Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed at nauseam over the years, but what do you think the limits of my rotating assembly are?

I believe the safe limit might be 1k crank. I never had any intention of ever making this kind of power in 2017, so this rotating assembly seemed plenty for a goal of 700whp at the time.

Do you think my setup will be safe up to 1000whp/900wtq?

Current specs:
LME 416 with LSA block, Callies Compstar forged 4.0 crank and 6.125" H beam connecting rods with Wiseco forged pistons and ARP hardware.

Right now I am detuned to 831/762 but if goes as it should I expect to add about 100-120whp and about 100wtq.

·
Premium Member
16,088 Posts
The LSA block will distort long before the crank will.

There's a difference between "losing ring seal and power" or "moving main bearings at 6k," and outright failure from big power.

You'll probably have shortened main bearing life with the LSA block at that power level, but I'd expect the crank to handle it no problem.

The compstar cranks are Chinesium, but finished in the US - what I've read is 1000 rwhp is a good rule of thumb for upper limits but as with all things Chinese, your mileage may vary.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The LSA block will distort long before the crank will.

There's a difference between "losing ring seal and power" or "moving main bearings at 6k," and outright failure from big power.

You'll probably have shortened main bearing life with the LSA block at that power level, but I'd expect the crank to handle it no problem.

Oh okay, so it sounds like I will be flirting with danger if I add any additional power to the engine then. I never thought the LSA block would become the next limiting factor.

What forged rotating assembly are you using and are you still using the stock block as well?

·
Premium Member
16,088 Posts
Bro, I'm well past OEM. :D

I bought the longblock I have from OG member Adianity, so he gets all the credit - but its an ERL block (think "aftermarket") but is ultimately a highly reworked/ reinforced GM aluminum casting with darton sleeves and a US forged callies magnum crank (same as dragonslayer but more finishing work IIRC). Lunati I-beam rods.

It should be good for 4 digits. :) the crank is rated for 2k HP IIRC.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh okay. I remember that OG member! He was one of the fastest cars on this forum. Well, you have a stout setup then that should safely handle whatever the 2650 can produce.

My engine has been solid since I got it built in 2017, but I dont feel as confident about the strength of build anymore.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The LSA block and rods are the weakest links there.
In your experience with tuning/building cars have you seen many people with a similar setup to me live successfully at those power levels?

·
Premium Member
16,088 Posts
In your experience with tuning/building cars have you seen many people with a similar setup to me live successfully at those power levels?
Live... for how long?

·
Vendor
13,206 Posts
Yes but it all depends on how it is used. Some people race frequently and those people will experience issues sooner then someone who makes XXX on the dyno and goes to the track twice a year.

It could live forever if rarely abused

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes but it all depends on how it is used. Some people race frequently and those people will experience issues sooner then someone who makes XXX on the dyno and goes to the track twice a year.

It could live forever if rarely abused
That makes sense. This car is a weekend warrior car that I drive about every other weekend. During those times I drive very conservatively for the type of power I have. During these times I may occasionally make a short pull or two from 60 to a out 110-120 or take off hard off idle from a light. I would also like to try the slip stream event one weekend as well. That‘s about the extent of the abuse from me. Most of the abuse the car will see will be on the dyno getting dialed in.

To be perfectly honest I typically drive my other two vehicles more spiritedly than this car because I am far less likely to get in trouble with the flexion of my ankle lol. 😆

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Vendor
13,206 Posts
That makes sense. This car is a weekend warrior car that I drive about every other weekend. During those times I drive very conservatively for the type of power I have. During these times I may occasionally make a short pull or two from 60 to a out 110-120 or take off hard off idle from a light. I would also like to try the slip stream event one weekend as well. That‘s about the extent of the abuse from me. Most of the abuse the car will see will be on the dyno getting dialed in.

To be perfectly honest I typically drive my other two vehicles more spiritedly than this car because I am far less likely to get in trouble with the flexion of my ankle lol.
I wouldnt worry about it then at your current power level

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1 - 13 of 13 Posts