Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long and short is I have a stored “P0602” code that for whatever reason can’t get deleted during the tune (causing a check engine light that won’t go away)

Only thing I can come up with is to order a new ecu and have the tuner writes new file.
Anybody ever run into this?

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
I've run into this on other platforms before, where the code cannot be simply deleted or cleared using a tuner. Some manufacturers add in additional steps to clearing codes such as cycling key on an off X amount of times, or driving the vehicle for X amount of time before you are allowed to clear the code. On a Dodge I had, I had to fix the problem 1st, then drive the vehicle even though the code was still on, then unhook the positive on the battery & hook back up before the code went away.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Did the tuner ever fail to write trying to load it? Usually that code pops up when a write fails as the software loses connection to the ECM. Do a write entire and do both the ECM and TCM. If it is successful, then clear codes and try to see if a few drive cycles clear the permanant code.

·
Premium Member
15,336 Posts
Permanent codes require a 30 second ignition on, then idle for a few minutes with a 20 minute drive, then idle for another 2 minutes and clear.

Its to prevent clearing with a tuner only for emissions.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts
^^ Have you cleared permanent codes this way Jesse? I have a couple permanents that I want to get rid of.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Permanent codes require a 30 second ignition on, then idle for a few minutes with a 20 minute drive, then idle for another 2 minutes and clear.

Its to prevent clearing with a tuner only for emissions.

something was telling me to give this a try. I feel like I had to do it before a long time ago as well. Let me have the shop give this a try and see if it works. Nothing else showed to be going on with the car so it’s worth a shot.

Reactions: random84

·
Registered
197 Posts
The code is for a corrupt file on the ecu though, which usually happens when a flash fails or the tune has a bug in it like maybe someone missed a piece dragging to a folder or something like that.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the tuner tried to load an old file from several years ago (when he tuned my car the first time and there was no code) and the stored code did not go away. Any thoughts on that? Would that lead you to believe the ecu is corrupt?

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts
Permanent codes will not clear until certain conditions are met. They cannot be tuned out either.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My remaining question is, what conditions need to be met to clear a P0602 which seems to be something to do with the PCM. It seems like from what everyone is saying, a bad file was possibly put in the car but when he tried to upload a previous hood file from years ago, the stored code still didn’t go away. So at this point what else can be done besides changing out the ecu to a new one ?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I would load the tune that was known good without the code and drive for a week or so. Most times permanent codes will "clear" in the sense that the light goes away but if scanned will persist until certain conditions are met. I say drive it on the old tune for a while and see what happens.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would load the tune that was known good without the code and drive for a week or so. Most times permanent codes will "clear" in the sense that the light goes away but if scanned will persist until certain conditions are met. I say drive it on the old tune for a while and see what happens.
unfortunately, the last “good file” was for a completely different motor/set up so the car can’t be driven on it. So he uploaded the old “good” file and then made the adjustments on it for the new set up and it still didn’t clear the stored code.

ordered the new ecu and will have the file re written and if that doesn’t take care of it (if the same code appears) I’ll know there is something else going on.

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken, I think a new ECM has to be flashed to the car by a dealer or someone with a tech2. Does your tuner have a tech2 or know someone?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yessir. That’s being taken care of. Just praying it fixes the issue once the file is written to the new ecu

·
Registered
40 Posts
^^ Have you cleared permanent codes this way Jesse? I have a couple permanents that I want to get rid of.
Some permanent codes require the cause of the code to be repaired and the ECM clears itself when it sees the subsystem there and functioning properly. Some evap codes are "permanent". Can't be cleared with the tuner, code reader etc. The evap has to be properly functional, enabled as per stock in the ECM, then it will clear itself. After it's cleared then you can disable it in the ECM Before you remove the evap stuff and it won't set again

·
Premium Member
15,336 Posts
Yes, I do it all the time as I get a permanent fuel pump / voltage low error every time I hit boost now due to my modified fuel system (aux pump). :D

It clears several times a week when I drive to work and don't drop the hammer. The key is to idle for 30+ seconds when you start the car and when you park after the drive.

·
Premium Member
3,595 Posts
Yes, I do it all the time as I get a permanent fuel pump / voltage low error every time I hit boost now due to my modified fuel system (aux pump). :D

It clears several times a week when I drive to work and don't drop the hammer. The key is to idle for 30+ seconds when you start the car and when you park after the drive.

This is good info but are you sure the permanent code isn't clearing itself because the ECM thinks the fuel pump is working properly?

Everything I've read is that the ECM won't clear permanent codes until it runs tests to verify it's working properly.... unless there's a "backdoor" method which I've heard you're fond of. @Unavowed

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts