Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
181 - 200 of 232 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
So does TN not require a yearly inspection to renew your registration? That's how it is in TX.

·
Registered
258 Posts
So does TN not require a yearly inspection to renew your registration? That's how it is in TX.

I'm from Memphis, TN which is in Shelby county, there are a few counties in TN that still require an annual inspection, but not Shelby County, they stopped in 2013. And I also have a nephew in Florida, the entire state of Florida stopped emissions testing in the early 2000s if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Counties around Nashville still require an emissions test (which is a code check for OBD2 cars). It was voted away a few years ago, but they have been going through political hurdles to fully get rid of it. The current word is by the end of this year it will be gone.

Reactions: Lt1z

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I listed it as a gift, if I have to pay taxes I'll pay them myself, in the end it'll be well worth it to get away from the nuttiness of California.
The gift tax is interesting. If your wife's name was on the title you could technically say it was a gift from both of you which increases the gift exclusion ($15k per person). Otherwise you have to fill out the IRS form for the gift amount over $15k depending on the fair market value of the car (could use NADA or KBB whichever is lower but im not a CPA lol).

Depending on the state you also might have to pay the title advalorem taxes (we do in GA) which is 7% of the "fair market value" of the car and its bullshit. Even if you already own a car and move here you have to pay 7% tax again to fucking register it.
A racket lobbied for by the stealerships because most people moving here from out of state have to end up just trading their car in to a dealer and you conveniently get to deduct the trade in value from the purchase price and only pay tax on the difference... seems unconstitutional to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Exactly Heavymetals, that's exactly how it will be.
why would you need to be added on the insurance as a driver at all? you can drive someone's car without being listed on the insurance, am i wrong? or would i need to have both myself and my fiance listed on the insurance to be ok driving a car in ca, thats registered out of state to someone else (ie. a sister)?

·
Registered
963 Posts
why would you need to be added on the insurance as a driver at all? you can drive someone's car without being listed on the insurance, am i wrong? or would i need to have both myself and my fiance listed on the insurance to be ok driving a car in ca, thats registered out of state to someone else (ie. a sister)?
When pulled over, they ask for registration and proof of insurance.
Some cops interpret that as you showing you are insured on the vehicle even if you're not the registered owner.

·
Premium Member
13,450 Posts
a cop wouldnt know unless you were specifically listed on the ID card
"this is my sister's car" is probably a good way to get yourself gone over pretty good

Have your sister put her maiden name on the card so the cop doesnt think too much more of it and start to look up your butthole with a flashlight

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Counties around Nashville still require an emissions test (which is a code check for OBD2 cars). It was voted away a few years ago, but they have been going through political hurdles to fully get rid of it. The current word is by the end of this year it will be gone.
I know the state of TN sucks and all...

Really, it's awful here, stay away.

Reactions: random84

·
Super Moderator
21,711 Posts
I have been thinking about retiring to either TN, VA, or NC, actually.
A few other areas are of interest, but these are the main ones.

Well, perhaps the term is relocating, I don’t really think I want to retire. I get bored to easily and then I spend too much money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
258 Posts
I grew up in Memphis, TN, I retired from the Air Force and stayed in Cali, I have no plans to ever go back to that part of the country, I don't miss the heat, humidity, thunderstorms and the mosquitoes, my god the mosquitoes.....lol!!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts

Well, perhaps the term is relocating, I don’t really think I want to retire. I get bored to easily and then I spend too much money.
Do it. When I retired I moved from a Chicago suburb to NW Ohio and it made a huge reduction to my cost of living. Real estate taxes down 2/3, gas down $1 per gallon, etc.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts

The summer humidity and mosquitos here can be rough. Winters can have a few weeks of bitter cold, but snow is rare. But our spring and fall are perfect. You won't find so-cal weather anywhere else in the country though.

West TN, Middle TN and East TN vary a lot in weather and scenery. I couldn't live in West TN (TN river west including memphis). I worked there for months at a previous job and It's like living in the plains as far as weather is concerned. East TN is more mountainous and has more snow in winter. Middle TN is a good mix. Nashville has more to do and more industry than anywhere else which is the main draw. We have a good minor league baseball team, so does Memphis.

Since you like Golf, look at Crossville. It's in between Nashville and Knoxville. Leaving you courses around either big city a day trip and Crossville has a lot of courses. I'm not a golfer, but Crossville is apparently a golf vacation spot.

Reactions: SoCalDave and Karch

·
Registered
3,042 Posts

GA or NC.
I wouldn't live in TN/SC/AL/MS etc

·
Registered
570 Posts
We're exploring our options to relo to East TN (suburbs of Knox) - great climate compared to Texas and it'd be nice to have highways that go 65-70mph again instead of 45mph

·
Super Moderator
21,711 Posts
Thanks for the 411. I do like some mountains in view at least, I don’t deal with plains well at all, it literally depresses me.

Lack of mlb might be an issue. I went last night to the game, solo for the first time in my life.

It wasn’t bad at all. Took a free shuttle, a nice young couple in line gave me two alcoholic sodas (I never drink them but they were cold and they were very gracious in offering), game was good.

·
Registered
570 Posts
When I lived in Dallas I always preferred going to the MiLB games over the MLB game - the AA teams usually are stacked with MLB-ready talent and are much more "kid-friendly" and are easier to get to, cheaper food, cheaper beer, cheaper parking, etc. Def worth checking out if you're ever near one

·
Registered
317 Posts
Since you like Golf, look at Crossville. It's in between Nashville and Knoxville. Leaving you courses around either big city a day trip and Crossville has a lot of courses. I'm not a golfer, but Crossville is apparently a golf vacation spot.
My in-laws were born and raised in Crossville. It's a nice place to visit but there has to be some reason they decided to raise their family elsewhere. They did move back for a while in the late nineties-early 2000's but it didn't last long. They've been in the Carolina's ever since.

181 - 200 of 232 Posts