Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Do the ends of this brick need to be reinforced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
468 Posts
I haven't sold it yet!

Honestly I'm going to wait and see if the Kong Lid even shows up first.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
You changing will certainly give some solid info between the ZL1 and Kong. You have plenty of logs from spirited runs in Mexico and also just daily driving to provide the delta between them. You also have the IC pump and associated hardware that’s up to the task…

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
You changing will certainly give some solid info between the ZL1 and Kong. You have plenty of logs from spirited runs in Mexico and also just daily driving to provide the delta between them. You also have the IC pump and associated hardware that’s up to the task…

I think he should take it back to that dyno again so it can jump off and be off the road for a while again.

·
Premium Member
15,930 Posts
I think he should take it back to that dyno again so it can jump off and be off the road for a while again.

That was 1 year ago... yesterday. I still shudder at the thought!

·
Registered
305 Posts
I haven't sold it yet!

Honestly I'm going to wait and see if the Kong Lid even shows up first.

When it shows up I'm expecting lots of unbiased data. Halfway into 2021 and the arguments over this lid continue to rage on tardbook. I need to jump in on this ZL1 = gold trend. lol

·
Registered
305 Posts
I mean I have data on pretty much all the options and don't have a horse in the race.
I saw you mention in another thread that the IAT sensor location is no bueno. If that issue is addressed have you had experience with these lids actually delivering solid cooling over your basic bitch ZL1 lid owner? lol

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I mean I have data on pretty much all the options and don't have a horse in the race.
I don’t think I have seen that. What is your conclusion?

Does the Kong lid work?

Is grinding the ribs off the stock V lid really the best thing ever?

Are there really little green men at Area 51?

·
Vendor
13,167 Posts
I would say that none of the 3 have shown best results in my testing done with various customer supplied parts.

The C&R brick(s)does flow the best of any option I have seen on the market for LSA/9 applications. Some other options I have seen flow worse then a stock brick. I didn’t make a video or spreadsheet or anything because I have nothing to gain from the results either way. Just data I have collected over time with customers on the higher end of the hp range trying different things.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I would say that none of the 3 have shown best results in my testing done with various customer supplied parts.

The C&R brick(s)does flow the best of any option I have seen on the market for LSA/9 applications. Some other options I have seen flow worse then a stock brick. I didn’t make a video or spreadsheet or anything because I have nothing to gain from the results either way. Just data I have collected over time with customers on the higher end of the hp range trying different things.
So your experience is that the stock V lid with the C&R brick is the best all around?

·
Premium Member
13,236 Posts
Talk about ZL1 = gold..
Wow!!

And I was about to buy one right when GM raised the price....
just think they used to be like $200 or so
but those crazy eBay listings are placeholders, when one of their other listings sells or runs out they just lower the price

·
Premium Member
15,930 Posts

As subi asked - C&R is the best around?

After my recent experience with the ZL1 lid at 19psi, I'm less concerned with flow and more concerned with durability.

Have you found any negatives with the Kong lid?

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
As subi asked - C&R is the best around?

After my recent experience with the ZL1 lid at 19psi, I'm less concerned with flow and more concerned with durability.

Have you found any negatives with the Kong lid?

With this news, you could always sell the Kong lid and make some money because of the price increase lol.

And then just keep the ZL1 lid, scrap the stock brick and buy one of the C&R bricks!

Reactions: random84

·
Premium Member
15,930 Posts
Matt is notoriously cryptic in answering questions. :)

The Kong lid is EXPENSIVE. But, I sold the ZL1 lid for enough to where I am in it for around $1500.

That's not too far off the cost of a C&R brick, but with greater surface area. I'm not sure what kind of intercooler the Kong lid has.

·
Premium Member
4,686 Posts
Matt is notoriously cryptic in answering questions. :)

The Kong lid is EXPENSIVE. But, I sold the ZL1 lid for enough to where I am in it for around $1500.

That's not too far off the cost of a C&R brick, but with greater surface area. I'm not sure what kind of intercooler the Kong lid has.
Random wrote:
"I'm not sure what kind of intercooler the Kong lid has"
--------------------------------------------------------------
Jesse, some months back you stated that Kong did not want
to discuss flow numbers. As I recall you stated; all they wanted
to discuss was IAT's.

Maybe you should speak to them again and ask them what
are their average customer seeing, regarding IAT's. . . .

As you know; one can increase boost pressure, but if the
IAT's rise. . . Your 'Doomed'.

Maybe Kong is telling you what you want to know.

As increasing boost, while maintaining a lower IAT
will produce more fwHP, while also helping to reduce
self-detonation. . . .

-while there are other variables to quantify-
Generally speaking; if someone offered me an intercooler,
with double the surface area of the one I have now, and 'If'
the mass flow rate and temperature across that intercooler
remained the same, I would anticipate lower IAT's.

Increasing mass flow, mass flow rate is one thing.

But if one ends up with a cooler Mass Charge entering
the cylinder, one is going to be able to achieve more HP.
will / should relate to more fwHP.

Cheers

Reactions: subaru335i
21 - 40 of 50 Posts