Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I’ve been tossing the idea around of getting a new grill. I’ve liked the black grill and the New Cadillac emblem. So I bit the bullet and made a couple purchases.

Bought a blacked out Escalade emblem. Gloss black with black inserts. Some slightly different than each other.

Then bought the black grill from CarID.
Purchased a can of Autodip gloss black and the prep spray.

After about 6 thin coats, it looks almost professional. I’m very surprised at how well the paint turned out. I was worried the paint wouldn’t lay evenly since I’m no expert at painting.

Needless to say I wouldn’t even be opposed to painting wheels with this stuff. Looks way better than plastidip. Doesn’t look cheap at all.

I will post pictures with the finished product shortly. Just thought I’d share my experience.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Can't wait to see how this Autodip looks! I wonder how sensitive to temperature it is.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Being a sprayable vinyl and being on the grill I’m sure it would be more flexible in heat. No peeling. It lays almost as a thin glue. When peeled off it feels like plastic wrap.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Interesting I saw their promo video for it and it seems it has self healing properties which is nice. I'll have to get a few cans to try this spring.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The emblem was already the color that is shown. The first pic of the grill has no finish to it. The next pic is a finished product with the Autodip.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Correct. The grill was unfinished and in day light was more of a dark gray. With the emblem being gloss black it would make the grill look like a project unfinished. Needless to say I’m very pleased with the results.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not yet. Car is currently in the shop. Waiting on that and another can to get my splitter finished.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Looks great. Can't wait to see it on the car.
Just checked carid and that grille is now out of stock.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
294 Posts
Have to agree that Autodip is good stuff. I was worried I was just overpaying for a knockoff plasti-dip but it's not got the textured look dip has. I'm also not a painter, and I went pretty heavy towards the last few coats, but I'm happy with the final product and the fact it's got a gloss to it without having to spray a dedicated glossifier.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Looks dam good there.

What kind of camera you have awesome photo.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Looks dam good there.

What kind of camera you have awesome photo.
Thanks. Nikon D7500. Picked it up last fall after spending a few years with a D3300.

Reactions: MYV
1 - 20 of 32 Posts