Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 V Coupe Auto with a view of the Moon
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there’s lots of threads here on Ceramic coatings, but someone just give it to me straight, what‘s the best out there? I don’t want some spray and wipe shit, I want a double wash, paint correction, clay bar, and coat ceramic coating. One that’s going to take all day to do. One that will last for a long time. What I’ve found online and on Amazon are 2 that seem to be of higher quality and what I may be looking for. Problem is, I’m not 100% sure, and wanted y’all’s advice before dropping the $100+ for it. I also need to do about 1 1/2 cars and wheels for both cars. Lucille has a clear bra on about half of her so I don’t believe I need to apply it there. What’s y’all’s thoughts? The two I’m considering are

GYEON MOHS 50ML Pro grade

and

CARPRO CQUARTZ 3.0 50ML

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One other question, does the ceramic coating up front help protect from rick chips as well as a clear bra does? Please excuse my ignorance here. Just haven’t studied enough on the subject

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
I can't give you my personal opinion since I have never used them, but I got my truck done last week and the V done a few years ago by two different people. Both preferred Ceramic Pro.

Well I lie a little, I attempted it on my V a few years back before being professionally done and I did a horrible job. Wasn't the product, it was the user.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I consistently get 2 years out of Opticoat with proper maintenance washes, and minimal static electricity build up compared to some of the other commonly used products.

Reactions: CTS_Kenny

·
Registered
134 Posts
One other question, does the ceramic coating up front help protect from rick chips as well as a clear bra does? Please excuse my ignorance here. Just haven’t studied enough on the subject
No, at most it's less than 2 microns thick , which won't do anything to stop a rock chip. Think of it more of an additional layer of protection against UV damage, superior gloss compared to a wax/sealant and it's hydrophobic properties.

Reactions: SimplyDreamin

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have PPF on the entire front end , rockers, and rear bumper. Opti-coat over the entire car. Seemed really cool the first couple washes but did absolutely nothing to prevent water stains from rain, now the entire car looks like ass. Doesn't wash off or simply buff off, now the entire car requires a paint correction. I hope the PPF will be salvageable, I believe it is only because it was coated that it was stained at it was. Very disappointed after spending over $3K for paint correction, PPF, and ceramic coat. Vehicle Car Grille Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, at most it's less than 2 microns thick , which won't do anything to stop a rock chip. Think of it more of an additional layer of protection against UV damage, superior gloss compared to a wax/sealant and it's hydrophobic properties.
Bummer on that! I’m surprised for sure.
What about ceramic coating on PVD Black chrome wheels? My wife has those and I know we’re supposed to wax those, but not sure about ceramic coating on them

·
Premium Member
13,750 Posts
i think when people give their reviews of what was used on their car it should include information such as
daily driver , left outside , garaged weekend occasional use , if they have been "boosting" or maintaining the finish and if so what product, cost and procedure.
Hand wash with fairy tears or commercial car washes

for these products give value you would obviously want a nice balance of cost, ease of use and how long it lasts

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have PPF on the entire front end , rockers, and rear bumper. Opti-coat over the entire car. Seemed really cool the first couple washes but did absolutely nothing to prevent water stains from rain, now the entire car looks like ass. Doesn't wash off or simply buff off, now the entire car requires a paint correction. I hope the PPF will be salvageable, I believe it is only because it was coated that it was stained at it was. Very disappointed after spending over $3K for paint correction, PPF, and ceramic coat. View attachment 156593
Keep in mind strong mineral deposits can etch through a ceramic coating. It's not a 2nd layer of clearcoat. Once you understand what it can do and can't do, and how to maintain it, you'll be able to get the most out of it. The companies that sell the very expensive packages are great at branding it as the end all for detailing.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Bummer on that! I’m surprised for sure.
What about ceramic coating on PVD Black chrome wheels? My wife has those and I know we’re supposed to wax those, but not sure about ceramic coating on them
There are wheel specific coatings that help with protecting against heat generated by the brakes. I would look for a Graphene ceramic wheel coating, as Graphene helps lower the surface temperature (slightly).

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
I can say that for my front and rear bumper fascias, the DYC is doing extremely well with road debris not penetrating the spray on coating.

If I had tore-ripped the right front, when I caught the splitter, I would have to do it over...but I will when the tears are repaired.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Grey Fender

1 - 14 of 14 Posts