Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
14,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
870 Posts
You need to protect yourself. I stopped using Facebook in 2007 because I didn't like their data retention and ownership policy. I don't miss it. A group of friends gets together every Thursday night for dinner and to catch up which is much better that staring at your phone. I immediately go to settings for any new app to disable any information sharing. I'd rather type my zip code every time than have all my personal info stored.

Edit: I have not succeeded in turning off everything in Windows 10. All you can do is minimize it.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I hope this wakes people up... but I doubt it. It'll be gone from the news in a week or two and while it might be the beginning of the end for Facebook, the cycle will just repeat with another company.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
It will be interesting how this all pans out. CA gets a bad rap for selling data that they harvested from FB to sell to the Trump campaign, Obama in 2012 harvests the same data and he is a tech wizard and oh so smart. FB/Google/twitter/youtube/ apple/android all sell your data and you have zero privacy or rights once you sign up for said platforms. Interested to see how this pans out as Zuckerberg is a terrible speaker and I look forward to see him getting grilled under the lights, in front of the camera's, non scripted. Congress loves this shit as it gives them purpose and the ability to be holier than thou and in front of the TV camera's. Kabuki theater all the way.

·
Dick Pickles
5,732 Posts
If you put information out on the www, it’s available to anyone who wants it. No matter how secure you think it is.

What’s comical is how surprised current society is at this revelation.

·
Premium Member
12,388 Posts
they take these stupid surveys and click on shit left and right, send photos to each other and messages, you dont think they are watching and collecting data?
how do you think you get ads for shit you were "thinking" about? why do i go on ebay or amazon then see ads for that crap on other websites?
that is the business, trump used this to his advantage and people have an issue with it. when obama harvested data in 2012 no one cared

Its shameful that the rest of the country cant just accept that he won and move onto the job of running the country and trying to make it better for everyone

·
Registered
765 Posts
If you put information out on the www, it’s available to anyone who wants it. No matter how secure you think it is.

What’s comical is how surprised current society is at this revelation.
I've been laughing at people losing their minds over this big revelation. I thought this was common knowledge years and years ago. Nothing in life is free. One of the reasons I stay away from social media.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
You need to protect yourself. I stopped using Facebook in 2007 because I didn't like their data retention and ownership policy. I don't miss it. A group of friends gets together every Thursday night for dinner and to catch up which is much better that staring at your phone. I immediately go to settings for any new app to disable any information sharing. I'd rather type my zip code every time than have all my personal info stored.

Edit: I have not succeeded in turning off everything in Windows 10. All you can do is minimize it.
I stopped using it then also. But back then all you could do is de-activate. Since this scandal broke I've finally found out how to delete it!

Oh that stupid Cortana Bitch! Microsoft and FB aren't the only guilty ones. Samsung smart TV's are listening to you in your home. Anything they say is smart is stupid- rule of thumb.

I'm not up to date on all the conspiracy theories out there, but I'm pretty sure IKEA and WalMart and maybe others have very small RFID tags in most products. Apparently in the early 2000s I remember some rappers claiming this is how the "Hip-Hop Police" tracked them.

All of this is "old news" but finally it's getting the spotlight it deserves.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Have I ever had a myspace account? Nope. Facebook? Nope. Twitter? Nope. Snapchat? Nope. Any other of the type? Nope. I use a VPN for anything on the web except for this site (just because I dont like entering the PW all the time and I know Karch is the only lunatic that will hack me). Try to find me on the net....good luck.

·
Super Moderator
20,536 Posts
Have I ever had a myspace account? Nope. Facebook? Nope. Twitter? Nope. Snapchat? Nope. Any other of the type? Nope. I use a VPN for anything on the web except for this site (just because I dont like entering the PW all the time and I know Karch is the only lunatic that will hack me). Try to find me on the net....good luck.
You know what I was thinking?

If NS doesn’t have a Facebook or IG account, why should we?

Honestly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I downloaded my FB data and they've got very little on me. But. I *never* let Facebook have access to my Contacts, nor do I allow it to make/receive phone calls or SMS on my phones.

I constantly warn my friends about those stupid FB surveys, "how intelligent are you?" that ask questions like "what's your favorite color" or "what was the first car you owned". These things are bad for two reasons - they're clearly designed to profile the "participant" and they also often ask the same kinds of questions that are used for two-factor authentication, your "secret questions" for when you forget your password. If you're really smart, you don't click the link and take the test.

Lastly, I work in the data storage industry. I make HDDs and SSDs. You would be amazed at how many bytes of data storage go in to service each year. We don't measure in gigabytes or terabytes even petabytes. We have to use "zetabytes". That's a 1 with 21 zeros after it. Each. Year. The industry is projected to ship close to >20ZB over the next 7 years. And they're not just throwing away the old stuff. Drives are warrantied for 5 years and many datacenters run them for 7. That's a pissload of storage out there. Roughly 1.5TB for every man, woman and child on the planet. And it will only continue to increase. And there's no way to completely escape the collection process. You can't function in a modern society without leaving a digital footprint unless you're living off the land and totally disconnected (in which case, you're not really functioning in society). Even if you never use the Internet and don't have a cell phone. Just walking or driving you're being recorded and photographed, and computers are very good at matching faces. That is actually the basis of a feature of FB. If you ask it to search for "pictures of ..." it will find pictures even if they're not tagged, based on facial recognition.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Just watched something about face recognition and how cgi can create faces of people that never existed. It's a chip in most video games. All those crazy face smart apps that turns your face into like a bunny rabbit or chipmunk are all recognition apps. AI is watching us and most aren't informed. Some people are like sheep and would rather spend time keeping up the Kardashians than think for themselves. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Funny how Schmit and Cook are waiting in the wings while they pile on Zuckerberg, they are more than willing to let that little prick take all the heat. Like those two have not been doing the same thing and all three are evil. We would not be having this conversation if Hillary was elected, the only reason is because it was Trump and CA was working for that campaign. The Trump people even said the data sucked anyway, not sure what to believe other than it is big gov watching you and these three recording your every move. Take a look at the stingray cell phone tracker that the cops can use without a warrant, add in all the other shit and there is no escape from big brother.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Who here has read the privacy policy from start to finish?

When you signed up for whatever company's _______, you most likely clicked the box "Yes" I've read and agree with the privacy policy, LMAO!!!

I have no sympathy and this is exactly why Lawyers are employed.

·
Premium Member
12,388 Posts
interesting article:

https://medium.com/@CKava/why-almost-everything-reported-about-the-cambridge-analytica-facebook-hacking-controversy-is-db7f8af2d042

"A Cambridge academic called Aleksandr Kogan — NOT Cambridge Analytica and NOT the whistleblower Christopher Wylie — made a ‘Test Your Personality’ app, helped to promote it by paying people $2–4 to install it on Amazon’s Mechanical Turk crowdsourcing site, and used the permissions granted to harvest profile data. 270,000 users installed the app, so you might expect that 270,000 profiles were collected but the app actually collected data from 50 million profiles.

50 million?!?

Yes. You see back in the heady days of 2014, Facebook had a feature called ‘friends permission’ that allowed developers to access the profiles of not only the person who installed their app but all their friends too. The only way to prevent this from happening was to have toggled a privacy setting, which few Facebook users even knew existed (here is a blog from 2012 explaining how to do so). The friends permission feature is how Kogan multiplied 270,000 permissions into 50 million profiles worth of data"

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
It's sad that I don't care....

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
So how do I find out what FB has on me?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts