Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

Any V3 owners running resonators?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  chalizmo 
#1 ·
I just installed a Borla system and it sounds amazing but is a bit loud for my neighborhood. I've seen many threads on resonators being installed on V2s but nothing on V3s. The tunnel is very narrow and the x-pipe would need to be shortened at the front and back to move it forward to create space for resonators to get installed. Hoping that someone else has done this and has recommendations and if at all possible pictures.

#2 · (Edited)
Man exhaust is tricky on these cars. My OEM was too quiet, now my SW axleback is too loud/droney. Being a caddy, there is a TON of insulation in this thing. I verified this when pulling up some carpet to run wires. I did a ton of research and it seems the best sound is using the OEM mufflers with headers and/or cat delete. I even waited a while and paid a ton for a system that retains the dual mode exhaust, and in tour its pretty loud, sport/track its really loud lol. There is no quieting it down especially on a cold start. Thankfully this is just a weekend car but I'm sure my neighbors still hate me. I leave for work at 4am so if I daily drove this car I'm pretty sure I would get stabbed. Maybe try an exhaust shop to see what they say. It shouldn’t be expensive to weld a resonator or small muffler in at a midpoint. Let us know how it goes.

Reactions: chalizmo
#3 · (Edited)
Thanks Donte, always great input from you. I'm definitely going to an exhaust shop to see if there is something that can help for when the cart is in motion, pulling out of and into the driveway or though my tiny little gated HOA streets. The cold start as you mention is of course a whole other problem even in touring mode. I saw a number of hokey pool noodle videos on youtube trying to mitigate the cold start issue. The concept seemed good but produced minimal reduction and were done on 4-cylinder foreign cars that aren't even a close compare to a beastly V8. However, I did see this video from a guy with a Corvette who took it a step further (link) and I thought that there might be something to it. So, I started researching sound blocking vs. absorption and then methods of destructive noise cancelation which altogether got me thinking that there may a theory worth some low cost testing. Keep in mind I'm no science, physics, or audio guy.

I'm going to build a speaker box out of MDF and line it with sound absorbing foam, then pack it densely with fiberglass like what's in resonators/glasspacks, and then some small exhaust holes to manage back pressure. Where I'd take a different approach from that video is to connect dual hosing with sound blocking traits from each side to connect into opposite sides of the box. I'm hoping that the opposing internal noise may "possibly" cancel some level out and the rest absorbing into the fiberglass and then anything left over into the foam. Of course, some level of noise would still come out, but if it's reduced and muffled enough to deal with cold starts or any starts for that matter, it's a win for my situation.

To some this may sound excessive, and others may say to tell my neighbors to go fuck themselves. My neighbors on each side of me are awesome but don't understand car culture. And on the other side of our narrow street are the ones who would probably start reporting me to our HOA. If this experiment works, I'll put a handle on top and castors on the back to roll it out since I already let it take plenty of time to properly warm up. It's a small price to pay for me to leave in the mornings to get to weekly or monthly car events and also to drive it more often while respecting my cool neighbors and avoiding potential HOA fines.

There are so many smart experienced people here and so many working in so many specialized fields that may be related. If anyone has any constructive feedback here please do contribute. Hell, if it works, maybe I'll start building them and selling them online. lol

#4 ·
Resonators will help. I am considering doing them on my BBE system..

It does sound wild, but dare I say it could be a bit toned down from 3-5k rpm...

Reactions: chalizmo
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.