Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new member having just purchased a 2009 CTSV sedan from Carvana and it's getting dropped off this next Tuesday. After reading through so many threads, I understand that the supercharger isolator issue is something that I should listen for when I inspect it on delivery. While I'll probably have it checked out at a shop before my 7-day return policy is up. And with context that I've been working on cars my entire life and wouldn't have a problem replacing the isolator from what I've read here, "thanks you guys rock btw". My question is and may sound dumb to some of you, if everything else about the car looks good but you can only hear what is most likely the isolator, would you accept it planning to fix the isolator or return it with the delivery driver? Here is a link to give you the same information on the car that I have now before I actually see it in person.

Another thing which pertains to the inspection relates to it's overall shape and how it's been potentially treated. The car has been listed as a corporate vehicle at the same dealership for most of it's life and is in pristine shape from what I can see online and with solid maintenance records. I've read that in these scenarios, the cars may be given as bonuses to dealership management and if so gives me the impression that it may have not been beat on like how it could have been from a private owner who doesn't have someone else's oversight. Anyone's thoughts on this would be appreciated too.

· Premium Member
2009 Sedan
1,365 Posts
I would say if it doesn't make the rock tumbling noise, don't worry about it. If it DOES make the noise, it's not a terrible fix. I don't know what you need to do if it needs stuff taken care of. Do you just tell them what it needs and they try to settle that with you?

· Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would say if it doesn't make the rock tumbling noise, don't worry about it. If it DOES make the noise, it's not a terrible fix. I don't know what you need to do if it needs stuff taken care of. Do you just tell them what it needs and they try to settle that with you?
Thanks for your thoughts on this. I'm just now finding there is a limited warranty under their Carvana Certified Cars provision that wasn't obvious to find. I'm going to contact them to understand what limited means. Hopefully there is nothing wrong, and if there are noises coming from that are that don't sound like rocks, I'll submit a claim and see how that process works. Will post back how everything goes.

· Premium Member
1,391 Posts
I wouldn't have a problem accepting it if the isolator is the only problem. I recently sold my truck to Carvana and I was curious as to how they'd process and list it. Truck was basically perfect ('20 with only 17k on it). They called out the rock chips on the front (super minor) and also a small scratch on the hood I didn't even know was there (of course maybe they caused it but IDK). They also took it to a Ram dealer for service before putting it on their site. I know this because I got an automated 'how did we do?' email from a Ram dealer about 1.5 hours away after. Of course that could differ with an older vehicle. There's always a risk buying used, but it seems like Carvana tries to be as up front as possible. And the 7 day return period helps a lot since you can take the time to look it over or have a trusted shop do it.

· Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't have a problem accepting it if the isolator is the only problem. I recently sold my truck to Carvana and I was curious as to how they'd process and list it. Truck was basically perfect ('20 with only 17k on it). They called out the rock chips on the front (super minor) and also a small scratch on the hood I didn't even know was there (of course maybe they caused it but IDK). They also took it to a Ram dealer for service before putting it on their site. I know this because I got an automated 'how did we do?' email from a Ram dealer about 1.5 hours away after. Of course that could differ with an older vehicle. There's always a risk buying used, but it seems like Carvana tries to be as up front as possible. And the 7 day return period helps a lot since you can take the time to look it over or have a trusted shop do it.
That's reassuring thank you. I traded in my 2015 Chevy Silverado 1500 in this deal which is of course modestly customized. Now I'm a bit anxious to see what they come back with and hopefully they don't lower the trade in price that they gave me. However, I did hear that for trade in vehicles like this are often sold wholesale to dealers and won't go on their marketplace.

· Premium Member
1,391 Posts
That's reassuring thank you. I traded in my 2015 Chevy Silverado 1500 in this deal which is of course modestly customized. Now I'm a bit anxious to see what they come back with and hopefully they don't lower the trade in price that they gave me. However, I did hear that for trade in vehicles like this are often sold wholesale to dealers and won't go on their marketplace.
Unless you seriously misrepresented your truck when answering the questions, nothing will change. I requested a paper check which was already pre-printed and sent with the flat bed truck driver. He didn't even drive it around the block. Took a few pics, we signed a few papers, and he loaded it up.

· Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unless you seriously misrepresented your truck when answering the questions, nothing will change. I requested a paper check which was already pre-printed and sent with the flat bed truck driver. He didn't even drive it around the block. Took a few pics, we signed a few papers, and he loaded it up.
Definitely no misrepresentation. Will see how everything plays out.

· Registered
1,855 Posts
Car looks good and doesn't seem to have been too close to any parking block as the lower lip on both sides of the front are not bent.

I'd say give it the once over and call it good. The isolator isn't a hard fix and might as well add a pulley when the snout is off.

But then the MOD bug will bite you!

· Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Car looks good and doesn't seem to have been too close to any parking block as the lower lip on both sides of the front are not bent.

I'd say give it the once over and call it good. The isolator isn't a hard fix and might as well add a pulley when the snout is off.

But then the MOD bug will bite you!
Thanks for taking a look at it.

I have a mighty mouse mild catch can coming in soon so the lid is coming off for inspection and cleaning. Maybe I'll have to do the pulley at that time even if there isn't an isolator issue. :sneaky:

Holy shit! I need to put mine up for sale!

Congrats on the purchase.
Because of the ridiculous prices that used cars are going for right now?

· Registered
35 Posts
Taking it to a shop that knows these cars during the first seven days gets my vote. As I understand it, a little bit of rattle around the supercharger at idle is OK and not a sign of impending doom. But a mechanic that knows these supercharged engines will be able to tell right away. If that checks out then my next step would be to start new with all fluids and filters. There are many threads debating the merits of these various liquids. That is awesome mileage for an '09, I hope it all works out!

Reactions: chalizmo

· Registered
3,365 Posts
However, if your V is delivered like this I'd refuse it.
How is the driver's first reaction to try to stop it with his hands and not tilt the bed back up? lol what an idiot.

You can clearly tell they will hire anyone with a pulse to deliver these cars...

· Registered
396 Posts
I'd focus more on oil pressure than anything.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.