Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm closing on a new house next week. The buyer asked for a few days to get moved out after the closing. In that time we are going to do some shopping for a couch and a TV for the new living room. I haven't paid for a new TV in probably 15 years. I bought a nice Sony projection TV in 05 and it lasted 12 years, when it died a friend gave me a cheap 4x" after his yearly new TV upgrade. So I haven't kept up with what's available throughout most of the flat screen age. We aren't big TV watchers anyway.

My dilemma with the new house is that the TV is mounted above the fireplace. I don't want to have a separate stand for a cable box or other clutter to feed the TV. I'm assuming that by now, some of that is included in the TV? Amazon, netflix, cable tuner etc. There may be room for a small dvd player on the mantle.

So, guide me towards a 60-70" TV that has built in tuners, wifi, whatever. What are the options on display type, LED, OLED, plasma or whatever they have now. I'm thinking my budget is around $1k but it's kinda lowest priority and gets whatever cash if left after other furniture purchases. Maybe more, maybe less. Before you say google, screw that. I can't wade through 9000 pages of advertising and paid for consumer reviews.

The main living area has more speakers flush mounted in the ceiling. Eventually I'll use an output from the TV to feed an amp for surround sound, but that's not a high priority.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I just bought a 65" 4K Samsung TV and mounted it over the fireplace in my new house. There was existing tubing in the walls where I ran the wires for HMDI and surround sound over to the plate on the side wall. I haven't hung the speakers yet but there are wires and access plates ready for them.

Look around and see if something similar exists.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Go to Costco, snag a 65 Samsung 4K UHD for about $600.

Grab a 4K firestick with YouTubetv and cut the cord.
^^^Good advice there^^^

We cut the cord 5+ years ago = car mod money.

Also if you don't have one already get a DTV antenna for about $20. Then iff you own a Samsung device you can start a Samsung TV+ account to get FREE channels. I get 153 free digital TV channels for zero costs with those options plus I have a Firestick with Cyberflix app that gets all the new movies and shows.

Reactions: MYV

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just bought a 65" 4K Samsung TV and mounted it over the fireplace in my new house. There was existing tubing in the walls where I ran the wires for HMDI and surround sound over to the plate on the side wall. I haven't hung the speakers yet but there are wires and access plates ready for them.

Look around and see if something similar exists.
Most likely there's access from the attic down into the "chimney". The fireplace is just gas logs and there's not a real chimney. In the home inspection pictures, it's just a steel flue in the attic, so I imagine there's plenty of space behind the brick. I think the realtor told me the fireplace was not part of the original build, so I'm assuming the wiring isn't as well incorporated.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We cut the cord around 2010. We enjoyed it for about 3 years. Eventually internet only became so expensive we just added TV back to our package. It's still a possibility, but would be hard to convince my wife and 6 year old.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
We cut the cord around 2010. We enjoyed it for about 3 years. Eventually internet only became so expensive we just added TV back to our package. It's still a possibility, but would be hard to convince my wife and 6 year old.
Netflix and Disney+ will cover those.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
DirecTV has wireless receivers as long as there's a main (wired) receiver elsewhere in the house. The wireless receiver doesn't even need a line of sight for the remote to work. I've tucked the receiver behind the TV and nothing is visible. This may exist for other cable/satellite companies as well.

Smart TV with Netflix and all the other bells and whistles may be enough if you don't want to pay for cable.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,994 Posts
Direct tv is dead, they are done launching satellites and have a streaming service that can’t compete with YouTubetv.

Only reason I have YouTubetv is sports, otherwise, Netflix programming and Amazon prime is all I watch.

Saving $110 per month on TV and internet service by cutting Directv and just running my cable internet with streaming service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^^^Good advice there^^^

We cut the cord 5+ years ago = car mod money.

Also if you don't have one already get a DTV antenna for about $20. Then iff you own a Samsung device you can start a Samsung TV+ account to get FREE channels. I get 153 free digital TV channels for zero costs with those options plus I have a Firestick with Cyberflix app that gets all the new movies and shows.
We talked to at&t today. They only offer dish or their $100+ streaming service. So cut the cord it is. We have a digital antenna from before and still have our firestick. So will I be able to get typical cable channels with Samsung TV? Like discovery, history, hallmark (gotta have my xmas movies year round) etc.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
We talked to at&t today. They only offer dish or their $100+ streaming service. So cut the cord it is. We have a digital antenna from before and still have our firestick. So will I be able to get typical cable channels with Samsung TV? Like discovery, history, hallmark (gotta have my xmas movies year round) etc.
I just moved my antenna to a higher point and rescanned for channels. I get 149 free channels on my Samsung TV on a windy cloudy rainy day.

DTV over the air channels like ABC, CBS, NBC etc and all the Samsung TV plus channels look great. Combined with Amazon Firestick with Prime content along with Netflix and Cyberflix gives our entire family way more than we can ever watch.

Black Betty - 2010 Sedan with some stuff

"Only those willing to go too far can find out how far one can go." T. S. Eliot

·
3,903 Posts
Sony 950 is a solid TV for the $. Excellent contrast from the full array local dimming panel and good off axis viewing for an LCD. https://www.sony.com/electronics/televisions/xbr-x950g-x955g-x957g-series?showModelPrices=true

My current favorite streaming device is the Nvidia Shield TV.
The 2nd gen Pro is ideal but hard to find. The new round version works great but the form factor is less than ideal for me. 4K HDR SHIELD TV

If you want to watch cable only channels you’ll need to pay someone, Sling, YouTube, Amazon etc.

For locals
Check out Home - Locast
Not sure how it can be legal but its been around for awhile and works great if you can’t get an over the air signal. Apps for all major streaming devices.

Or throw a real antenna up in the attic and connect to a HDHOMERUN box and connect to your network. I go the DIY route for DVR using Plex + NAS but they now have a box with 2 or 4 tuners and 2TB hard drive for storage. Apps for many but not all streaming devices. Keep in mind it’s $35 annually after the 1st year for the expanded guide and features. HDHomeRun SCRIBE DUO - SiliconDust

Or if you want to go down the rabbit hole search the interwebs for Kodi + exodus + real-debrid + iptv. It’s not difficult to setup but you need some level of tech skills and it’s a moving target so it needs maintenance. And to do it right you’ll have to pay a nominal fee. I don’t advocate theft of content but I do use this when there’s no other method to watch something or if I don’t want to wait a year or more for a watered down version on BBC America or an Amazon or Netflix exclusive.

And if you’re using something like the above or an app on a FireTV to watch movies and TV that’s not a legit source use a VPN. If not it’s only a matter of time before you’re going to get a copyright theft letter or worse sued. Given the recent impact on Hollywood I’d think that they’ll be ramping up these efforts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We’re moving in a week and I’ll probably wait a few days after we’re in before I go buy the TV. I think one of the 65” Samsung TV’s will be fine for me.

I do plan to do a big antenna in the attic and would like it to feed all the TV’s. I think we’re going to do Philo, Amazon, Netflix and maybe Disney plus. Hopefully that covers everything we want. If not, I’ll spend more time in the pool.

·
Super Moderator
16,994 Posts
You can also rotate services very easily. Most are month to month. Netflix awhile, the switch to Hulu and then HBO etc.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sony X950G is a great TV.

Plex + Channels DVR is a good combo for OTA. I'm using Tivo Bolt + a bunch of Mini's for OTA, but Tivo's pre-roll ads are pissing me off and their HDMI can be a bit buggy. It seems like the default answer for pissed off Tivo owners is Channels.

I've also got a handful of streaming services (Disney+, Hulu, Netflix, Prime, Philo, etc.) that I use primarily via ATV4k.

Tim

·
3,903 Posts
I'd love to ditch Concast. They've been applying some sort of dynamic compression to the audio that just ruins everything.
Give this a try. Watch something with some dynamic range like Watchmen or Westworld on HBO via Xfinity.
Then watch the same scene using HBO GO from a quality streaming device.
The difference is massive. When there's something dynamic like a gunshot you can clearly hear the extreme clamping of the signal.
It must be an effort to save bandwidth.
Trouble is the video is heavily compressed on the streaming side and has increasingly worse artifacts.

All the $ and effort that goes into creating content and they destroy it.

This is why I'm a huge fan of Kaleidescape. Luxury Home Cinema & Theater Experience - Kaleidescape
You can purchase and download to a local server bit for bit copies of movies in full UHD in HDR -or not that's a whole other conversation-with Atmos.
The difference between the best streaming services and this is incredible.
Netflix streams 4k movies at a max of roughly 15Mbps. Mind you the is max. UHD Blu-rays on avg are around 80Mbps.
That's a lot of information/quality tossed out the window for convenience.
Anyway I like to own my media.
As physical media disappears and you want the absolute best quality this will be the only choice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts