Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 CTS V Coupe Auto Sunroof
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:cry:Ok guys, prepare yourself for this. I accidentally scratched the living shit out of Lucille(My V)!! I was working on putting a new bumper on my Dodge Ram after a little fender bender when I was taking the internal parts off of one bumper putting them on the other, knowing I had to be very careful. Well, my dumb ass let the bumper swing around(not realizing it) and hit the door of my V putting some serious deep scratches on the door. I literally stepped back and started crying like a baby. So so pissed off at myself for fucking up so bad!! Now what? I have these deep scratches on my door and there goes my original paint on my door! Although I have all the equipment to paint cars, I have very little experience on blending and painting if I decide to sand it then paint it.
This happened last week so I’m a little calmer now. This week I did sand it with 3000g then compound, then polish it. Looks a little better, but it’s still there! Any advice on what to do next? This is the best picture I could get. Trust me when I say it doesn’t do much justice on the severity of the scratches and depth of them.
D3F6DDE2-AF06-41ED-8AAC-A08BA851217E.jpeg

Sad in Texas,
Kenny

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
First what color is your car, that has it looking like a mirror?
I once put a metal frame against the wall than a heavy wind blew it on the side of the car. It was dug it deep and dented. I looked a it, closed all the garage doors, turned off the light and went in the house pouting like a kid. Each time I walked back in the garage it was still there.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First what color is your car, that has it looking like a mirror?
I once put a metal frame against the wall than a heavy wind blew it on the side of the car. It was dug it deep and dented. I looked a it, closed all the garage doors, turned off the light and went in the house pouting like a kid. Each time I walked back in the garage it was still there.
Black Raven. It was definitely hard to get a good picture of the scratches. Tried every angle but thats the best I could do. Took me over a week to calm down and come here to vent a little about my screw up. So I can damn sure empathize with ya man. It sucks!

·
Registered
858 Posts
Of you're good at painting, you're in luck. Blending black with no flake is about the easiest color. Pull the door, back tape the jambs, fix scratches, black sealer, blend base, clear door, done. Black doesn't usually require adjacent panel blend.

·
Premium Member
13,316 Posts
I feel bad for you but I don’t know why you even tried sanding and polishing that , that’s bad

·
Registered
431 Posts
Depending on location it is possible to fill in scratches little by little with touch up paint like dr color chip and wet sand back to flat then buff, it won’t be perfect but only alternative is a repaint

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I feel bad for you but I don’t know why you even tried sanding and polishing that , that’s bad
I watched a video on YouTube by a pro detailer (Apex Detail) with a very similar issue Rob. He did a step by step video on how to at least improve the scratch. The video explains that your not going to totally get rid of the scratches, but by sanding and polishing you’re going to knock off the appearance of it from light at every angle. It was pretty impressive actually. I also believe it did a pretty good job. However, if you get down and look close, it’s obviously still visible. The God damn thing just pisses me off knowing not only did I fuck it up, but that my mint car will now be flawed, even if it’s repainted, and not having the “original” paint on it. Ugh

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Of you're good at painting, you're in luck. Blending black with no flake is about the easiest color. Pull the door, back tape the jambs, fix scratches, black sealer, blend base, clear door, done. Black doesn't usually require adjacent panel blend.
Rookie painter for sure. Not likely to try it on my V. I did wanna ask tho, and bc I am a rookie painter, seems like I’ve seen someone before where they would sand the scratches and the immediate area, paint it, then clear it. Not having to do the whole door. I’m guessing I’m wrong since you didn’t suggest that?

Depending on location it is possible to fill in scratches little by little with touch up paint like dr color chip and wet sand back to flat then buff, it won’t be perfect but only alternative is a repaint
I actually have some Dr Color Chipand did try that first. I wasn’t pleased with the results tho. Anything less than perfect probably won’t be good enough for me tho. Me and my OCD 🤷🏼‍♂️

Reactions: loweredd

·
Premium Member
13,316 Posts
Wait is it just the side to side scratch or that deep up and down?

·
Registered
431 Posts
You’ll have to do sealer around what body work you do, blend the base and re clear the entire panel. You could probably get away with not pulling the trim on the top but if it were me I would to do the job correctly. Being it’s just black I doubt it would be that expensive to have a shop do it. Or do the prep and body work if you feel comfortable and let them shoot it

·
Registered
858 Posts
Yeah sand out scratches, spot prime, block primer, black sealer, blend base, clear door. I'd pull top molding and handle for sure. Back tape jamb edges, they also make round foam for jamb edges if you're not comfortable back taping.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Anything that catches your finger nail is a re-spray job.

With that said, I remember this video
from a while back that might be worth a try? The short of the long, is the paint issue is still there. For a non-car person maybe, but not for us car cunts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
858 Posts
That's guy is a fucking boss at scratch repairs, saw him quite a while ago. Def won't be perfect tho, especially to someone who paints at all.

That said I may feel better with touchup rather than paintwork... That might just be me though.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wait is it just the side to side scratch or that deep up and down?
The deep deep one is up and down and the not so deep scratches are side to side Rob

You’ll have to do sealer around what body work you do, blend the base and re clear the entire panel. You could probably get away with not pulling the trim on the top but if it were me I would to do the job correctly. Being it’s just black I doubt it would be that expensive to have a shop do it. Or do the prep and body work if you feel comfortable and let them shoot it
Great advice. I most likely will search for a good shop. As much as I’d like to, and I really enjoy learning and painting, I just don’t feel confident enough to start the project that’s so important to me.

Anything that catches your finger nail is a re-spray job.

With that said, I remember this video
from a while back that might be worth a try? The short of the long, is the paint issue is still there. For a non-car person maybe, but not for us car cunts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ll definitely check this guy out! Ought to interestin!

Reactions: Ctarb1

·
Registered
212 Posts
Where are you in TX? up here in DFW the Cadillac Sewell dealers do a great job have 3 friends get repaint & blends and comes out looking almost OEM, except the factory orange peel.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Where are you in TX? up here in DFW the Cadillac Sewell dealers do a great job have 3 friends get repaint & blends and comes out looking almost OEM, except the factory orange peel.
I’m south of Ft Worth, but I do know of Sewell Cadillac. They certainly have a great reputation here in DFW as far as “THE” Cadillac dealer. Frank Kent is closer to me, but correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought dealerships contracted their auto body repairs? My guess is, as high class as Sewell is, even if they contract out, they have a damn good painter! Something to consider for sure

·
Registered
212 Posts
I’m south of Ft Worth, but I do know of Sewell Cadillac. They certainly have a great reputation here in DFW as far as “THE” Cadillac dealer. Frank Kent is closer to me, but correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought dealerships contracted their auto body repairs? My guess is, as high class as Sewell is, even if they contract out, they have a damn good painter! Something to consider for sure
no to frank kent….. nooooooo sir.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thats all you had to say! Copy copy

·
Premium Member
13,316 Posts
You should be center enough on the door to be able to limit respray to just the door without blending the adjoining panel

but the trick is not the color. It’s the texture/orange peel

1 - 20 of 27 Posts