Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately a strong, battery-like odor has been coming from the engine area, into the cabin. Since the actual battery is in the trunk (no odor there), not sure what it is. Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,489 Posts
Something dead is my guess. :)

Possibly something is burning on the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Change the cabin filter and see if that is it.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I have never heard the term "battery odor". Batteries are sealed (most anyway, and certainly ours). Ours are sealed. They don't vent unless they're busted.

Now, if you mean the smell of hot electronics, that does have a distinct odor and could easily be coming from any number of areas under the hood. Finding it will be a PITA. Easier by far to wait for it to fail so it locates itself. Though if you're only smelling it inside the cabin, I'd place my first bet on the HVAC fan motor. If the cabin filter is plugged up, that'll make the motor work harder and maybe overheat it.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
RasCal,

I had a Chevy Silverado years ago and on the way with my son to CA from AZ (Disneyland bound). A strong melted plastic/rubber smell seemed to be coming in from the AC vent OR something in Indio, CA stunk. I turned the AC off, we opened the windows, the smell went away and we sweated to L.A, actually Anaheim. It had to do with the AC and a gas station fixed it in 2 hours! Bummer trip.
Good luck on your car.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
I have never heard the term "battery odor". Batteries are sealed (most anyway, and certainly ours). Ours are sealed. They don't vent unless they're busted.

Now, if you mean the smell of hot electronics, that does have a distinct odor and could easily be coming from any number of areas under the hood. Finding it will be a PITA. Easier by far to wait for it to fail so it locates itself. Though if you're only smelling it inside the cabin, I'd place my first bet on the HVAC fan motor. If the cabin filter is plugged up, that'll make the motor work harder and maybe overheat it.
Actually..... our batteries have a vent tube.... I only know this because I just bought a new battery and had to attach my vent tube back into the side of the battery....

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Actually..... our batteries have a vent tube.... I only know this because I just bought a new battery and had to attach my vent tube back into the side of the battery....
The vent is for emergencies. The battery will never use it unless it's overcharged or gets wicked hot. If you relocate the battery to the trunk, that vent tube is supposed to lead outside of the passenger compartment.

My 2010 Evo X battery is in the trunk, stock. I had to replace the battery and had a bitch of a time finding one that would fit and that had the necessary vent connection.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone!

The odor comes around right after I have been driving for some distance or going at high speeds. I'm going to start sniffing around (see what I did there?)

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
The vent is for emergencies. The battery will never use it unless it's overcharged or gets wicked hot. If you relocate the battery to the trunk, that vent tube is supposed to lead outside of the passenger compartment.

My 2010 Evo X battery is in the trunk, stock. I had to replace the battery and had a bitch of a time finding one that would fit and that had the necessary vent connection.
Yes but should you not hook it up and leave it? I also noticed the OEM batteries have one side plugged. A new battery I bought had neither sides plugged so I pulled the plug and put it into my new battery and vent tube in the other side.

·
Registered
311 Posts
If it has that electrical smell how about the alternator?
Have you been washing/degreasing your engine and not covering up the alternator - or stall some additional, high-load electronics?
Good luck! Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Yes but should you not hook it up and leave it? I also noticed the OEM batteries have one side plugged. A new battery I bought had neither sides plugged so I pulled the plug and put it into my new battery and vent tube in the other side.
AGM batteries are sealed and non-spillable. Not sure why the vent is there, but assume Rocket it right that it is a pressure release type safety vent.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
AGM = battery.
AMG = fast Benz.
Lol my bad typo, but thought AMG=over priced to mod.

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts