Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience buying a used atvs or ctsv v academy track car. I found my perfect car at a cadillac dealership today and went to buy the car. When i got there they told me it was a track car they bought at auction from the v academy. With that GM voids the factory warranty for the powertrain, brakes, and suspension. Does anyone else find that odd. I guess my question is would you still feel comfortable buying that car. Or if you have bought a previous v track car.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
There are a number of people that have bought them on here. And it is normal for them to void the warranty for the cars used in the academy. I’m sure someone else with first hand experience will chime in shortly.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Those cars have been driven extremely hard. I’m sure that’s why the warranty is voided.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
It would have to be a killer deal that you plan on keeping for the long haul because I can't see that helping resale value if you care about that. There have been a few Ive seen on autotrader over the years, they are always priced the lowest and still sit for awhile. Try to negotiate a price you can't walk away from.

·
Super Moderator
16,529 Posts
The academy cars are beat hard, but appear to be well maintained despite that beating.

They don’t get street miles, they get race miles daily.

The warranty block is standard on track cars.

They can be a good deal if you are ok with the history, kinda like marrying a really hot chick that banged all your friends.

Joking aside, as long as you understand that the price reduction is also going to be there when you sell it someday, it’s worth considering.

The Gen2 academy cars were $15k-$20k discount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
The academy cars are beat hard, but appear to be well maintained despite that beating.

They don’t get street miles, they get race miles daily.

The warranty block is standard on track cars.

They can be a good deal if you are ok with the history, kinda like marrying a really hot chick that banged all your friends.

best line of the year. congrats.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Ive attended V Academy and V Lab and have personally driven those cars. I wouldn’t buy one knowing what they’ve been put through

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Typically fleet track cars, while used and abused, are maintained quite well. They have to be to keep customers on track when in use. The last thing they want is a X of the XX cars shitting the bed during a session.

If the price point make sense and you can live without the warranty coverage, sure why not.

Half the time these cars when on track are NOT driven hard. The customer *Thinks* they are driving hard but in reality they are not. The other half of the time, sure they are rode hard, but wtf that is what they are made for. (You should see how I drive my race cars, redline every shift, always in the power band, hard on the brakes) The biggest consumable for the academy cars are tires and brakes. If they are manuals then I would have a close look at the tranny as most people when new to the track fuck up the down shifts and over rev. That is the biggest killer of the drivetrain. The other issue would be the blower. Does anyone know if the stock ECU can spit out any tach data over a period of time ? That's what I would look into.

Happy hunting.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Ive attended V Academy and V Lab and have personally driven those cars. I wouldn’t buy one knowing what they’ve been put through
Same! Those cars got put the ringer!

·
Registered
765 Posts
I wouldn't have an issue buying one. Any kind of performance cars, there's a risk you're buying one that was owned by someone who beat the hell out of it and didn't make maintenance a priority. At least these are serviced regularly and monitored by the staff.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would love to call the v academy but i can't find a number. Id like to talk to some one and maybe give the vin of the car and see if they keep a record of what kind of abuse the car was subjected too. You guys definitely bring up good points on the resale. Definitely gotta work on the number. If they drop it i don't think i could walk away.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I'd much rather buy one used that was modded, abused, and then demodded prior to my purchase at no discount and which possibly has a voided warranty waiting in the wings

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Typically fleet track cars, while used and abused, are maintained quite well. They have to be to keep customers on track when in use. The last thing they want is a X of the XX cars shitting the bed during a session.

If the price point make sense and you can live without the warranty coverage, sure why not.

Half the time these cars when on track are NOT driven hard. The customer *Thinks* they are driving hard but in reality they are not. The other half of the time, sure they are rode hard, but wtf that is what they are made for. (You should see how I drive my race cars, redline every shift, always in the power band, hard on the brakes) The biggest consumable for the academy cars are tires and brakes. If they are manuals then I would have a close look at the tranny as most people when new to the track fuck up the down shifts and over rev. That is the biggest killer of the drivetrain. The other issue would be the blower. Does anyone know if the stock ECU can spit out any tach data over a period of time ? That's what I would look into.

Happy hunting.
If the car had only been on the “track” I might be ok getting one. A car that’s been autocrossed (which is part of both lab and academy) no freaking way. When I was at the lab a couple of years ago one guy in my group was so hard on the brakes making a u turn that the left front wheel folded and the car had to be towed off. Another couldn’t stay on the course and ran over a bunch of cones and somehow managed to bust a brake line and break off the abs sensor.

I find people tend to drive cars harder when they don’t have to pay for them. Another reason I’ve always been weary of buying old rental cars.

Same! Those cars got put the ringer!
Absolutely. I know I drove the hell out of the two V’s I got assigned to. I left there thinking no way I would drive my V like that lol!

·
Registered
912 Posts
I bought a former academy 2013 wagon in early 2014 . I paid 40k. I planned on keeping the car and modding it so the warranty issue was mute. I still have the wagon.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I remember seeing the 2012 CTS-V cars at the end of the V lab events. Getting new tires each day certainly shows the type of use these cars were seeing. BUT the techs were surprised at how few failures they were having. Might be worth the risk, especially since many report buying extended warranties from the dealers

·
Premium Member
14,373 Posts
With as much stuff as I've replaced - or will replace shortly - during the normal course of driving and modding over 70k miles....

Buying a used wagon and doing the same would have been tens of thousands of dollars cheaper. Seriously.

Heads, cam, lifters, blower, springs, bushings, clutch, etc... only difference is maybe interior wear and tear and arguably the transmission itself.

But there's a X factor for doing it on your own terms to YOUR car versus fixing someone else's abuse. I definitely got my money's worth either way. But if buying a V today when all of them are already used - and most already in need of maintenance anyway - I'd have no problem as long as there is a substantial cost savings over any other lower mile street-driven car of comparable options.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I remember seeing the 2012 CTS-V cars at the end of the V lab events. Getting new tires each day certainly shows the type of use these cars were seeing. BUT the techs were surprised at how few failures they were having. Might be worth the risk, especially since many report buying extended warranties from the dealers
This is my point. Replacing tires and brakes is not a biggie, and the car is sound with a price point that is good, go for it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I went to the one at Road Atlanta and I completely agree. These cars were driven hard. At the "pre-track" meeting, even the GM exec told us to "Drive it as hard as you want. You don't have to pay for the tires or gas."

1 - 20 of 23 Posts