Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if already posted...long time lurker.

I have a '09 CTS-V sedan, bone stock daily driver, 145k on it. SC warranteed in 2017, other than that it has never had any repairs; still has original spark plugs. This is by far the best car I have ever owned. I grew up as a mechanic in the 80s/90s but my knowledge of computer controlled cars is limited as my career went in another direction after college although I still do all the repairs on my first car which I have kept. V runs fine, but I have noticed recently when I open it all the way and it boosts it initially spews out a tremendous amount of black smoke from the exhaust...like, a lot. Only does it the first time as if it's blowing the soot out of the pipes/chambers. Back in the day we would say it needs throttle body cleaned out, rings are shot, etc...

What say you?

·
Registered
3,238 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's crossed my mind. Thing runs like a top though...just smokes like hell upon the first time it drops 2 gears.

·
Super Moderator
21,711 Posts
Dropping two gears can break the trans, but perhaps not as likely at stock power levels.

Smoke is probably overly rich on the fuel, I wouldn’t be concerned. Worse case, check your oil consumption.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fair enough. It's a 6A so when I say drop 2 I mean @ HWY speed flooring it drops from 6 to 4th. Looks like a James Bond smoke screen.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Yeah, that’s what Karch is referring to. It’s less likely on a bone stock car but even guys with basic bolt ones have broke the auto trans hammering it and letting it drop two gears on its own.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've considered knocking out those plugs myself but after reading some of the stories on here I'm a bit gun-shy.

·
Premium Member
3,924 Posts
I've considered knocking out those plugs myself but after reading some of the stories on here I'm a bit gun-shy.
Your skin will grow back and you can bump up your blood supply with a good meal.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Just pull the coil packs and wires first, then set out a few different extensions, swivels, etc. it can be done without busted knuckles, you just have to mess around with finding the right combo to reach.

·
Premium Member
3,924 Posts
Just pull the coil packs and wires first, then set out a few different extensions, swivels, etc. it can be done without busted knuckles, you just have to mess around with finding the right combo to reach.

This is true for average hands. GF's of the past had always commented on how "full" my digits made them feel. :whistle:

Reactions: RedTXV

·
Registered
805 Posts
This is true for average hands. GF's of the past had always commented on how "full" my digits made them feel. :whistle:
Hahaha, that’s fair. My wife says mine are fine. I tell her I’m only 5’7 so they look big on me.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
You've got a bad seal somewhere. Under vacuum, oil is getting sucked past the seal and in to the manifold. When you stomp on it and it goes to boost and the suction force goes way up, that pooled oil gets picked up and blown through the engine to come out the exhaust as black smoke. If the motor's going rich, the smoke should be more greyish than black I think. Black smoke on a rich engine is only for Diesels.

Way I always played it, dark smoke = oil, lighter colored smoke = rich, white smoke = water leak or a new Pope.

·
Super Moderator
21,711 Posts
Copy that. Maybe I should stop doing that
Umm, yes. I don’t you need to accelerate that hard, but I get it, it’s fun.

Personally, I manually downshift when I want to go from anything higher than 3rd and floor it, but I’m also pushing a lot more power.

I just don’t want your trans to break unnecessarily.

At bone stock power levels and no drag radials, you ‘should’ be ok, but consider your miles and it still is over 450-ish rwhp, and 4500# or so, better safe than sorry.

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,217 Posts
You should run the codes, see if anything is stored. It seems unlikely that any extreme over-rich condition would NOT be flagged by the system although it may not pop a CEL.
I’m wondering if there could be a fuel reg issue, slamming the pressure on sudden WOT command.
Also unburned fuel is a key symptom related to poor ignition performance.
Old plugs and wires have have a unique failure mode capability wherein they fail so gradually (increasing internal resistance) that you never realize how much the power has dropped. There’s no miss so it runs smoothly and makes you think all is well. Then you finally freshen up those pieces and WOW(!) you are suddenly reminded what was missing.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I'd run a good injector cleaner for a few tanks, bad spray pattern can cause black smoke since the fuel isn't well atomized and harder to burn, that combined with 10 year old plugs with that many miles on them. Smoke will also likely plug your cats if not addressed in a timely manner.

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,217 Posts
stock plugs? dont expect the wires to come out in one piece
Pretty sure he plans to reuse them.

Reactions: Blades1_99
1 - 20 of 76 Posts