1,385 Posts
Damn fine work there sir!

·
Registered
3,276 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
This is interesting. Pat g just tuned a camaro with an experimental intercooler. Thing is huge.

·
Super Moderator
21,728 Posts
How is the pressure drop across the cooler in comparison to the stock one with everything else staying the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What great 1st post.

You decreased the size of the tanks?
End tanks are actually much larger than the stock core also the way designed it to flow puts all the coldest water over the intake charge and outer rows outside the airport return the hot water back. Capacity size is about 3 times the factory brick. Factory brick holds about 12 Oz. Of fluid my brick holds about 33oz of fluid. Also inlet outlet on the brick are slightly larger than -12an ID.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How is the pressure drop across the cooler in comparison to the stock one with everything else staying the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn't check pressure before and after I upgraded the stock pump to a zz performance upgrade but currently I'm about 2.5-3 psi coming out of the intercooler. My entire hx system is stock including lines.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
End tanks are actually much larger than the stock core also the way designed it to flow puts all the coldest water over the intake charge and outer rows outside the airport return the hot water back. Capacity size is about 3 times the factory brick. Factory brick holds about 12 Oz. Of fluid my brick holds about 33oz of fluid. Also inlet outlet on the brick are slightly larger than -12an ID.
This is for LSA lid?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is for LSA lid?
Yes for ctsv lid. I'm working on a kit for zl1 lids. I know clearance is an issue with the zl1 lid in ctsv so it's been challenging to get a larger brick to fit. If only gm would have given us little more room.

It's gotta be. ZL1 won't fit with that spacer he has there.
Yes it's ctsv lid I'm working a zl1 lid version. It's just tight everywhere 😒

What are IAT2 temps between yours and stock? If greatly improved, any timing advancements?
Well the testing I did when I logged all my runs I was getting between 135-140 degrees iats at the end of a run. This was when it was cooler out in the morning time. Later in the afternoon ambient was about 10-15 degrees hotter and after just swapping the intercooler I would get about 120-126 at the end of the same run. This was all on the same road making multiple passes and trying to start out at the same base iat level around 100 degrees before a run. Few months later I went over to the track. Weather was a bit warmer and my iats were close to the same as they were when I made my street test pulls I'd have iats about 100-110after my burnout and about 126 at the end of a run. By the time I get my time slip iats dropped to 100 degrees pretty consistently through the day. I can say cruising around I'm usually 10 above ambient Temps. Forgot to mention on the pulls when had the stock brick I was seeing 1.5 -2 degrees of timing being pulled during a run and with the upgrade brick I wasn't pulling timing at all.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Can you expand on this statement?

“also the way designed it to flow puts all the coldest water over the intake charge and outer rows outside the airport return the hot water back.”

I like the idea, but how did you baffle the tank for it to work.

It also looks like you have cooling fins in the water flow as shown in picture 3, this should help with heat transfer. I guess the downside is it makes the water runners thicker does this affect the DP of the intake air?

Are you going to produce for sale? Cost?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can you expand on this statement?

“also the way designed it to flow puts all the coldest water over the intake charge and outer rows outside the airport return the hot water back.”

I like the idea, but how did you baffle the tank for it to work.

It also looks like you have cooling fins in the water flow as shown in picture 3, this should help with heat transfer. I guess the downside is it makes the water runners thicker does this affect the DP of the intake air?

Are you going to produce for sale? Cost?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'll try to explain best I can. So the factory runs in what I call a water flow effect. Water runs in through the bottom and out the top of the brick. My idea behind this was being the majority of the fins are over the hotest part of the intake charge you basically heat the water up twice as it comes around.
So with my design we in a way split the endtank in the full center section cold water flows in down the center. This is where the heat exchange takes place since it's in the air path of the blower rotors. Then it turns comes down the other two rows on either side outside the air path taking the water back out the front.

So I use bar and plate cores and cores are designed with a staggered fin design to help dissipate heat.

Currently have made about a dozen kits that guys are running there results have pretty similar.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
@random84 Here is another brick solution to buy!

Gotta catch em all!

Reactions: Karch
1 - 17 of 17 Posts