Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2013 v2. The car had 3 pistons fail. I brought it to a shop and they said the block was also toast. The shop is telling me to go with an ls3 block instead of the lsa block (for price and to do away with the oil squirters) I'm planning on putting forged pistons and rods, as well as a cam. My question is the Ls3 block a good switch, or should I save and go back with the lsa block? For the block, pistons, and machine/shop work I'm looking at $8,700.

·
Premium Member
2014 CTS-V Sedan A6
1,173 Posts
Negative.
For way less than that you could have a Dart LSNext block and forged rotating assembly from Thompson Motorsports.

also, if it’s not cracked you can have the LSA block sleeved.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn. So I guess I need to go pick the car up then. I just don't have a garage to do the work :/

·
Premium Member
2014 CTS-V Sedan A6
1,173 Posts
Damn. So I guess I need to go pick the car up then. I just don't have a garage to do the work :/
You can do the work. It’s not that hard.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No lol I mean I live in an apartment. No garage. What should be a fair price for this work?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I'm not weighing in on any option. However, don't forget to compare total prices across the various options. Does the machine shop price include just the short block or removing the top end from your engine and installing on new block? Did they diagnose the cause of the failure? You might need a new oil pump or other parts. I would probably install a new oil pump, timing chain and plugs at a minimum. How are the injectors? Are they just replacing the three bad pistons? I would upgrade to a better set. You have a lot of questions to ask before making a decision.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not weighing in on any option. However, don't forget to compare total prices across the various options. Does the machine shop price include just the short block or removing the top end from your engine and installing on new block? Did they diagnose the cause of the failure? You might need a new oil pump or other parts. I would probably install a new oil pump, timing chain and plugs at a minimum. How are the injectors? Are they just replacing the three bad pistons? I would upgrade to a better set. You have a lot of questions to ask before making a decision.
I agree. I'm not getting alot of info from the shop. I'm going Monday to talk to them again. I'm thinking the block should be able to be sleeved. Then I can replace the 3 pistons and re assemble the motor. Just wasn't sure if the ls3 block was worth doing. Everything would be bought brand new. If I have to I'll just get the car and let it sir for awhile 😢

·
Premium Member
2014 CTS-V Sedan A6
1,173 Posts
No lol I mean I live in an apartment. No garage. What should be a fair price for this work?
put the engine in your trunk tow it to my house. We will knock it out. Lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ahahahhaa I would if you were in the Tampa area for sure. I'm from Louisiana, all my contacts are there. I don't have any help here.

Any suggestions on an engine builder out there that would do this less than the 9+k I'll pay this guy?

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,100 Posts
>> Then I can replace the 3 pistons and re assemble the motor. <<
There are a lot of approaches, but this thought needs to be scrapped. The stock pistons are cast. Forged pistons are stronger and should be replaced as a set anyways.
Likely no cost savings with cast, anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jcs003

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Of course. I was just referring to putting the cast back in it for now, until I have enough to do a proper build. 8700 to start this out is more than I wanted to spend. That's not even complete.

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,100 Posts
Believe me I know! I’m staring down the very same barrel right now (my V is not actually broken, tho).

I’m about to start mods and that’s rapidly morphing into “might-as-well Hell”.
Now I’m looking at forgings and short blocks, etc.

Reactions: loweredd

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Ahahahhaa I would if you were in the Tampa area for sure. I'm from Louisiana, all my contacts are there. I don't have any help here.
Who are you talking to in Tampa Bay?

I have the local Tampa hook up.

·
Premium Member
2009 Sedan
452 Posts
Believe me I know! I’m staring down the very same barrel right now (my V is not actually broken, tho).

Mine WAS broken, and I'm DEEP, DEEP down that rabbit hole right now. 😄😄 I should make it out, only by continuing to dig down and out. 😂👍

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Well today I pulled the trigger on forged internals and an ls3 block. Just to get the build to progress. This time next year I should be able to get a built block from Thompson motor sports. 😤 the car is my daily, so roughly 700hp is plenty for now :/

Who are you talking to in Tampa Bay?

I have the local Tampa hook up.
I'm using a shop out of brandon. They have alot of bad ass cars there. Definitely know what their doing for sure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts