Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have run flat tires on the car (obviously) and I need to get new tires right about now. Has anyone had experience with putting normal tires on? I would prefer a longer tire life than I am getting out of the run flats. I know there is a space in the trunk, will it fit a spare? I have the black/graphite OEM wheels on the car. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
21,231 Posts
Why is it obvious?

I've never had run-flats on any car, and don't care to.

I suppose if I lived far from any service or tire center I might consider it, but not without hesitation.

You can get a spare though.

Sent from my local E85 station.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
You can put non-runflat tires on a car that came with runflats. Runflat tires have very thick sidewalls and don't provide the best handling. Just go with the same size in a non-runflat.

I can't say if a full-size spare tire will fit, though almost certainly a space-saver will.

·
Premium Member
17,895 Posts
Get a good roadside service plan. They weigh less than a spare tire. Consider it a performance enhancement...

Reactions: Master357

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didn't your car come from the factory with runflats? I am at 13,000 miles with my car and finally gone through the factory tires. Thanks for advice, I am going to give the non-runflats a shot!

·
Super Moderator
17,344 Posts
The V2's never came with run flats. Michelin PS2's, an inflator kit and no spare tire or jack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That being said, what tires would be the best recommendation? I want something that would be a slight upgrade from the factory tires if possible, but still well balanced are performance, longevity, etc. Thanks again all!

·
Super Moderator
17,344 Posts
Michelin pilot super sports

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great, done. Suggestions on where to buy? I was going to go ahead and order this morning.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Get a good roadside service plan. They weigh less than a spare tire. Consider it a performance enhancement...
Ya, if you don't mind waiting hours for someone to show up when you could change the flat yourself in a matter of minutes.

·
Super Moderator
17,344 Posts
Great, done. Suggestions on where to buy? I was going to go ahead and order this morning.
The usual suspects, tire rack, discount tire, but check your local tire shops, always surprising how they price match

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Khumo Ecsta from Wal-Mart.
Decent for track days, impressive in wet.
Wearing pretty well & easy on the wallet.

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Exactly which tires do you have?

On my JGCSRT8 I had Goodyear RS-A EMT's from the factory and they sucked. Everyone switched not non-run flats and life was so much better. No spare in those jeeps either so standard was to get an air pump and a plug kit. Worked for me.

I will say I had one incident where the run flat worked well for me. On the highway, ran over a segmented counter-hose and it decided to jump out and puncture my tire. Could barely tell I had a flat save for the loud pop and low tire pressure indicator. Was able to make it home with a chunk of metal in my tire that a plug kit would not have fixed.

·
Super Moderator
21,231 Posts
RSA tires suck. I swapped them on my TBSS and it handled much better, and I had 20k of tread left on the RSA's when I took them off.

Sent from my local E85 station.

·
Premium Member
17,895 Posts
Ya, if you don't mind waiting hours for someone to show up when you could change the flat yourself in a matter of minutes.
I get ya. But I did say a GOOD plan. And you still have to lug the extra weight around with you all the time...that was kinda my point.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts