Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last weekend I finally got the chance to make a pass with some decent tire (MT 305 ET Street Rs). I drove the car to the track (25 minute drive) and let it cool down for about 2hrs. Once I got the IATs down I aired down the MTs to 17lbs, rolled up to the water box, burned through three gears and powered out to the lights.

I staged at 1200-1300 and let it rip, it pulled hard in 1st, shifted into 2nd and then boom snapped the universal. I've read the threads talking about how spinning breaks the driveshaft/shafts, but this thing hooked. So it leads me to believe that the transmission slipped in 2nd and then slammed into gear breaking the shaft.

Has anyone else ever experienced this type of slippage, and is this from a potential low fluid level in the trans (starving the front pump) I data logged the hit, is there something to look for to prove this theory?

·
Premium Member
15,210 Posts
Details don't matter. You now can make a Tshirt that says "I'm so awesome, driveshafts wither and crumble in front of me."

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
786 Posts
So last weekend I finally got the chance to make a pass with some decent tire (MT 305 ET Street Rs). I drove the car to the track (25 minute drive) and let it cool down for about 2hrs. Once I got the IATs down I aired down the MTs to 17lbs, rolled up to the water box, burned through three gears and powered out to the lights.

I staged at 1200-1300 and let it rip, it pulled hard in 1st, shifted into 2nd and then boom snapped the universal. I've read the threads talking about how spinning breaks the driveshaft/shafts, but this thing hooked. So it leads me to believe that the transmission slipped in 2nd and then slammed into gear breaking the shaft.

Has anyone else ever experienced this type of slippage, and is this from a potential low fluid level in the trans (starving the front pump) I data logged the hit, is there something to look for to prove this theory?
Hooking breaks things, not spinning.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Actually, hooking can get you arrested, while spinning requires a lightweight willing partner.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Details don't matter. You now can make a Tshirt that says "I'm so awesome, driveshafts wither and crumble in front of me."

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Appreciate the optimism :p

Well I don't see a bunch of Vs breaking the stock 2 piece with 1.4-1.5 60'

Like most things with cars.....something good then something bad. But hey now you have a chance to upgrade
You are right

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
786 Posts
Not really sure where a Dodge comes into the discussion, nor do I care; however, the point I was trying to make was the car may have unloaded the drivetrain (from a trans slip) and then found solid engagement, jolting the driveshaft -much like a spinning tire finding instance traction. And as mentioned by Hartline (who 60' in the 1.2s) in this thread:

http://www.ctsvowners.com/forum/7-rear-end/33202-broke-my-drive-shaft-today-my-wagon-track.html
Not sure why it needs to be spelled out, but a Hellcat having traction with a DR/slick is why they're snapping shafts. No different than the 4th gen fbodies blowing 10 bolts when they hooked. Neither are a V though, so you don't care, nor the reason of why they break.

Hartline is 60'ing 1.2 which = traction not spinning.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not sure why it needs to be spelled out, but a Hellcat having traction with a DR/slick is why they're snapping shafts. No different than the 4th gen fbodies blowing 10 bolts when they hooked. Neither are a V though, so you don't care, nor the reason of why they break.

Hartline is 60'ing 1.2 which = traction not spinning.
Do you even bother to read anything?

·
Registered
786 Posts
I've read the threads talking about how spinning breaks the driveshaft/shafts, but this thing hooked. So it leads me to believe that the transmission slipped in 2nd and then slammed into gear breaking the shaft.
Kinetic vs static and I'll leave it at that.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kinetic vs static and I'll leave it at that.
You know that makes all the sense in the world, but rolling mass isn't static -the car broke in second!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts