Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a binding noise from the front suspension when the car changes direction forward/reverse. It happens only just for the first 10-20 feet of driving in either direction and then stops. Also it predominantly comes from the driver's side (though I think I've heard it once or twice from the passenger). The dealer has replaced both upper control arms and the sway bar bushings to get rid of the common cold weather squeak.

I've had friends stand outside and listen but the noise can't be pin-pointed this way. Before I take it back to the dealer has anyone had a similar issue and found a fix?

Thank you.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Have you checked to see if your LCA bolts are moving? Pretty common for those the be loose/not torqued correctly, which allows them to slide around. Should be able to see slide marks where the bolts are.

Search Nordlock washers, should be a good thread or two describing this better.

Reactions: TBSS&CTSV

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you checked to see if your LCA bolts are moving? Pretty common for those the be loose/not torqued correctly, which allows them to slide around. Should be able to see slide marks where the bolts are.

Search Nordlock washers, should be a good thread or two describing this better.
I'll check this out when I get home. If I had a loose control arm, wouldn't it make noise all the time and throw off my alignment? Car drives tight and doesn't pull to either side at all.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yes if it’s loose enough it’ll certainly do all that.
Typically it’s not loose enough to be flopping around like a whale nipple. Instead just loose enough to shift when under side load while turning hard.

·
Super Moderator
16,998 Posts
Stock on cold tires the V2’s experience “crabbing” in reverse due to summer tires and aggressive camber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stock on cold tires the V2’s experience “crabbing” in reverse due to summer tires and aggressive camber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Larry.

I think I know the crabbing feel, like the tire slips every few rotations and the whole front end shifts. I've felt this in reverse in my V2, and also with extremely wide front tires (315 or 335) on my 4th gen Camaro.

I get the noise moving forward as well, but only for the first 10-20 seconds of driving like the binding is "working itself out." I can drive for hours after that and hear nothing until I reverse again. Also it will make the noise, going forward or reverse, regardless of temperature.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
From the driver's seat you can't be really sure of where any sound is coming from. That no one can isolate it from outside the car suggests you're thinking it's the front suspension may be wrong. If it was that, it should be easy for the external observer to hear.

This is an Automatic or a Manual? The transmission and rear end is where you should be looking, IMO. They're the things that are most-directly affected by changing gears. The front suspension doesn't have anything that'd take 10-20 seconds to move from binding to not, and it would most likely exhibit some periodicity associated with wheel rotation as it moved. But an automatic transmission has all sorts of shit that moves around when you change gears. Something gets gummed up and starts to move slow and viola, you've got a valve that's open when it shouldn't be for the gear that's selected, fluid flows where it's not supposed to, and actuator is pushing on something it's not supposed to, that makes the noise you hear...

·
Registered
68 Posts
My 2013 V is doing it again. The front bushing in the lower control arm is broken and now it allows movement where the rear control arm bushing makes metal to metal contact. I could post you a video. Had to order new control arms after only 14 months. I have also ordered the creative steel urethane bushing kit. There is no way to augment the factory style bushing. I did the Nord Lock washers to keep the bolts from moving. Now, it is the rubber in the front mount blown again... creative steel should solve the problem.

·
Registered
36 Posts
A set of chassis ears is a great investment in solving noise issues. They have both wired and wireless versions and have helped me save a lot of time in diagnosing squeaks and rattles.

Another option is to mount a gopro near the source of the noise and see if you can hear/see the issue while replicating the movement.

·
Registered
68 Posts
if I could post the video I took at the alignment shop, on the lift, you could see how the front bushing is moving. hit the brakes and it moves like crazy...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts