Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time flushing the radiator cooling system. I've read you just fill the overfill tank with a funnel and let the system burp. Is there a valve or something on the block to help bleed those areas as well? or will the overfill tank method suffice in bleeding the whole system?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Yes, you can just fill the overflow bottle and let it run with the cap off until the thermostat opens and all the air will purge out. Check it after the first drive to be sure it didn't burp more out.

It's actually a pretty easy car to fill. But if you want the sure fire way to fill it with no air bubbles trapped anywhere, vacuum fill the system. I bought one of the airlift vacuum systems and I'll never go back to burping a cooling system. I almost wish I had a reason to open up my intercooler loop on the V to try it there. LINK => https://www.amazon.com/550500-AirLift-Economy-Cooling-Refiller/dp/B000IHK1VI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1524772057&sr=8-2&keywords=airlift+coolant+refill+tool

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool thanks for the advice. I'll have to order one and give that thing a try!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Another option would be a coolant fill funnel.
I have used these for years, literally on hundreds mabey thousands of cars.

They come with a bunch of adapters.
I install it in the top of the radiator with the proper adapters and fill the coolant. Then I start the car and turn the heat on full blast. I let the car run until the thermostat opens and the heat is blowing hot. Make sure you somewhat monitor the level in the fill funnel during the operation, I like it to always be about half full.
When the system is fully hot and there is no more air bubbles coming out I use the included plug to remove the funnel and then top off the overflow/expansion tank with the remains.
There are cars that have cooling system designs that promote trapped air. Those systems you can message the top radiator hose to help manipulate the air out and on the worst cases I lift the front end of the car to help the air find its way out.
These can be found locally for around $30
They last a long time as long as you don't lose the adapters, the one pictured I've had over ten years.
These are what was used in dealer shops when I was a technician but that was a long time ago so I don't know what the kids are using these days.
https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-24680-Spill-Free-Funnel/dp/B00A6AS6LY

OP, I see you are in the Twin Cities. I'm local if you want to use mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
just refilled my system and once the thermostat opened is burped the air out and looks like it caught it all.

Reactions: MYV

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes, you can just fill the overflow bottle and let it run with the cap off until the thermostat opens and all the air will purge out. Check it after the first drive to be sure it didn't burp more out.

It's actually a pretty easy car to fill. But if you want the sure fire way to fill it with no air bubbles trapped anywhere, vacuum fill the system. I bought one of the airlift vacuum systems and I'll never go back to burping a cooling system. I almost wish I had a reason to open up my intercooler loop on the V to try it there. LINK => https://www.amazon.com/550500-AirLift-Economy-Cooling-Refiller/dp/B000IHK1VI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1524772057&sr=8-2&keywords=airlift+coolant+refill+tool
I love using the airlift vacuum kit at work but i would not try it on the heat echanger/intercoller lines. when you do it on a normal 1-1/2" radiator coolant lines it collapses the lines to get the vacuum . Id say with 3/4" lines might put to much vacuum on the brick idk.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Another option would be a coolant fill funnel.
I have used these for years, literally on hundreds mabey thousands of cars.

They come with a bunch of adapters.
I install it in the top of the radiator with the proper adapters and fill the coolant. Then I start the car and turn the heat on full blast. I let the car run until the thermostat opens and the heat is blowing hot. Make sure you somewhat monitor the level in the fill funnel during the operation, I like it to always be about half full.
When the system is fully hot and there is no more air bubbles coming out I use the included plug to remove the funnel and then top off the overflow/expansion tank with the remains.
There are cars that have cooling system designs that promote trapped air. Those systems you can message the top radiator hose to help manipulate the air out and on the worst cases I lift the front end of the car to help the air find its way out.
These can be found locally for around $30
They last a long time as long as you don't lose the adapters, the one pictured I've had over ten years.
These are what was used in dealer shops when I was a technician but that was a long time ago so I don't know what the kids are using these days.
https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-24680-Spill-Free-Funnel/dp/B00A6AS6LY

OP, I see you are in the Twin Cities. I'm local if you want to use mine.
Can you use this funnel on the intercooler/HX loop?

Sent from a misfiring cylinder

·
Registered
171 Posts
I just tried using the funnel on my intercooler/HX the other day. It seems to work very well getting air out of the loop.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I just tried using the funnel on my intercooler/HX the other day. It seems to work very well getting air out of the loop.
You put it on the HX or on the T?

Sent from a misfiring cylinder

1 - 11 of 11 Posts