Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Add 1/2 quart more when using the longer filter. Much easier to remove from the car also

The relief valve settings are different.
PH63: 9-15 psi
PF48: 9-12 psi

The only other difference is the height.
PF63: 4.06 inches
PF48: 3.33 inches

PF63
Product Type Full-Flow Lube Spin-on
Anti-Drain Valve YES
Gasket I.D. 2.45"
Gasket O.D. 2.76"
Gasket Usage Base
Product Height 4.06"
Product I.D. 22mmx1.5mm Th'd
Product O.D. 2.98"
Relief Valve Setting PSI 9-15

PF48
Product Type Full-Flow Lube Spin-on
Anti-Drain Valve YES
Gasket I.D. 2.45"
Gasket O.D. 2.76"
Gasket Thickness .19"
Gasket Usage Base
Product Height 3.33"
Product I.D. 22mmx1.5mm Th'd
Product O.D. 3"
Relief Valve Setting PSI 9-12

If you use use a mobil 1 filter Part number will be M1-212

Reactions: morrisme

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
Nice, when I ever do an oil change ill get it, Most of the time I take it to GForce to get an oil change, they do a full service, Even wash it if I need it.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Good info. Is the delco a good filter( I assume it is). I remember a few years ago on the buick forums there were apparently some cheap fakes(why fake a declo, I dont know). I would love an alternative over the $20+ mobil or k&n. edit, re read post. If G force uses it, enough reason for me.

·
Registered
159 Posts
This is a old school trick. Nice catch. AC delco parts are excellent . Wix is also a very good filter. Fram is a bad filter but highly used.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Good info. Is the delco a good filter( I assume it is). I remember a few years ago on the buick forums there were apparently some cheap fakes(why fake a declo, I dont know). I would love an alternative over the $20+ mobil or k&n. edit, re read post. If G force uses it, enough reason for me.
Yes, Delco is actually a very good filter. As previously stated, Fram is garbage, along with Bosch, STP, etc. IMHO. I always try to stick to Delco, Purolator, or Mobil 1. I do have a lot of concrete evidence to support my preferences, but it's too much to post here.

Reactions: MYV

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ditto on Delcos are good filters. I know I don't own a CTS-V yet. On my supercharged GTO, it gets raced and DD with no problems.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I now have reservations about AC Delco filters. They are no longer made by AC Delco - they are made by Champion Labs (CL). And some of them have the CL ecore design, which has had problems with blowouts in the past. Look for an 'E' at the end of the part number, which denotes ecore design, and avoid. You can also look into the large center hole of the filter. If you see a nylon cage with large rectangular openings, that's an ecore. If you see an inner metal can with small round holes, that's a good conventional filter.

·
I'm Your Pusher
11,320 Posts
I use the extended life AMSOIL filter. Any feed back?

·
Registered
954 Posts
I now have reservations about AC Delco filters. They are no longer made by AC Delco - they are made by Champion Labs (CL). And some of them have the CL ecore design, which has had problems with blowouts in the past. Look for an 'E' at the end of the part number, which denotes ecore design, and avoid. You can also look into the large center hole of the filter. If you see a nylon cage with large rectangular openings, that's an ecore. If you see an inner metal can with small round holes, that's a good conventional filter.
PF 48 filters are not yet Ecore designs.

Besides this, I'm unsure I would call the Delco brand a 'good' filter.

They're OK, possible low-middle range filters. Their filtration capacity is mediocre, and their metal casings are rather thin. The old Delco Ultra filters were good, they had donaldson media, silicone by pass valves and thicker casings.

There are still PF48 ultra filters the ZR1's use (they have stronger casings and silicone bypass valves) but they're expensive, and while the filter media was clearly different, without delta ratios, it could absolutely be the exact same filter made by a different manufacturer (it is made by a different manufacturer actually)

I've used RP, napa Platinum filters in the past, but not of this larger size, Thanks for the post!

Here's my PF48 and UPF48 comparison btw.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...owflat&Main=177226&Number=2651865#Post2651865

·
Registered
954 Posts
For a good price on WIX filters, go here:

http://www.autopartstomorrow.com/queries?landed=true&number=57045&commit=Search+Now

A bought six filters for my V (p/n 57045, same as Delco PF63) a couple months ago when they were $3.89 each. Now they're $4.32 - still a good price.
I also bought six filters for my truck, which put the total order over $50, which kicked in free shipping.
WIX are good/ comparable to Napa Gold's. IE good filter.

That said, autozone/pepboys/advanced auto and other retailers almost always have some kind of 5 quart synthetic+ a M1/Bosch/RP oil filter deal.

That's what I typically go for these days. If those are not available, I fall back on Napa Platinum. Basically the cheapest Donadlson media filter in town. I hate ordering filters online. I played that game with the S4.

·
FKA Silverstreaker
539 Posts
where is the relief valve and how hard is it to alter the setting? if I ask my stealership to use this larger filter, will they know to adjust the relief valve?

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Relief valve is built into the filter, not something that gets altered to my knowledge. It's the bypass, cold oil will be allowed to effectively go around the filter media until pressure differential is under specified amount.

·
Registered
871 Posts
What's wrong with the Bosch filter's? I just installed one of those expensive ones on my car?

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I managed to run out of filters (I normally order online) and need an oil change. The only one I could find here was a FRAM but can't bring myself to it. There's a couple of AC Delcos but not the 48 as recommended. I'm gonna check if they have the 63.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts