Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On the way to work this morning I merge onto the freeway under fairly heavy acceleration (~60%) and the engine falls flat on its face. As I let the gas pedal out it resumes acceleration. After driving a good 20 minutes when the engine was warm I attempted another acceleration and the engine fell on its face again, just heavily bogged down. During this time I had already made it out of the city and it was no longer raining/misting.

A few things to note; this morning was unseasonably cold with our cold front that came through so the air temps were in the low 30's whereas it has been ~70 ambient here lately. It was also extremely wet out with a heavy mist/rain. 1/2 tank of gas as well.

The car has never once behaved this way and I don't have HpTuners to run any logs. I can only think of the MAF sensor getting erratic readings somehow. Boost dump perhaps? I have no clue.

Have any of you experienced anything like this? The car idles just fine and runs well up to about 60% load. If you slowly apply gas then the car runs great.

Thanks for any insight

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Cutting out like a fuel supply issue or just down on power?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More like fuel supply. Completely cuts out/bogs. All stock engine parts minus CAI

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
could be the infamous elbow leak, or pump(s) tired and struggling.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
could be the infamous elbow leak, or pump(s) tired and struggling.
That is a possibility. I just figured something weather related since this has never happened and it hasn't been this cold in 4 or 5 months. I'll just see how it behaves on the drive home this afternoon and try to rule out a few items.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Try cleaning your MAF sensor, if it's dirty the car will have that problem
Just curious, what is the best way to clean it? Will electronic cleaner spray work or just use air?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I won't be able to get HpTuners, or a tune, for another month or two and I just so happen to have MAF cleaner at the house so I'll do that this evening

·
Dick Pickles
5,752 Posts
Have you checked your plug gaps? I had a similar issue a few years ago. The car sits a lot, but always performed flawlessly when needed. Then one day, on my way to pick up my son from school, the car was stumbling everywhere. I couldn’t go more than 40mph and it was a challenge getting there. Turns out, I neglected the spark plugs. :( They had slowly opened the gap over time, and it finally came to a head. New plugs and not neglecting them solved my issue. I’ve also had stumbling issues on other cars when a ground on the back of the motor came loose. Just some food for thought. It’s always fun chasing a new found issue.

Reactions: Rumdig

·
Registered
762 Posts
Prdnme just reminded me, under the intake tube, next to the air filter box, there is a grounding bolt. it will not hurt to remove it and clean the terminals (and the bolt) than put it back together. That ground bolt causes all kinds of problems.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Had an '06 TL with the same problem. When I would try to accelerate aggressively, the car would not have it. It was as if my grandmother was in control of the acceleration like, "Nice try, Speedy! I think we shall accelerate at MY level of comfort." But if I would ease into the gas with a slow and steady foot, I could go as fast as I wanted. In my case, it ended up being a clogged third catalytic converter.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I tested the car on the drive home yesterday and again this morning, the issue no longer exists. I had assumed, due to the weather that came in that night, this would likely be due to either the cold or moisture. It is still the same temperature outside therefore I assume moisture had something to do with it.

I did read that somebody else (LSA platform) had this issue and it was their MAF sensor getting wet, probably from a leaky air filter. I just had mine apart a month ago and did not see any rips or tears, I also don't think that I caused one putting it back together.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I tested the car on the drive home yesterday and again this morning, the issue no longer exists. I had assumed, due to the weather that came in that night, this would likely be due to either the cold or moisture. It is still the same temperature outside therefore I assume moisture had something to do with it.

I did read that somebody else (LSA platform) had this issue and it was their MAF sensor getting wet, probably from a leaky air filter. I just had mine apart a month ago and did not see any rips or tears, I also don't think that I caused one putting it back together.

Clean the bitch anyway 🤣😁

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
True. I'll get to it soon. The POS G35 is getting attention right now with some hollowed out CATs

·
Registered
35 Posts
On the way to work this morning I merge onto the freeway under fairly heavy acceleration (~60%) and the engine falls flat on its face. As I let the gas pedal out it resumes acceleration. After driving a good 20 minutes when the engine was warm I attempted another acceleration and the engine fell on its face again, just heavily bogged down. During this time I had already made it out of the city and it was no longer raining/misting.

A few things to note; this morning was unseasonably cold with our cold front that came through so the air temps were in the low 30's whereas it has been ~70 ambient here lately. It was also extremely wet out with a heavy mist/rain. 1/2 tank of gas as well.

The car has never once behaved this way and I don't have HpTuners to run any logs. I can only think of the MAF sensor getting erratic readings somehow. Boost dump perhaps? I have no clue.

Have any of you experienced anything like this? The car idles just fine and runs well up to about 60% load. If you slowly apply gas then the car runs great.

Thanks for any insight
if it was still damp out, are you sure it wasn't the traction control killing it due to tire slip?

·
Registered
87 Posts
if it was still damp out, are you sure it wasn't the traction control killing it due to tire slip?
This ^^^ That's exactly what mine does sporadically when the TCS is on. Feels like it falls flat on it's face when it shifts, cold tires, cold streets, almost totally unpredictable during weather changes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts