Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a preferred manufacturer/supplier of TPMS?

New wheels are about done and figured I'd get new sensors for them, or am I better off just letting the tire shop sell 2 to me?

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Don't know if there's a preferred supplier/manufacturer but you might contact Jon at bestwheeldeals as he sells them. I'm getting new wheels soon as well and will go with black stem sensors since my new wheels will be black with a tinted face.

The sensors are 315mhz and I would assume that your tire shop could supply them as well but you may pay more for them. Other option is to reuse your existing sensors.

Which wheels did you go with? I went with a set of VS-02's from Jon with 19x11.5 rears.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't know if there's a preferred supplier/manufacturer but you might contact Jon at bestwheeldeals as he sells them. I'm getting new wheels soon as well and will go with black stem sensors since my new wheels will be black with a tinted face.

The sensors are 315mhz and I would assume that your tire shop could supply them as well but you may pay more for them. Other option is to reuse your existing sensors.

Which wheels did you go with? I went with a set of VS-02's from Jon with 19x11.5 rears.
I found some coupe wheels that are about finished at Weldcraft being widened to 11' so 325s will be tucked in.

I've sold my existing coupes with tires to a sedan locally.

So I have to get 2 sensors.

·
Registered
TBSS, Corvette FRC, RS 3
37 Posts
I've had good luck with a tpms site that sells them "direct" if you catch my meaning. All OE parts and excellent customer service.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Some tire shops are dicks about installing and programming customer supplied sensors. They also may not be able to program them depending what tool they're using, some of the tools require you to use only their sensors.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
There are quite a few aftermarket suppliers of TMPS sensors that will work with GM. And they can be quite a bit cheaper than the OEM sensor. But some have tricky programming requirements so you have to be sure you know what you're buying. I haven't done this with my V, but I did with my 97 Corvette, and then when turned on TPMS for my 02 Z06 (which I was able to do by borrowing the Tech-II scanner from a friend who managed a Chevy service department), I used some 3rd party sensors. Cost was about 1/3rd and they worked fine. But I'll be damned if I can remember the manufacturer...

·
Registered
TBSS, Corvette FRC, RS 3
37 Posts
There are quite a few aftermarket suppliers of TMPS sensors that will work with GM. And they can be quite a bit cheaper than the OEM sensor. But some have tricky programming requirements so you have to be sure you know what you're buying. I haven't done this with my V, but I did with my 97 Corvette, and then when turned on TPMS for my 02 Z06 (which I was able to do by borrowing the Tech-II scanner from a friend who managed a Chevy service department), I used some 3rd party sensors. Cost was about 1/3rd and they worked fine. But I'll be damned if I can remember the manufacturer...
Same here. The Huf's tend to work pretty well with GM.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Standard motor products makes sensors that only need factory relearn procedure from owners manual. About 35 a piece and cool if you have a tire machine and no programmer. Denso makes the oe sensors, and oro tek makes sensors also capable of being flashed by a tech2 about 5 bucks cheaper, and dorman makes oe programmable sensors as well, but they're around 40. Pretty much everyone else wants you to own their specific tpms programmer. My napa rep always tries to push the autel tpms sensors on me, they give you the programmer for free if you buy a couple sets of sensors.

I kinda think it's bullshit that they do that.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is a pretty good tire shop and did my brakes and reprogramed so they read correctly.

I'm going to have them do the new axles so they shouldn't be too dickish about the sensors.

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,227 Posts
Same dilemma here. A pair of MTs ordered thru local Discount Tire; a set of wheels from other sources. I will likely buy PS4S tires (from DT) for the fronts.
How much does Discount Tire charge for the TPMS units?
Should I get some ahead of time or are they reasonable at DT?
Are the ones that DT offers the same as OEM, meaning re-learnable without a tool for future use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Blades1_99

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
I got the VDO black stems from Rock Auto. They were a good price. Use factory relearn procedures.

Reactions: Blades1_99
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.