Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car is about to go in for the following:

BTR stage 3 cam
Kooks headers and catless X-pipe
2.5 upper
Weapon x Heat exhanger and pump
Supporting stuff, plugs, wires, injectors catch can etc.....

From browsing the forum I'm thinking this should get me to around 650 at the wheels. Does that sound right? Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
20,830 Posts
No lower pulley, but doing a cam, and changing the upper pulley?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,518 Posts
^^This. Get a lower 9.1 to complement the 2.5, and you'll be there. You're already removing the balancer....

Reactions: Overclock This

·
Super Moderator
20,830 Posts

BTR stage 3 cam
2.5 upper

From browsing the forum I'm thinking this should get me to around 650 at the wheels. Does that sound right? Thoughts?
Cam and 2.5” upper, I don’t think it’s enough to get to 650.

·
Super Moderator
20,830 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys. 9.1/2.5 preferred combo?
It depends on what you are trying to do.

9.1/2.5 is great for boost and heat, but if you want power, do the heads and ethanol if it’s available.

It’s about goals, usage, and budget.

You didn’t specify any of those. So it’s a crapshoot on what to recommend, but with the list you provided, I think you’re closer to 600 on pump gas, and much of that is from the cam.

I don’t think your list that I quoted is a good combo for drag racing, unless you intend to do so on street radials, not drag radials.

The stage 3 cam is for more midrange and higher rpm power, but the heads, in stock form, tend to stall about .550” lift, plus under 300 CFM peak flow and you’re not going to have enough air in the engine to make a lot of power about 6200 rpm.

All this basically comes down to, IMO, the setup is for a healthy sounding idle, very manageable heat (this part is good), but a little soft on the hit and poor fuel economy.

I don’t mean to sound like it’s a bad combo, I just want to point out it may or may not be what you envision.

·
Registered
640 Posts
ID1050, should give you all the fuel you need, provide room for growth and support E85. ID1300 are my personal favorite because they support such a wide hp range, but I would only use them for a max effort build plus their very expensive.

Reactions: MYV

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It depends on what you are trying to do.

9.1/2.5 is great for boost and heat, but if you want power, do the heads and ethanol if it’s available.

It’s about goals, usage, and budget.

You didn’t specify any of those. So it’s a crapshoot on what to recommend, but with the list you provided, I think you’re closer to 600 on pump gas, and much of that is from the cam.

I don’t think your list that I quoted is a good combo for drag racing, unless you intend to do so on street radials, not drag radials.

The stage 3 cam is for more midrange and higher rpm power, but the heads, in stock form, tend to stall about .550” lift, plus under 300 CFM peak flow and you’re not going to have enough air in the engine to make a lot of power about 6200 rpm.

All this basically comes down to, IMO, the setup is for a healthy sounding idle, very manageable heat (this part is good), but a little soft on the hit and poor fuel economy.

I don’t mean to sound like it’s a bad combo, I just want to point out it may or may not be what you envision.

Awesome response thanks for the help.

I do mostly street driving with occasional trips to mexico or the drag strip. Run MT ET Street R at the track.

Budget is about 9k with install and tuning. I was quoted by my shop $8200 for what i listed. Im sure i could add a lower and stay in budget. I dont think heads fit in the budget and closest E85 station is 35 miles away so thats not really an option either. Plus, the car is not daily driven and I have been told theat E85 eats up injectors, lines, etc if it sits.

This will not be the last round of mods so maybe heads will be on the next round.

My initial goal with this build was to be in the 6s 1/8th mile and be quicker from a roll on the street etc.

Meeting with the guys at my shop next week so I want to have as much info as I can before I put down a deposit and they order parts. 9k isnt crazy money but it aint a drop in the bucket either so I want to make sure im happy with what i get.

Also, for the record I already have an Airraid installed and corsa sports (not that this adds any power).

·
Registered
257 Posts

BTR stage 3 cam
2.5 upper

I don't think the stock fuel pump always hold that level safely. manual or auto?

·
Super Moderator
20,830 Posts
Yeah, no issue on stock pumps until you go beyond 700 on gasoline.

I think I read 750 on gasoline, which is really hard to get with the 1900 blower on stock cubes anyway, at least w/ an auto, is where the pumps max out.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
I'm curious why the shop you got the quote from didn't suggest/insist you do the lower while while you're in that deep.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts