Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a V that pretty much checks all the boxes for me. It's a Canadian V and I have been looking into the cost and work to get a car imported. My research has led me to believe I probably need to pass it up. I was curious if anyone has done this and may have a better understand on the process. Here's the obstacle I have found.

1. I called a few banks and they won't give you a loan on car outside of the country. I can over come this.

2. You need a letter from Canada Cadilac stating the car meets U.S. Safety and emission standards. This can take up to three weeks and sometimes they don't respond at all. A pain but doable.

3. A gas guzzler tax of $2600 (A6) is due to the good old IRS. This would need to be factored into your offer.

4. This particular car has a number of mods including no cats. Speaking with an importer it would need to meet the emission standards for 2010. Obviously it would need cats installed at a minimum. What I don't know is do they actually have someone who inspects this stuff. It would be huge risk to buy the car and hope you can get through customs.

5. The dash gauges are in metric and you would "reset" the mileage if you switch the cluster out to a U.S. Version.

6. I get conflicting advise on the impact a "Canadian" car has on resale. I friend who's a service manager who says to stay away others say it shouldn't be big deal.

7. Cars built in North America don't half to pay a dutie fee but imported cars do. No problem there.

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
There should be lots of companies that do all this for you for a fee.

But ive looked into importing from the US to canada and what I undestand

1. correct banks wont loan on a car not registered in your country, line of credit, cash are options

2. not sure you need a letter, I think it was 72 hour notice to the DMV that the vin would be removed from the US and imported into canada (when I was looking to do it)

3. yes gas guzzler tax, interestingly enough, M6 got better milage and wasnt subjected to this.. lol

4. I think the emissions would depend on what state you are going to. If its a car from Edmonton, I have Cats you can have on your way thru ;)

5. Cadillac dealer can program the mileage on your new dash, no issue here.

6. resale shouldn't be an issue. Get the appropriate car fax/service info and I wouldn't think it would be an issue.

7. Correct.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I believe switching from metric is a setting. Your speedo may have some higher numbers on it though.

Oh, and #8. The car may smell of donair poutine.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
2. You need a letter from Canada Cadilac stating the car meets U.S. Safety and emission standards. This can take up to three weeks and sometimes they don't respond at all. A pain but doable.

I believe if the car has the "Federal" sticker under the hood, you do not need a letter. The sticker says something to the effect of "this vehicle meets emission standards for all 50 states, blah blah". All US cars have to have it, and typically anything in North America will.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have an American V2 that was imported to Canada. It has a 200mph center gauge cluster that becomes a 200kph speedo when I switch over to metric. It's the same car otherwise, USA vs Canadian cars.

I've always considered that one day I may sell to somebody in the states, just because our loonie is so weak compared to your dollar. I paid the equivalent to 37kUSD for my 2013 loaded V in 2015...

edit: but that was 50k CAD at the time.

·
Registered
479 Posts
5: you can switch back and forth, actual mileage not effected, non issue
6: the only difference is a couple gauges appear different, doesn't hurt resale from what I have seen

I can't answer the rest of the questions as I bought mine in the US after traded in by a Canadian owner.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
cats aren't an issue to install, if it's my car you are interested in I can work that so it passes emissions requirements. one press of a switch and the entire dash is in imperial, non factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Importing it is actually not as bad as everyone thinks. As stated above, since the car will have the federal emissions sticker under hood you do not need a manufacturer letter. Also, it meets us crash standards so no problems there either. All you really need to do is get a broker to enter your import documents electronically into the ACE system. Once it's in the system you can drive the car over the border (will need a plate, so keep the original owners or get a 10 day canadian temp plate). Wait about 3 days after your back and the broker will send you the customs form that you take to the dmv along with the Canadian ownership doc to get titled and registered.

I have been using affiliated brokers in port huron mi for our commercial vehicles and they charge about 275 for Entry into ACE.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Seems to me there are plenty of cars here in the states to find, rather than dick with this? Why don't you find someone who has what you want and just ask them if they want to sell it? I had no intention of selling mine, until someone reached out and pestered the shit out of me, and I gave it to him...you never know until you ask...

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Seems to me there are plenty of cars here in the states to find, rather than dick with this? Why don't you find someone who has what you want and just ask them if they want to sell it? I had no intention of selling mine, until someone reached out and pestered the shit out of me, and I gave it to him...you never know until you ask...
it's not very difficult to bring vehicles either way, they move thousands every day. just a few papers and it's handled...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another issue has surfaced. The passenger air bag switch is different. The U.S. Version illuminates the words on/off and the Canadian version illuminates the picture. I read somewhere it's a firmware difference but also wondered if it's just a different part that could be swapped out with a U.S. Version. Anybody have any info on this?

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
In case anyone is importing a vehicle into Canada, the above issue is resolved with reprogramming the radio to the U.S. settings. Absolutely stupid but that's what it is...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's official I got my title today. They didn't even look at the car at the border. You need your letter of conformity and the receipt from the Cadillac dealer saying the air bag light has been programmed for US standards.

Reactions: snzuloz and x96535

·
Registered
7 Posts
Congrats. I was going to suggest that you purchase a V in Canada that was imported from the US, like mine is. You now have a speedo that goes to 300 mph, no? Don't forget to say "thank you" on every start up or it will run rough.

·
Premium Member
4,076 Posts
You have to say "sorry" every time you blow the doors off lesser cars. Embrace the Canadia, eh?

Sorry

Reactions: nbw123

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hey, I'm looking at importing my 2013 Cadillac CTS-V sedan into the US from Canada. I originally bought it in Canada 8 years ago, and recently moved to the US permanently. I reached out to an importer and they said it's non-conforming and they can't import it. I also reached out to GM Canada and they said the car doesn't meet FMVSS due to the passenger air bag on/off being symbols instead of words in the Canadian version. The importer also mentioned the parking brake light in the instrument cluster should say "Brake" instead of the red P in the red circle.

The car has the EPA label under the hood. It also has the manufacturer's label by the driver's door that says it meets CMVSS but says nothing about the FMVSS.

What were you able to do to get yours imported?

·
Registered
107 Posts
My 2011 CTS-V Coupe was originally sold/leased in Canada, I bought it with 20K miles on it and an amazing car that I found at the right time for the right price, worth more today than what I paid for it. Absolutely no issues registering or passing inspection standards in the US. The only difference I have found is the speedometer, please see attached pic. It goes to 330 which is KMH but automatically adjusts to MPH on the analog gauge if you change it in the menu settings, the digital display converts as well. Because of the increased scale, the digital gauge is easier to read and a much more accurate reflection of how fast you are moving.
Car Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

1 - 18 of 18 Posts