Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
221 - 240 of 294 Posts

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
I don't care what you think about this guy's politics...much like I don't care who is more liberal or Libertarian in their leaning.

He is a car guy.

This sort of Dovetails into this thread.

View attachment 153406
I thought new cars didn’t have to pass smog in Cali for the first 2 years or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
I thought new cars didn’t have to pass smog in Cali for the first 2 years or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You need a smog test if buying out of state upon initial registration.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
That is pretty crazy if its 8 years. Even 4 years is pretty good. No wonder you see so many videos of brand new expensive ass cars modded to hell in Cali they are the only cars you can logistically mod and not get in trouble. Just sell out of state after the 4 or 8 years is up.

·
Registered
464 Posts
FYI - modified tune and just got my new NJ inspection sticker. I know NY & NJ follow some of rules from the crazies in CA so I wanted to post for others that might have been a little worried as I was. Might come this way at some point but not yet.

·
Registered
239 Posts
If you want a sure thing, you're going to need your tune put back to stock, no visible mods, and the invisible mods tame enough that the factory tune runs within its tolerances, sets all emissions monitors, and doesn't have any codes... I'm not even convinced that a gear ratio swap from MT to AT or vice versa would pass. You would need to reset the gear ratio in the computer. This would then change the CVN = automatic fail in California. Not sure what the referee stations think about this, as I doubt they can tell the difference between a tune where only the gear ratio was changed vs. one where everything was changed.

Tim

·
Premium Member
17,434 Posts
I'm waiting for the inevitable news coverage on how these laws disparately impact the poor and "undocumented."

Any more experiences with the smog checks and all that? We had smog for like a minute here in Southern Ohio in the 1990's. They spent millions building up testing centers, realized it was a huge, massive pain and expense for everyone, and basically cost more than it earned in taxes, so it was abandoned most everywhere but the bluest of counties. I think Cleveland still does smog?

·
Premium Member
13,813 Posts
our little history of checks here went like this:

-tailpipe sniffer and safety inspection
-tail pipe sniffer with wheel dyno, safety inspection, monitored by cameras ( some heavier -vehicles and older vehicles exempt from wheel dyno but had to pass tailpipe emissions
-OBDII and safety only

The vehicle emissions testing exemption in New York ( still has to pass safety inspection ) extends to the following vehicles:

Electric cars, not including hybrids
Motorcycles
Historic vehicles
Vehicles less than 2 model years old
Vehicles older than 25 years
always an independent shop would pay for the equipment, stickers, etc. Someone has to get licensed to perform the inspection then from there pretty much anyone in the shop ends up doing them.
They keep an unknown percentage of the inspection fee which is currently at $37 for anything 2 years old

They will allow a car that fails to continue being driven with an emissions testing exemption so long as you meet certain criteria. In other words they dont make it illegal to operate your car.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
California seems very anti-automotive. My friend live in San Diego. Can't do this cant do that. Can't paint. Can't wash. Car Hobby in California??? I think if your a movie star, or Jay Leno. My friend also says the roads in Ca suck. Although that is true for my state also.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
California seems very anti-automotive. My friend live in San Diego. Can't do this cant do that. Can't paint. Can't wash.
Worse than that. CA is anti-ICE. In 2024 a small engine ban goes into effect which includes lawnmowers and leaf blowers. Who's going to be the first to make an electric riding mower for all the multi acre estates?

221 - 240 of 294 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.