven't suggested that anyone who has a different can other than the MMS design would have issues. Just wanted to make this clear.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I find that video interesting. Never knew what type of - pressure was needed.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts