Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out today with the cooler weather testing the limits of the PS2's and took some pics with the countryside as the background. I get back in the car, twist the key, and it turns over for about 3-4 secs before the engine coughs to life. CEL shows up and no RPM's on the tach at idle or revving. I drive home for about 5 mins and shut off, restart in the driveway. Same thing happens. It runs slightly rough and definitely down on power.
My neighbour has a simple OBD reader and came up with this code. I searched on this forum for "Crankcase Position Sensor Circiut A" but didn't find the complete answer to the problem. Where exactly is this sensor located? Is the failure indicative of a bigger problem?

·
Premium Member
3,019 Posts
I think the sensor is on the block by the starter. I have never had this issue though. Should be an easy fix if it's just the sensor.

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm wondering if there's a "B" sensor if this code came up with sensor "A"? Does anyone know the location of both sensors, and which one would be "A"?

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the sensor is on the block by the starter. I have never had this issue though. Should be an easy fix if it's just the sensor.
Well, this is a sad state. Four posts in this thread and I wrote three of them. lol:(. Thanks pepn3385, I believe that you have the answer to my issue.

For a while there, I was freaking out because I started reading about CAMshaft sensor locations, and just about took a shit on my chair! Well, it would have pushed me to do a lower/cam swap if I had to get at those sensors! Crisis averted, and I'll update this thread once I replace the part and hopefully clear the code.

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, new sensor and all is good for those that are wondering and can't sleep at night because of the suspense. I'm taking my ball and going home.:p

·
Premium Member
3,019 Posts
Glad it was an easy fix for you man. ;) no charge of course. Haha

Reactions: Blown376

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Thanks Blown376,
Having the same issue.
It was the sensor behind the starter ??
What make sensor did you buy ?
It was pretty close to the starter but easily accessible by putting the front end on jacks and cranking the wheels to the right from what I remember. Make sure the wiring harness stays away from the starter and other hot parts. I don't have the OE part number, but it was a crankshaft position sensor.

Reactions: MYV

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm having the same issue you described. My ngauge also has been "detecting" the engine shutting off and will power down for the past few days. Replaced the battery and still have the same issue. It finally threw the P0335 code twice.

I have the crank position sensor on order and hopefully that's it. I wasn't able to find it in stock at advance or autozone.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have been getting the same code intermittently and now the car won't start at all. Does anyone have a pic of where this sensor is located? I can't see it on the pass side, at least not where I'm looking....lol Do you have to remove the bottom engine cover to access it or is it visible/reachable without removing that? Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I'm have been getting the same code intermittently and now the car won't start at all. Does anyone have a pic of where this sensor is located? I can't see it on the pass side, at least not where I'm looking....lol Do you have to remove the bottom engine cover to access it or is it visible/reachable without removing that? Any help is greatly appreciated!
its back near the trans above the starter, hard to see with starter installed at certain angles at least...follow the harness that is to the starter and knock sensor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I didn't have to unbolt the mid pipe, but I did remove the starter. I replaced the sensor and it still wouldn't turn over (not even clicking from the starter/battery) I just turn the ignition and nothing happens (this was what it was doing before as well). I'm not sure if it's locked out via software or if the starter is bad or what. I decided to go ahead and remove the starter and figured out why they say to unplug the battery.......surprise!!!!!!!!! lol . Here's a pic of the crankshaft sensor I replaced and the starter, the starter teeth kinda had me wondering....are they supposed to be angled like that??

Attachments

Reactions: MYV

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is there any way to test the starter before I just buy a new one? Like I said, my car literally wouldn't even turn over before. I have ben getting the P0335 code for months off and on and it seemed like it was a battery issue for a while....I have a brand new battery and the car has been hard to start for about 25k mies (maybe a bit more...it started while i was under warranty but they didn't see an issue with it) . Of course, now when I bring it in for service they talk about the hard start etc....funny how that works!

Anyway...anything I can check at home with it not even wanting to turn over at all....like, literally nothing happens. I know for sure there was power going to the starter, when I went to disconnect the plug from it it sparked like crazy...so power is good...lol.

TIA

--wes

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If there was a spark when you pulled the cable off of the starter, that means it was drawing power even though you hadn't turned the ignition key to crank the engine. Looks like the internal windings have shorted to ground somehow. See what the resistance is from the positive terminal to the casing and also the resistance between the pos and neg terminals.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Jesus..

Disconnect power before messing with the starter! lol

*Moderator Hat Off

Yes the teeth should look like that IIRC, it helps with lead-in as it flys rearward to engage the flexplate/flywheel.

There is a lot going on in that area wiring/heat wise. I would be investigating for continuity...would be nice if you had the full ECM pinout, hunh?

You have starter/knock sensor/oil pan sensor/ac compressor on that harness coming forward and down...you saw all the heat shielding...the sensor wires are like 16 gauge and weak...I pinched that whole harness with the bellhousing and spliced them all back together...

There is a crank relearn process...but I don't know enough to say whether that is contributing or not.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you have stock exhaust you're going to have to unbolt the right side mid-pipe. That and the starter. It should be accessible then.

I replaced mine and it solved the issues.
Did you have to do anything else? I saw something there about relearning. My car wasn't even attempting to start, no noise from the starter at all. I removed the starter and t replacement came yesterday, I'm going to swap it tomorrow.

I'm hoping that fixes the issue.....if not do you know anything about this relearning?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Jesus..

Disconnect power before messing with the starter! lol

*Moderator Hat Off

Yes the teeth should look like that IIRC, it helps with lead-in as it flys rearward to engage the flexplate/flywheel.

There is a lot going on in that area wiring/heat wise. I would be investigating for continuity...would be nice if you had the full ECM pinout, hunh?

You have starter/knock sensor/oil pan sensor/ac compressor on that harness coming forward and down...you saw all the heat shielding...the sensor wires are like 16 gauge and weak...I pinched that whole harness with the bellhousing and spliced them all back together...

There is a crank relearn process...but I don't know enough to say whether that is contributing or not.
hrrmm.....I'm replacing the starter tomorrow, I hope i don't need to do this relearn process as I have no idea what it is or how to do it. My car has had a hard start for 40-50 k now, it has progressively gotten worse. Of course when it was under warranty they said it wasn't an issue, but now when i bring it back for oil changes they mention it every time...lol

·
Registered
210 Posts
Replacing the crank position sensor should have nothing to do with engine cranking. I have replaced several of these sensors without any issues or relearn issues. Did you inspect the starter wires? That area between the block and the hot exhaust manifold is a very hot area and is hard on starter wiring. Maybe some insulation broke and created a short.

There are also some fusible links in the area and if you grounded a wire, they may have blown.

Funny that the engine cranked before you replaced the crank position sensor.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts