Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my 2016 ATS-V detailed and waxed yesterday. The detailer was nice enough to point out about quarter sized area on the carbon fiber hood where the clear coat has failed. And also lots of bubbles in the seal around the windshield, said he cannot find any leaks yet, but the installation is a crap job. May not be leaking now but it will. And yea, I bought the car brand new.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I think their quality has declined also. Was looking to upgrade my 2nd generation Escalade with the 4th that looks great but talked to to many people that have them and said took elsewhere. Lots of problems for what you have to pay for it. Went with a Lexus, think they still concerned with quality.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I think their quality has declined also. Was looking to upgrade my 2nd generation Escalade with the 4th that looks great but talked to to many people that have them and said took elsewhere. Lots of problems for what you have to pay for it. Went with a Lexus, think they still concerned with quality.
If I was going for Luxury SUV like an Escalade now I would look at a Navigator, the new one looks high quality at least in materials (not sure about build quality/reliability).

Lexus LX570 is real nice though!

Reactions: MYV

·
Registered
123 Posts
They do look the best out of the large SUV's but still a Ford. Cost doesn't mean quality anymore. Land Rover's suck for reliability as do BMWs from what I'm told. Guess so much technology in the new luxury models more can go wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,726 Posts
Reactions: RobF300

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I'm guessing that when they finished the design (which looks like the might have spent maybe an entire day working on it), someone said "you know, a box on 4 wheels just isn't jazzy enough. Let's give it a tail light that goes across the whole back of the car. It'll look like a spaceship!".

Looks like a minivan to me. Ick.

All cars have problems, none are perfect. What matters to me is how well the car is serviced when a problem occurs. I've had problems with Ford service (major problems) and I've had problems with Chrysler service. Toyota was OK. Nissan was OK. I've been surprisingly happy with Mitsubishi (flat-bedded the Evo X to the dealer for what I expected would be $10K of fixes to the electrical system and 4WD, and they fixed it all for free even though the car was out of warranty). And Kia was great, but it was a GM-Kia dealer so it was GM techs servicing the car (but I'll never buy another Kia. It bruised my Chi to drive it). Land Rover is a tough call. They come and fetch the car for service, leaving a loaner, which my wife loves since the dealer is 50 miles away. But the damn thing does seem to need service a bit more often than my fleet of GMs. GM service has really been pretty good. In some cases substantially better than good (like my recent sway bar upgrade. Dealer said they'd do it for the book rate of 2.5 hours but the job actually took closer to 7 hours and all they charged me for was the 2.5). And I've made use of a few different GM dealer service centers, both in MA and FL, all satisfactory experiences.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dealer says the paint issue is due to environmental issues, likely bird droppings and warrant won't cover it, however they offered to polish it out no charge. Also ordered a new windshield to fix the issue with the seal

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Dealer says the paint issue is due to environmental issues, likely bird droppings and warrant won't cover it, however they offered to polish it out no charge. Also ordered a new windshield to fix the issue with the seal
Fuck Cadillac for trying to make things right

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yeah, because you can totally polish out failed clear coat... What a joke on their end. I'd look for another dealer.

Reactions: Troponin

·
2X 9 second club
11,148 Posts
can you post pictures of the clearcoat spot?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
can you post pictures of the clearcoat spot?
I'll take a pic of it. They says it's acid etching in the clear coat.

I am going to take it somewhere else for repairs. I looked at some of the body work at the dealers body shop. No damn way those baboons are touching my car. I saw an suv with a 20" paint run in it, fenders with gap issues, poorly repaired wheels.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Cadillac’s paint has been shit for a while. I see contaminates in my wife’s 2018s paint and I have some inconsistencies all over in mine. I also found stitching in her car that just went crooked in a pretty obvious spot. What’s ironic is that the brochure for the car show them measuring their stitches and how meticulous they were. I’m afraid to have them fix the paint because they could potentially make it worse. I’ll post some pics when I can.

Cadillac has been known for contaminants in their paint for several years now. They definitely have quality control issues with that department. Contamination issues cannot just be buffed out either. They usually lead to the breakdown of the paint and eventually rust.

·
2X 9 second club
11,148 Posts
I'll take a pic of it. They says it's acid etching in the clear coat.

I am going to take it somewhere else for repairs. I looked at some of the body work at the dealers body shop. No damn way those baboons are touching my car. I saw an suv with a 20" paint run in it, fenders with gap issues, poorly repaired wheels.

Acid etching is very possible. my V3 had several spots on it when I first bought it. these cars sit in lots after production, sit in lots waiting to go to dealers, and sit on dealers lots. so unless the dealer actually inspects every inch of the finish and takes care of any etching before delivery, its almost certain that every new car will have some water spot etching, or bird poop etching.

its not hard to fix, but I wouldn't let just anyone do it. if you need suggestions, I can find a professional paint correction shop for you.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had bird shit on the top of my Escalade that didn't see for a while and it left unwashable make and had pine tree sap that had paint f-ed up. They both buffed out with correction compound. Not sure if same situation as yours?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts