Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a quick search and didn't find much on a DIY procedures for a cam swap. My experience is with SBC and BBC engines and I have never seen the inside of an LS, so I could use a little help here. I just read that to do a lifter swap, you have to pop the heads off, correct? Well how the heck do you pull the cam with the lifters still in the bore? Am I going to have to remove the heads too for a cam swap? Help, I'm confused

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did a quick search and didn't find much on a DIY procedures for a cam swap. My experience is with SBC and BBC engines and I have never seen the inside of an LS, so I could use a little help here. I just read that to do a lifter swap, you have to pop the heads off, correct? Well how the heck do you pull the cam with the lifters still in the bore? Am I going to have to remove the heads too for a cam swap? Help, I'm confused
You don't have to pull the heads. After you take the rockers and pushrods out spin the cam a couple of times and the lifters should stay up off of the cam.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
There is a very good DIY over on one of the Camaro sites. I don’t remember exactly where but a link has been posted in previous cam threads here

·
Registered
91 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Many things you left out. Such as miles on your car? This will drive whether or not you should swap lifters or what other work you may be budgeting for? Head port-n-polish?
I just did all this an more.. check out thread. http://www.ctsvowners.com/forum/5-transmission/133721-gettn-old.html
Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Don't rely on the lifters staying up in the retainers use the wood dowel method cheap insurance so you don't have to drop the oil pan when one falls!

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Many things you left out. Such as miles on your car? This will drive whether or not you should swap lifters or what other work you may be budgeting for? Head port-n-polish?
I just did all this an more.. check out thread. http://www.ctsvowners.com/forum/5-transmission/133721-gettn-old.html
Good Luck.
Thanks Florida Vee. Mileage is 21433 right now and will only go up very little as its not my daily. I'm looking at going very conservative on the cam, a Stage 1 is all I want. Trying to go the sleeper route right now. I am giving some thought of sending the factory heads off for some port work thou.....

Alright, just breezed thru your post, congrats on the build up. I did get a chuckle or 2 seeing some of the struggles with the oil pump situation. If I dive that deep, which I just might do, I think I'll yank the motor. Thanks for sharing that

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Thanks Florida Vee. Mileage is 21433 right now and will only go up very little as its not my daily. I'm looking at going very conservative on the cam, a Stage 1 is all I want. Trying to go the sleeper route right now. I am giving some thought of sending the factory heads off for some port work thou.....
Understood. IMO if you pull heads get the work done.. As you will see it's much different than SBC, and to do it a second time would suc. And just my thoughts,,, but if you do head work the stage 2 cam from Matt @LT1z is sleeper and your tuner could help with hiding any lope which I believe is not much, but the gains would be more in the mid to up range over the stage 1. good luck though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts