Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Washington winter is "over" and now I'm getting back to doing yard things and realizing the Koi pond needs some refurbing. Made me curious if anybody else here have ponds/water features/koi.
Here's a quick video of the fish from today. Aiming the camera was not my strong point lol

·
Premium Member
17,575 Posts
My mother had three Koi ponds - tiered/layered down a hillside on the back of her house. She recently moved and didn't have a place for them, but she misses feeding her fish each day for sure. They aren't dogs exactly, but they are amazing creatures. She lives in Nashville and sometimes the ponds would totally freeze over in the winter, and these fish would just kinda hibernate down below the ice. I was amazed that they would go all winter without food. But come Spring they'd be hungry like crazy!

Sadly, she lost quite a few (I think she had 20, 30 or more?) when lighting struck either one of the ponds or a tree right nearby. It killed a few and a few others definitely were not swimming right - I don't know if they eventually recovered or not. That was hard on her. But most of them survived.

I was also surprised how they grew. They were tiny when she got them, but some must have been 15-20 lbs last time I saw them. They just kept growing bigger and bigger each year. I'll see if she has any pics/videos.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Very cool hobby!

I have an acre pond with game fish, water lilies, etc. Not quite the same thing as a Koi pond.

·
Dick Pickles
5,749 Posts
I also have an acre pond in NH with Koi, but they share space with local game fish. It’s definitely not time to start feeding them yet in NH. We have 4 fairly large Koi. They had 14 babies last fall, so we’ll see if they made it through the winter. The pond has been frozen since December. I have a heater to keep a hole in the ice, but there were a few weeks where it was so cold, the heater couldn’t keep up. We’ll see in a few weeks how they did through the winter.??

·
Premium Member
15,012 Posts
I have this one down the road

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sadly, she lost quite a few (I think she had 20, 30 or more?) when lighting struck either one of the ponds or a tree right nearby. It killed a few and a few others definitely were not swimming right - I don't know if they eventually recovered or not. That was hard on her. But most of them survived.

I was also surprised how they grew. They were tiny when she got them, but some must have been 15-20 lbs last time I saw them. They just kept growing bigger and bigger each year. I'll see if she has any pics/videos.
Killed by lightning? That's pretty intense! Sucks how many of them she lost, but it is definitely crazy how big they get.
I've lost a handful over the years, some get sick, but woke up one morning and looked out my bedroom window to find a big blue heron just perched on the edge of the pond with one flopping around on his beak. Hell of a sight to watch that huge bird fly off with its beak spearing a fish, but sucked losing them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also have an acre pond in NH with Koi, but they share space with local game fish. It’s definitely not time to start feeding them yet in NH. We have 4 fairly large Koi. They had 14 babies last fall, so we’ll see if they made it through the winter. The pond has been frozen since December. I have a heater to keep a hole in the ice, but there were a few weeks where it was so cold, the heater couldn’t keep up. We’ll see in a few weeks how they did through the winter.����
Would be pretty cool if the babies survived. My little pond freezes over most winters, except the hole where the water return is. They survive pretty well under the ice.
That white/orange one spawns every year, but I have yet to manage to keep the babies alive after they hatch.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
My grandparents have a decent size koi pond and a good number of fish. They have been combatting Blue Herons for years now though. The area in which we all live (I'm close by) is near multiple lakes. About 10 years ago we had some serious drought conditions and the lakes were wayyyy down. That's when they started having Herons show up. It blows my mind these birds can see a pond that is 30X 15 in someones backyard from the air. Bastards are protected...They have made off with some big ass fish over the years. Netting and other countermeasures have been put in. They never get blasted with anything serious, but a pellet gun has been known to be used.

·
Premium Member
4,292 Posts
A friend has a decent sized pond and his nemesis is Kingfishers. They hover about 50 feet up and dive bomb the pond. Once they locate the pond, it's tough to get rid of them without "elimination", which is illegal because they're endangered. # or 4 layers of plastic mesh on a framework helps, but is a pain in the ass to set up. Some of his fish are OLD, and BIG. Very cool hobby, but a lot of work to do it right.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
A friend has a decent sized pond and his nemesis is Kingfishers. They hover about 50 feet up and dive bomb the pond. Once they locate the pond, it's tough to get rid of them without "elimination", which is illegal because they're endangered. # or 4 layers of plastic mesh on a framework helps, but is a pain in the ass to set up. Some of his fish are OLD, and BIG. Very cool hobby, but a lot of work to do it right.
We just looked at a house with a koi pond and a bunch of them in there but there was a fine mesh draped over it that should protect from birds stealing them right?

·
Premium Member
17,575 Posts
Maybe a few robofish as decoys - ones that double as tazers when struck by bird beaks. Too creative?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Maybe a few robofish as decoys - ones that double as tazers when struck by bird beaks. Too creative?
This is 'Murica. Arm them, attach freakin laser beams to their heads #2 :D

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Not a bad idea...I'll ask my Pop how that fits in his fixed income, been retired for a while budget.

The mesh works to an extent. But these birds don't give up easy. All of the horror stories of them taking off with mega koi are anecdotal though. Pop aint no slouch though, he's a crafty bugger. Herons are dicks, that is the main takeaway here.

·
Premium Member
17,575 Posts
Not a bad idea...I'll ask my Pop how that fits in his fixed income, been retired for a while budget.

The mesh works to an extent. But these birds don't give up easy. All of the horror stories of them taking off with mega koi are anecdotal though. Pop aint no slouch though, he's a crafty bugger. Herons are dicks, that is the main takeaway here.
Lol on all points!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts