Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's your take on the CT6-V driving dynamics? Looking at it once again to support the US economy, instead of going the AMG or M route.
Reviews seem to be pretty good, but I'm looking for feedback from our V community. I drove a CT6 3.0TT and it was OK, I'm hoping this is much better.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Enjoying mine so far. Biggest disappointment is no mod support and not sure what if anything will come with ~1400 4.2TT motors ever built/shipped. Another 150hp and this thing would be a hell of a car. AWD point and go. With the rear wheel steering it’s a lot more nimble than you’d think. Great exhaust note, really quiet inside. If this thing gets some tuning support, I’ll be in love

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for that! Do you feel that the car is too big when compared to the V3? When I walked up to the CT6 it just feels like there's so much car behind the driver...

Also, how is the power and speed after the V3? Is it good, or just "ok"?

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Thank you for that! Do you feel that the car is too big when compared to the V3? When I walked up to the CT6 it just feels like there's so much car behind the driver...

Also, how is the power and speed after the V3? Is it good, or just "ok"?
I don’t find the car “too big” at all. Now I’m a big guy so I always felt the CTS was a bit on the smaller end for my liking even compared to my V wagon. I never owned a V3, although i did drive one for a weekend and seriously debated cancelling the CT6-V order and going with a V3 when GM botched the launch and I had to wait 10 months for my delivery. I am very glad I decided to wait it out. I’ll be honest, it feels slow going from my daily rwd V Wagon with 700+ hp to the wheels to this. I wanted to try something different ala AWD and TT. I’ll be very disappointed if there ends up being no aftermarket tuning support as it will severely limit the fun factor potential this car can have. The unlimited aftermarket support for V3 is a huge plus. IMO of there ends up being support to squeeze another 150 hp out of this thing it will solidify my decision to go this route. If nothing becomes available then I will likely regret it. Love the V3 and the new real V4 looks promising too. on a side note I will say the factory stereo in this thing is one of the best I’ve heard.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again, this really helps me a lot.

·
Registered
139 Posts
  • Since the Blackwing engine doesn’t fit in any Cadillac except the CT6 and that car is being discontinued, it seems like it will then go into the Vette, GM’s halo car with the halo engine. Give it time, GM spent all that time and money on R&D on that engine, it’s not going to just put it on the shelf. When the Vette gets it the tuners will go nuts with it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What's your take on the CT6-V driving dynamics? Looking at it once again to support the US economy, instead of going the AMG or M route.
Reviews seem to be pretty good, but I'm looking for feedback from our V community. I drove a CT6 3.0TT and it was OK, I'm hoping this is much better.
Yes, the 4.2L TT Blackwing is even better, super smooth power. The CT6-V has a track mode and it puts the car into a 95% rear power and 5% to the front wheels. Or you can go Sport mode and get 80% rear, and 20% front. The AWD puts down great traction from a dig and the rear wheel steering helps give extra control on a track and makes the car driver smaller than it is.

TheTwin Turbos give it a smooth flat torque curve. I Own a 2020 CT6-V and a cousin of mine owns a 2019 version and is more into road course and drag racing. While tracking his Blackwing he just gave a faster times over a Charger SRT and a Hellcat Challenger on a shorter curvy track. My cousins have connections and can sometimes we all get together and test cars unofficially.

readers might find the power outputs below interesting as how Cadillacs Blackwing compares to the LT4 in a CTS-V

Compared Cadillac’s Blackwing 4.2L TT LTA in a CT6-V and GM's vaulted torque monster the 6.2L LT4 Supercharged V8 from a Cadillac CTS-V (Third generation 2016-2019)
Data from Automobile Catalog /automobile-catalog.com (with data they obtained from the manufacturer)

GM Listed Published Specs
LTA 4.2L 256 cu in / 550 HP @5000 rpm / Torque 640 lb-ft @3400 rpm
LT4 6.2L 376 cu in, /640 HP @6400 rpm / Torque 630 lb-ft @3600 rpm

Blackwing LTA Torque lb-ft / HP // / LT4 / Torque lb-ft / HP

1500 rpm /472.7 / 134.9 // /454 / 129.6
2000 rpm /551.5 / 209.9 // /529.6 / 201.6

3000 rpm /630.2 / 359.8 // /605.3 / 345.5
3500 rpm /640.1 / 426.3 // /626.9 / 417.5

4000 rpm /640.1 / 487.2 // /628.4 / 478.3
4700 rpm /614.3 / 549.4 // /614.2 / 549.3

5000 rpm /577.4 / 549.4 // /604.1 / 574.8
5500 rpm /524.9 / 549.4 // /581.9 / 609
6000 rpm /463.9 /529.6 // /552.9 / 631.2

I see the Blackwing has the advantage up to 4700 rpm, where they are essentially equal
then into the higher rpms the LT4 has the advantage

·
Registered
203 Posts
Sorry, but the Blackwing is NOT a better motor. It suffers from a DESIGN FLAW. I believe GM wised-up after seeing the disaster the Germans had on their hands with same design flaw. BMW spearheaded the return of the twin-turbo hot-vee design in 2011 and every German make has followed. Unfortunately, the reason why it was rejected many years prior hasn't been tackled. Heat dispersion simply can't be done properly so far with this setup. BMW and others starting seeing turbo seals, head gaskets, hoses, etc. failing prematurely due to so much heat radiating from the middle of the motor out. In BMW's case it has been even worse as they moved to more plastic lines/hoses for light-weighting purposes and they're see LOTS of failures as a result. I believe Cadillac started seeing all the recalls and then remembered they have this extremely reliable LT lump that could soldier on instead of putting this motor into the Escalade, CT5-V Blackwing, derivative for the C8, etc..

Want some fun - try to find/price an extended warranty on a late model BMW X5M :)

I stopped by my local independent BMW shop last week to inquire about this motor. Found out a long-block replacement is about $3,700 which I thought sounded incredibly affordable for a German car. I was then told it's about $17k in labor to do the replacement install...

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Sorry, but the Blackwing is NOT a better motor. It suffers from a DESIGN FLAW. I believe GM wised-up after seeing the disaster the Germans had on their hands with same design flaw.
Did the Blackwing get put in any car? Surely they didn't develop the engine, then later look around the world to realize the design produces too much heat? Not being argumentative, just curious.

·
Super Moderator
17,215 Posts
Did the Blackwing get put in any car? Surely they didn't develop the engine, then later look around the world to realize the design produces too much heat? Not being argumentative, just curious.
Just the CT6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Blades1_99

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
I wonder why they wouldn't run an electric fan and duct the flow through the hot v section. I could see that helping a great deal in managing heat and keeping it away from surrounding things.

·
Super Moderator
17,215 Posts
I wonder why they wouldn't run an electric fan and duct the flow through the hot v section. I could see that helping a great deal in managing heat and keeping it away from surrounding things.
I don’t know, an electric fan sounds like pissing on a forest fire.

Reactions: Blades1_99

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
I don’t know, an electric fan sounds like pissing on a forest fire.
Yeah, I can see that too. What about a high temp coating inside and out on the exhaust and turbine housings. I bet their shit is cast with no coatings. That would for a fact reduce the heat significantly. Then add the fan, lol.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Where sis the track testing for the BW ? Surely they put this motor through its paces and there has to be data somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
17,215 Posts
If the hot V engines are an issue, curious how the ATSV LFA hot vee is holding up?

I believe the Ford 2.7l ecoboost is also a hot vee configuration in high volume in many platforms.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My CT6-V with over 4,000 miles does not have any high heat issues and even after running it hard my oil temps have been lower than my other cars, and much lower than my LS3 Corvette (which was 210-220 f vs 240 f) . The Blackwing engine has a cool-down fan that sometimes runs after you shut it down and the fan-time varies depending on how hard it was driven.

If heat was a problem, Cadillac has solved it. I have recently met 4 new owners (at car shows) of the CT6-V and none have mentioned any heat issues. And a few of these owners have tested their Twin Turbo’s while drag racing. (they showed me time slips of 12 to 12.3 seconds) The only issue one driver mentioned was an off and on problem with his TPMS.

One CT6-V owner I met (with over 26K miles) was a retired GM engineer who proudly pronounced his Blackwing engine as very impressive even while track testing and drag racing.

A cousin of mine (who has a Cadillac collection among other cars) has an early 2019 CT6-V model with over 32K miles now and after speed testing cars with him, …. his CTS-V with the LT4, displays higher oil heat than his Blackwing.

Now my cousin is looking to buy another new 2020 CT6-V to keep pristine and save for driving only on special occasions.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The issue IS NOT overheating. The issue is that the heat is causing unforseen long-term reliability issues. It's a common problem for ALL of the German hot-vee V8s. Can't say anything about 6s at this point. Keep in mind - my speculation is Cadillac saw all the recalls and figured it out before they decided to put this motor in other products. It's really the only explanation I know of at this point for spending millions to develop the motor to walk away.

My CT6-V with over 4,000 miles does not have any high heat issues and even after running it hard my oil temps have been lower than my other cars, and much lower than my LS3 Corvette (which was 210-220 f vs 240 f) . The Blackwing engine has a cool-down fan that sometimes runs after you shut it down and the fan-time varies depending on how hard it was driven.

If heat was a problem, Cadillac has solved it. I have recently met 4 new owners (at car shows) of the CT6-V and none have mentioned any heat issues. And a few of these owners have tested their Twin Turbo’s while drag racing. (they showed me time slips of 12 to 12.3 seconds) The only issue one driver mentioned was an off and on problem with his TPMS.

One CT6-V owner I met (with over 26K miles) was a retired GM engineer who proudly pronounced his Blackwing engine as very impressive even while track testing and drag racing.

A cousin of mine (who has a Cadillac collection among other cars) has an early 2019 CT6-V model with over 32K miles now and after speed testing cars with him, …. his CTS-V with the LT4, displays higher oil heat than his Blackwing.

Now my cousin is looking to buy another new 2020 CT6-V to keep pristine and save for driving only on special occasions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The issue IS NOT overheating. The issue is that the heat is causing unforseen long-term reliability issues. It's a common problem for ALL of the German hot-vee V8s. Can't say anything about 6s at this point. Keep in mind - my speculation is Cadillac saw all the recalls and figured it out before they decided to put this motor in other products. It's really the only explanation I know of at this point for spending millions to develop the motor to walk away.
Indeed!, BMW has some engine problems. That's one reason why I do not buy BMW. I was informed (by a retired GM engineer) that Cadillac took notice and engineered the Blackwing to avoid these problems.

·
Premium Member
12,977 Posts
i think the amount of time that lapsed from when this engine was in development to now resulted in much more scrutiny and concern for more environmentally friendly engines and EV. its not such a bad business move to abandon a project im sure there are tons of projects that never see the production line

1 - 20 of 24 Posts