Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Whats the difference base (v6) cts ring and pinion or diff and the V’s?
Mine is an m6 so i have 3.73 ratio and its whining, i want to know if i can swap the ring and pinion with the v6 one since no one makes full rebuild kits for these cars.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whats the best replacement, or did any company make ring and pinion for it?

·
Super Moderator
16,920 Posts
Whats the best replacement, or did any company make ring and pinion for it?
A new diff, nobody makes a new ring and pinion set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whats the best price for a new diff, and who has them in stock now. Some people are complaining that these new diffs are noisy.

·
Super Moderator
16,920 Posts
Whats the best price for a new diff, and who has them in stock now. Some people are complaining that these new diffs are noisy.
$1850.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hope corona virus didnt make you write this comment.

·
Super Moderator
20,804 Posts
Hope corona virus didnt make you write this comment.

Not quite sure who you are addressing it to.

If it’s to me, nobody and nothing made me write it, just to be clear.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ive got a whine, high pitch whine.
Sometimes it goes away i dont know why but once i step on it it comes back again.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Whine changes based on the load on the gears and speed. If you go from throttle to off throttle that's a big change in load. If you go from throttle to engine breaking you are loading the opposite face of the gear teeth that aren't worn in the same manner. There are a lot of factors to consider with noise. It's a complex thing. To know what the gears are producing you have to do order tracking which is always the same for the gears but what you hear depends on frequency and that changes with speed. For a given load your gears are likely always making noise but that noise changes frequency with speed and you can't hear all of the frequencies.

·
Registered
809 Posts
In the end, you need new gears if you want the noise to go away which aren't available so you have to install a new diff assembly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the explanation. Thats what i thought but im trying to find the best option since many guys here complained about new diffs being noisy and whining after a short time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did that twice same exact noise, i think i need a new diff. This happened after the last time i took my car to the drag strip and i had a shake.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I killed my first diff (noise, not walk home broken) with wheel hop at the drag strip.

I'm not sure what the fix for that is other than don't wheel hop it. Easier said than done. My wheel hop seemed to be incited by traction control trying a hard launch with a manual. I had TC off. Had to shut the car off to wait out a track issue and forgot to turn it back off again when the track went back hot. Heat is also a common enemy. Diff cooler is the fix for that but a diff cooler isn't going to help wheel hop.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My car came with diff cooler from factory, the one with a pump and a fan. I agree with you, unfortunately wheel hop or shake was caused by an improper burnout (first run) which i think did the most damage on the diff, i did two more runs and they were okay apart from the whine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts