Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I managed to lose one while swapping pads with another member last year - and the squeal is driving me nuts. I already tried using the red goop on the pistons and grease on the pins... short answer is I need two (ie a single caliper's worth) of those front brake shims that are typically included with pads.

Anyone have a set laying around they'd like to pay forward? :D

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Don't remember the stock fronts coming with new shims or even had them on there. I know the rears come with them, but the fronts were just a rubber type backing on the stockers I bought both times. Maybe I missed them on the back of the old ones.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't remember the stock fronts coming with new shims or even had them on there. I know the rears come with them, but the fronts were just a rubber type backing on the stockers I bought both times. Maybe I missed them on the back of the old ones.
I don't think they came stock as I pulled my OEM off with none.

But with slotted rotors I'm getting squeaks on the one side i didn't use them.... in spite of the usual goop and lubricant treatment.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bump for spare shims ya cheap cunts

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Screw the shims.

I redid the brakes:
Cleaned the back of the pads
Threw out the shims as they did nothing (ie I had shims on one side, just the red brake quiet goo on the other and both squeaked about the same)
New technique: liberal red anti-aqueal on back of pads and let it skim over for 20 minutes
Then insert and press the brake pedal until firm.
Minimal to no squealing on slotted rotors!

I also think the copper lubricant is largely a waste of time... only the pad vibration against the rotor pistons is the big issue IMHO.

/problem solved

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes. And it didnt work for me after a few days (the squeal came back) But I may have screwed up the application.

I'd suggest letting the goo film up before installing the pads, so it creates a bit of a cushion for the pads

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes. And it didnt work for me after a few days (the squeal came back) But I may have screwed up the application.

I'd suggest letting the goo film up before installing the pads, so it creates a bit of a cushion for the pads

Could always go with Flex Seal tape....hehehehe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts