Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm doing my Father a few favors as he is healing up from a Major Surgery and one of the things I had been doing is getting some issues resolved with his Wagon.His car is a 2011 with 18K miles, Stock. It had developed both a clunk when shifting from drive to reverse or visa versa as well a light to moderate hum while driving (on throttle/off throttle or even in neutral). I took the car for a very short drive up and down his block and at first it didn't seem like anything more than a wheel bearing. The sound (intensity) did change when you swerved the car from left to right.

I made an appointment with the dealer to take a look. The dealer is about 9 miles from his house on local roads. I got about a mile from his house and up to 35 mph ( only did 20mph when I took it for a test ride on his block the week before ) and the noise changed. I nursed the car along for about another 2 miles and the noise got to the point that I had to pull the car over to the side of the road. I got out of the car and took a looksie underneath. Bad news. Gear oil leaking from the front of the differential. I called for a flatbed to come and pick it up. 6 miles and $103 later, it was at the dealer. I knew the Diff was hurting and I suspected pinion bearing.

The car got looked at by the lead tech' and he wrote " roller bearing failure " Replace differential. I suspected that much. The number that was given to me made me almost crap into my socks. $4,803, and no listing of parts other than the GM part number for the center section(20931063).

I told the service writer that I would have to get back to him on that. He called me back 6.5 hrs later and quoted me a discounted price of $3,544. I asked why he didn't quote me that number to begin with. I didn't get a straight answer back.

So, I've made arrangements to buy the center section online from GM Parts Online for $1841.90 and 2 qt's of 75w-90 with additive. I'll then be trailering the car about 60 miles south to a well recommended shop to swap it out. Those days of working on my back under cars are done I hate to say.

And so the story begins in a few days when I drag the car down to the show on a U-Haul car trailer.

I hate dealers.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
You could've offered the dealer $2,500 and seen what they said. I went back and forth with the BMW dealer on the water pump on my wife's E90. When the smoke cleared the final price was about half what they initially quoted. Service writers are on commission. It's horse trading, like everything car related.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
That's about the going rate for a dealer replaced diif. Labor is a bitch on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's about the going rate for a dealer replaced diif. Labor is a bitch on it.
The labor quote is for 8+ hours according to the guide.

I did speak with the service writer about doing better than what he offered. He didn't think it was a possibility. I'm most likely going to have the dealer do the job. At least after speaking with my Father tonight. The Diff is covered by a 12 month warranty from GM. If it explodes prior to the 12 month period, it will be the dealer who eats it.

$3548

At least my Dad can afford it. Me,,, it would hurt a bit.

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
Warranty time is a little over 5 hours, so customer pay time is probably 7.5 hours. Labor rate 150-200, it adds up quick.

·
Jaguar
851 Posts
The dealer dropped the price further. $3300
Did you already buy the diff online? Was gonna say by the time they take care of the transport for you, the couple hundred difference you MIGHT save will be worth no headaches and a dealer to bitch at if something goes wrong ... and a free loaner car to beat the shit out of for a day or 2 or take on a date night, I leave that choice to you

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you already buy the diff online? Was gonna say by the time they take care of the transport for you, the couple hundred difference you MIGHT save will be worth no headaches and a dealer to bitch at if something goes wrong ... and a free loaner car to beat the shit out of for a day or 2 or take on a date night, I leave that choice to you
Well, my Father is still recovering from quintuple cardiac bypass and will have his driving privileges restored by this weekend. He has my step mothers car to toll around in, so there's no rush to get his wagon back. I also figured that if the new diff blows (it's covered by a 12 month warranty via GM) they can eat it. The car had a faint sound drivetrain related for a long time, but my father never thought enough of it while the car was under warranty to do anything about it. Too bad. I guess it was the center section all along.

As for date night, my wife doesn't like being a passenger on my ZX-14, but she's fine in my GMC Canyon.

·
Premium Member
17,323 Posts
You could've offered the dealer $2,500 and seen what they said. I went back and forth with the BMW dealer on the water pump on my wife's E90. When the smoke cleared the final price was about half what they initially quoted. Service writers are on commission. It's horse trading, like everything car related.
Except with Tesla...

·
Premium Member
17,323 Posts
Speaking of diffs - mine has started making noise at low speed turns when cold. I get upset just reading threads like this knowing what I might be in for...

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Speaking of diffs - mine has started making noise at low speed turns when cold. I get upset just reading threads like this knowing what I might be in for...
Meh, diffs are cheap. Beat on it until it explodes.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Meh, diffs are cheap. Beat on it until it explodes.
have we even seen any explode? They just seem to get loud. Just keep installing bigger exhaust pipes and no one will be the wiser ;)

·
Registered
6,074 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Teslas don't have diffs.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Teslas don't have diffs.
Except they do! Until they start putting individual motors on each wheel they still have a differential/single speed gearbox in rear and front for dual motor versions.

Their gearbox needs fluid changed pretty frequently too if you follow their maintenance schedule.

They also have brake fluid and coolant/radiator like a normal car so definitely not maintenance free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
That is an aftermarket 9” tho which is a bulletproof dump truck diff lol.
And probably serviceable so cheap to fix if it starts making noise.

Does no one make an upgrade for the V? Or at least upgraded ring/pinion or Center locker?

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Cool. Will you buy me one?
Is your rub n tug business under the highway overpass not bringing in the big bucks you thought? Haha

How much would it be total if you spec the whole thing like you want? Like $7k? I’ll start saving for our anniversary.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
That is an aftermarket 9” tho which is a bulletproof dump truck diff lol.
And probably serviceable so cheap to fix if it starts making noise.

Does no one make an upgrade for the V? Or at least upgraded ring/pinion or Center locker?

I think most of the issues are just the bearings then a gear set falure. I'm guess the bearing falures are probably heat related. I bet that thing gets hot under there. I could be wrong though.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts