·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
2,536 Posts
Reactions: nsaness

·
Registered
128 Posts
I hate it as much as anyone here but there is no way around it, we have lost the battle for ICE vs EV for raw speeds in production cars. I do not own an EV but am quite curious to drive one to determine if it is the same experience. Does it give you the same thrill of a gas driven car producing massive HP? Obviously can't give you the same satisfaction of building and tuning but does the end result speed and drivability outweigh that? I could spend a lot of time and money based on what I have learned here to build a really fast V but anyone with a $100K and no knowledge of cars could simply buy a Plaid and beat us all day, repeatedly. Plus they can give the key fob to their spouse to take the kids to school with a regular daily driver that doesn't need special gas, tires, or endless mods and is as dependable as any other mass market car. I am far from happy about this but it is the reality of today.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
If a car is an amusement park ride for you, then EV's will ring your bell just fine. Many are exceptionally quick. The new Z06 does a 2.6s 0-60. That's the level of performance you get from a high-end electric.

The guy with the Plaid can beat you, but not all day. He'll only get a few runs before the car will go to a lower-power setting because of heat. And his battery will die. And while you'll run out of gas, too, it'll only take you 5 minutes to refill your tank and be ready to go again. Even with a fast charger, and assuming the battery isn't too hot for fast charging, he's looking at an hour+. You can get a lot of runs in while he's recharging. On average, you'd probably win more races (every race where he couldn't run because he was still recharging).

The biggest issue with an EV is exactly what you say. You want a super-fast V, you have to put some sweat equity in to get there. There are no mods for EVs. You get what you get. So while the performance might be good (in a straight line at least, EVs tend to be pretty heavy and not so good in the corners), the wins are soulless because the cars simply can't be "personalized". I saw a video where a Tesla turned a low 10 second 1/4 and there wasn't even a driver in the car, they rigged it to go down the track on its own. I dimly recall talk at one point of a Tesla "drag mode" where the on-board cameras would watch the tree and launch the car on green with no driver intervention.

The EV might be a fun ride, but it's like an amusement park ride, you're not really in control, you're just Spam in a can...

I will eventually buy an EV. But I intend to wait. The technology is evolving quickly, and there are more manufacturers coming on line all the time. We're really still in the very early stages of this "paradigm shift". Batteries are really the limitation and primary reason to wait. But there are new motor designs showing up all the time, too. EVs are going to get a lot better (in terms of charge rate, energy density and propensity to catch fire). And the more people who jump on electrics now, the cheaper gas is going to get, so there's no reason for me to rush in to anything.

One exception - when it's time to trade in my wife's Evoque, I might opt for an electric SUV replacement for her. I like the looks of the Caddy, but it's a bit pricey.

·
Premium Member
3,018 Posts
I could spend a lot of time and money based on what I have learned here to build a really fast V but anyone with a $100K and no knowledge of cars could simply buy a Plaid and beat us all day, repeatedly.
4DRRCKT begs to differ. Start at 1:47.

I know it's easier to run a 9 with a Plaid, but they're not unbeatable.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
The new Z06 does a 2.6s 0-60. That's the level of performance you get from a high-end electric.
FYI the plaid is over a half second quicker than that to 60 and can do it on the street over and over.

The guy with the Plaid can beat you, but not all day. He'll only get a few runs before the car will go to a lower-power setting because of heat. And his battery will die. And while you'll run out of gas, too, it'll only take you 5 minutes to refill your tank and be ready to go again. Even with a fast charger, and assuming the battery isn't too hot for fast charging, he's looking at an hour+. You can get a lot of runs in while he's recharging. On average, you'd probably win more races (every race where he couldn't run because he was still recharging).
The plaid will run pass after pass and not go in to "lower-power setting because of heat". I'm not even sure what that is lol. Even when it gets down to 20% charge it will still do high 9s on the street. Just last week a guy in his weight reduced plaid did 5 back to back 8s passes with his best being 8.83 at 161. The plaid will use between 2-3% battery for every full quarter mile pass you make at a drag strip so you can definitely run all night. How many low 9 to high 8 seconds ICE street cars can do that back to back to back? Not many in my experience! In fact, it's those fast ICE street cars that tend to have the heat issues or break after a couple passes. Check out the tesla plaid channel on youtube...the guy makes tons of passes a night and still has way more than he needs to travel home. Yesterday I put hundreds of miles on my car driving all over the place. I went on a car cruise, raced a fast bike a couple times, then ended up dig and roll racing until 2am. I was literally out beating on the car in 90 degree heat all day and night and there wasn't as much as a hiccup. I stopped by a supercharger mid day just to top it off (only a 120kW charger and not the fast 250kW) and spent less than 30 minutes there while I ate lunch. It's nowhere near an hour to charge even on the slower superchargers. I've also never experienced the battery being too hot for fast charging... also never heard of that on a plaid.

The biggest issue with an EV is exactly what you say. You want a super-fast V, you have to put some sweat equity in to get there. There are no mods for EVs. You get what you get. So while the performance might be good (in a straight line at least, EVs tend to be pretty heavy and not so good in the corners), the wins are soulless because the cars simply can't be "personalized".
There are lots of modifications for Teslas and the last year has produced a lot of options for the plaid. There are many different routes to go for big brake kits including calipers, rotors, pads and even carbon ceramic options from several companies. There are aero choices now and full suspension kits with adjustable everything. Several aftermarket companies are in the game now....here is one major one and their offerings:
Aside from weight reduction and lighter wheel choices (referencing the 8s plaid I mentioned above), companies like IGENEXT are finding power to unlock in the plaid with aftermarket plug and play hardware/software like they did with the model y and 3. The IGENEXT modified plaid was being tested just last week and trapped 190MPH in a half mile event. That's insanely fast when stock it should only trap around 180ish but has a current speed limit of 175. Aftermarket for EVs continues to grow at an impressive rate. I think we'll start seeing plaids hit 160s in the quarter mile without weight reduction. Stock they are in the low 150s.

The EV might be a fun ride, but it's like an amusement park ride, you're not really in control, you're just Spam in a can...
You really need to drive a plaid in track mode. Torque vectoring EV motors with fully adjustable track mode is a game changer and makes the heavy beast pretty impressive. It feels way more capable than my V3 even though it weights more. Stock and modified plaids have been destroying cars on road courses... not just straight line:

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
I hate it as much as anyone here but there is no way around it, we have lost the battle for ICE vs EV for raw speeds in production cars. I do not own an EV but am quite curious to drive one to determine if it is the same experience. Does it give you the same thrill of a gas driven car producing massive HP? Obviously can't give you the same satisfaction of building and tuning but does the end result speed and drivability outweigh that? I could spend a lot of time and money based on what I have learned here to build a really fast V but anyone with a $100K and no knowledge of cars could simply buy a Plaid and beat us all day, repeatedly. Plus they can give the key fob to their spouse to take the kids to school with a regular daily driver that doesn't need special gas, tires, or endless mods and is as dependable as any other mass market car. I am far from happy about this but it is the reality of today.
They are different experiences but in my opinion (now 6400 miles in), it is just as fun if not more. The thrill it gives me is as great as my 1100hp V3 but it is definitely different. The absolute violent acceleration but done in a smooth and constant way just feels alien. It really does make your face tingle, your guts shift and all the blood rush to the back of your head. It definitely feels like a roller coaster and still pins you in your seat at speeds over 150. In comparison, the V was a different type of thrill since it is rear wheel drive and even on great DRs you are driving it hard to keep it straight while butt puckering the whole way. The sound of the exhaust and blower obviously add to the experience but no way I would say the V3 was more fun and thrilling than the plaid.

I had WAY more money in the V3 than the plaid and the plaid is faster, infinitely more reliable, cheap to operate and no maintenance. The reality of today is great and I can't wait to see what these cars can do next. The end result speed and drivability far outweigh what I did with my last 4 modified ICE cars.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Well all those things may be true. But a win in a Tesla still isn't the same as a win in a car you've modified to make go faster. When it comes down to it, that's my basic problem with the current slate of EVs. Lots of go-fast parts for almost any internal combustion engine, limited number of options for just a few of the EVs that are on the market.

I would however buy something like this in a heartbeat...

·
Registered
232 Posts
My wife has a Volvo XC40 recharge. It's the perfect small SUV for her in-town use. Prior to that she had a XC90 T8 and a diesel Touareg. The XC40 is her favorite by a huge margin. She has a pretty short commute, so even with daily errands, we only charge once or twice a week on 120 V.

I'm also a big fan of it. It's super fun around town and you can hoon it without anybody looking at you. It's a great car just to get in and go. It's much faster than you would ever expect it to be. I wouldn't want one for me (I would rather have a Rivian R1T or Fisker Ocean), but I definitely get why she loves it.

All of my cars except the CTS-V have aftermarket exhaust, so even going slow in my neighborhood I get some pretty nasty stares. Most of mine are also manual transmission. They're much better for long drives, in the countryside, and in the mountains, but within the beltway of a major city, hers wins hands down.

The downside to the XC40 is that it's right on the edge of being capable of a lot of the day trips we do. As a result, for any significant trips out of town, we take one of mine. If it had 300 or 400 mile range, then this wouldn't be an issue.

Tim

·
Registered
128 Posts
They are different experiences but in my opinion (now 6400 miles in), it is just as fun if not more. The thrill it gives me is as great as my 1100hp V3 but it is definitely different. The absolute violent acceleration but done in a smooth and constant way just feels alien. It really does make your face tingle, your guts shift and all the blood rush to the back of your head. It definitely feels like a roller coaster and still pins you in your seat at speeds over 150. In comparison, the V was a different type of thrill since it is rear wheel drive and even on great DRs you are driving it hard to keep it straight while butt puckering the whole way. The sound of the exhaust and blower obviously add to the experience but no way I would say the V3 was more fun and thrilling than the plaid.

I had WAY more money in the V3 than the plaid and the plaid is faster, infinitely more reliable, cheap to operate and no maintenance. The reality of today is great and I can't wait to see what these cars can do next. The end result speed and drivability far outweigh what I did with my last 4 modified ICE cars.
Thank you sir, those are my thoughts exactly. Obviously the aftermarket world will adapt to the EVs and is already starting to do so, the pursuit of speed/handling among enthusiasts is not going to die because technology evolves.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I would add that I have always took great pride in doing all my own work on my bikes and cars, I'm 54 now and it's getting harder to do, back aches and aging sucks. Like many here I'm sure we are paying others to do the work for us, we are at a point in our lives that we can afford to. I have always taken great pride in the fact that nobody other than me had turned a wrench on my vehichles and I knew the vehichles intimately. I have a hard time selling any of mine because I know thier every flaw and special attention they may need in any area and they are mine and paid for. I still love going fast, maybe more than ever, and I'm feeling more and more that perhaps it is time for me to move to an EV that can satisfy that need without all the work and constant investment, reliability seems to be more attractive with age, lol. Having 600hp and getting blown away from the line at a stoplight by a Tesla 3 just plain sucks, lol. I know that nobody with RWD cars in our hp range do straight digs anymore, there is only so much traction you can gain even with drag radials on the street. All the new cars have launch control but even with that, including the C8, they can't beat the Plaid. So, do you want to spend tons of money proving that you can go faster with ICE and low reliability or just buy a Plaid and be done? I think it is an ugly car, it just does not stand out in any way. I can't walk away from my V without turning around to look at it at least 3 times after I parked it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
I've had my Plaid since last August and it's the best vehicle I've owned. I've put over 6100 miles on it so far and it still makes me laugh every time I floor it or race it. The thing will run 9s in the rain and it has been incredible cheap to operate compared to the 1100hp 3rd gen V that it shared a garage with. The utility, comfort, performance and tech of the car is unreal. Testing full self driving beta has been fun as well. I wasn't sure I would like electric but I'm completely sold on it now. I like being able to use it year round and in any weather. I couldn't do that in the caddy.

With the caddy just sitting around after its 2nd built motor, I finally decided to sell it last weekend. The plaid is about a half second quicker and requires no maintenance so it was a pretty easy decision. I will miss the sound of the V with the big cam and forced induction but everything else is better in the Tesla. I'm not giving up on V8s though.....I still have my truck and I've always wanted to restore and twin turbo the old nova I have tucked away.

I'm curious who will come out with an EV that will spank the tesla (one that isn't $200k+). I don't see it happening anytime soon so I'm guessing I will trade this one in on the next generation Plaid when it comes out years from now.
Wow, the Plaid replaced a V3! I can see it though, if you want a low maintenance rocket!

... I think it is an ugly car, it just does not stand out in any way. ...
I guess I have a trained eye. There are tons of Tesla Model S's in my area, and the extra flairs on the Plaid help me pick it out.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts