Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The sound is differant, while idling it rocks side to side now, also backfires loudly. The car has been running great.
Last time I drove it, it was during a heavy rain storm but it ran fine. There are NO check engine lights.
It's to hot to check it out at this moment. Sounds like the driver side exhaust pipes got louder next to the car.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
log it and post hpt file

should see somthing in fuel trims to help . could also check temps of primaries coming out of the head with a temp gun , sounds like a miss fire. Should see one or more cylinders running hotter or colder than the rest .

·
Premium Member
2014 CTS-V Sedan A6
1,182 Posts
A loose plug wire will cause back firing and also surging under a load.

Has anyone actually had a stuck injector? I've never see one in my life. I hear about them, but have never seen a stuck injector.

Sorry for the side bar question.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I've seen a couple stuck injectors, one was literally stuffed with rust and one was varnished like a mother fucker. It doesn't log a misfire though since electrically there isn't actually a problem. Doesn't happen often on gas motors... Diesels on the other hand.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, after sitting in the house pouting. I raised the hood to troubleshoot the cause.
Driver side:
1st thing I did was pull the MAF sencor and cleaned it.
2nd Tighten the screw under the air filter
3rd found a loose hose clamp (it slid right off) intake tube.
4th checked all plug wires, making sure they are seated.
5th emptied the catch can, for good measure.
Passenger side:
started checking all plug wire, and right away saw # 6 wire was not on the coil (Yes, thank you god) I was so happy to find that. put it all together and it's back strong.

But those first areas would have caused me issues later.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great, o_O now I have a power steering leak somewhere. 🤮 🤢small puddle under car. I know she's 7 years old, but come on. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
It doesn't log a misfire though since electrically there isn't actually a problem
Misfire detection knows when a cylinder is firing, and looks for a small change in rotational speed of the crank associated with the firing of the cylinder to determine if the cylinder fired. No speed change detected = misfire. There may be something that also knows if a plug didn't fire electrically. But misfires should be registered if a cylinder doesn't fire, regardless of why it doesn't fire.

When misfire detection was added as a requirement by our government, many auto manufacturers dropped their manual transmission configurations for that model year, because getting misfire detection to work with a manual transmission was, apparently, hard to do.

·
Registered
868 Posts
A p0300 maybe, but as far as mechanical misfires there is no way for the computer to know which cylinder... And a p0300 may take quite a while to show.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No CEL, I really need learn the ends & outs of this motor. Every since cars when to computers, I've had that "Fuck That Computer Attitude" give me a carburator and a timing light and I'm all set. I'm a child of the 60's era.

·
Premium Member
2014 CTS-V Sedan A6
1,182 Posts
Ok, after sitting in the house pouting. I raised the hood to troubleshoot the cause.
Driver side:
1st thing I did was pull the MAF sencor and cleaned it.
2nd Tighten the screw under the air filter
3rd found a loose hose clamp (it slid right off) intake tube.
4th checked all plug wires, making sure they are seated.
5th emptied the catch can, for good measure.
Passenger side:
started checking all plug wire, and right away saw # 6 wire was not on the coil (Yes, thank you god) I was so happy to find that. put it all together and it's back strong.

But those first areas would have caused me issues later.
I figured it was a loose plug wire.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts