Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

141 - 160 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
I don't understand why use plastidip unless you seriously plan on take it all apart again to peel it off... if you want a nice smooth satin paint color use bumper trim paint. It's durable and has a nice satin. Sprays on very smooth and thin not like plastidip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Didn't want to commit to matte/satin finish. Will be redoing it in a gloss finish

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
182 Posts

I did it!!!!

1) the instructions in this post are spot on, I will add some things though

2) this is totally do-able

Additions: buy two cans of paint, one can primer. 215 degrees is good, didn't need the card board, start prying with a dog bone on the uppermost/outermost corner of each light (it's the pointiest corner). you must attack this when it comes out of the oven, don't be afraid to put it back in for 5 min and then re-engage. Also, make sure you clean the inside of your lenses before re-assembly. I didn't and there are some dust particles. Hardly noticeable but I have OCD. Make sure you have one tube of silicon per head light. I really like the bumper paint, it's mildly textured which makes it look oem.

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
I want to do this so bad! Thanks for taking the time to do such a great write-up!
I am sorta local to you and I have done a few sets. If you want some help and want to make a trip up to Seattle, We can do it in a few hours.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I did it!!!!

1) the instructions in this post are spot on, I will add some things though

2) this is totally do-able

Additions: buy two cans of paint, one can primer. 215 degrees is good, didn't need the card board, start prying with a dog bone on the uppermost/outermost corner of each light (it's the pointiest corner). you must attack this when it comes out of the oven, don't be afraid to put it back in for 5 min and then re-engage. Also, make sure you clean the inside of your lenses before re-assembly. I didn't and there are some dust particles. Hardly noticeable but I have OCD. Make sure you have one tube of silicon per head light. I really like the bumper paint, it's mildly textured which makes it look oem.

Doc,

Did you paint the inner chrome projector bezel as well? What paint did you use?

Thanks
A

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Doc,

Did you paint the inner chrome projector bezel as well? What paint did you use?

Thanks
A
I did, I primer coated everything and then painted with bumper paint. I really like the look of it, it's mildly textured which has an oem look to it.

Once the light is apart you can separate the bezel, it's only three T15 screws per side.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Great DIY! Just got my V, and there is condensation. Already ordered the seal I will be using, but since I'm there, I want to do some Halos as well. Anyone have a DIY for the halos? Thanks in advance.

Link to the seal I will be using. Awesome reviews. Figured I would add to the thread. (couldn't add the link, but it is the Morimoto Retrorubber butyl glue. Found it on amazon, but originally was on the retrofit source, but shipping was too high.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Went to start this project, since my headlights are very easily fogging up with condensation. Figured I may as well do this mod and fix the headlights in one shot.

I then found some cracks in the headlights, I think they are all the way through too. Anyone else have this issue? Should I just go with new lenses?

I also don’t think anyone has been able to source lenses on their own right? So I’ll have to buy a whole light and swap lenses? Where’s the best place to buy?

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
That stinks! Those are pretty big cracks and will likely get worse, or a piece fall off, when opening them.
No lenses available by themselves. From reading through the thread others are buying normal aftermarket CTS lights for cheap and using those lenses. They fit and very similar.
I'm doing mine soon, but have the spider cracks on the front lens itself. Mainly on one side. Buying the CTS lights and replacing.

·
Registered
102 Posts
That stinks! Those are pretty big cracks and will likely get worse, or a piece fall off, when opening them.
No lenses available by themselves. From reading through the thread others are buying normal aftermarket CTS lights for cheap and using those lenses. They fit and very similar.
I'm doing mine soon, but have the spider cracks on the front lens itself. Mainly on one side. Buying the CTS lights and replacing.
You buying new or used?

141 - 160 of 174 Posts