Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Vendor
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my car aligned recently and done according to OEM specs (despite being lowered).

Having said that, I just had a tire split the cord because the inside edge is trashed. Both fronts have to be replaced despite having good tread left (cords are showing on both). I'm kind of at a loss because I don't want to try and experiment with different toe and balance tire wear against dartiness. Has anybody else gone through a similar situation where the inside edge gets eaten away prematurely? Perhaps a known good front alignment target?

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
I have my spec sheet from when I lowered my car at my office. I can get a pic posted of it, my wear is darn near perfect.

·
Premium Member
15,914 Posts
I am close to spec also and very even wear over 2 years. The front camber adjustments are known to "slip" quite a bit. If the toe is within spec, is it possible the alignment shop is less than competent?

The alignment would likely have been off for thousands of miles to wear tires that aggressively, right?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Your shop either didn't bother to adjust the camber, or were unable to get it back in spec with the lowering springs. They kicked it out the door anyways, figuring you wouldn't notice.

·
Registered
869 Posts
With a stock height car with stock alignment I saw more wear on the insides too. It could just be the factory specs. I now remember this and don't fell so bad lighting the tires up, you know to wear the whole tire evenly :) This is what I tell the wife anyways.

Reactions: Jpandes

·
Registered
194 Posts
Same here...just wiped out the insides of my front PSS's in around 13-15k miles at stock height with the stock alignment (yes I reviewed the sheet). Not down to cords but no tread left on the inside edge either. This time I had them push the camber out as much as they could while saying in spec. It's not like I'm qualifying for F1 on my way to work. It drives slightly differently but not worse if you get what I'm saying.

I don't think the (small) change they made is going to be a 100% fix for even wear though.

·
Premium Member
17,380 Posts
Mine was in perfect Eibach spec and I wore the inner edge to the cords at 22k miles on original PS2's

I am fine with getting 22k out of PS2's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
704 Posts
Toe can be a killer of front tires, I usually run the min toe in up front meaning as little as possible to call it toe in and make both l and r the same. With my lowered setup I plan to dismount fronts and flip them at 10-15k to see what happens

·
Premium Member
17,380 Posts
Aren't most performance tires directional?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
From what I've seen, if you're lowered, the only way you can get the camber back in spec is to grind the slots longer to give yourself more adjustment. The Eibach spec is just their way of compensating for this, so people won't try to return their springs when they learn they can't hit the proper factory numbers.

One alternative is to just start cornering a lot harder, so you don't waste all that valuable outside rubber that you paid for.

·
Vendor
1,742 Posts
Lowered on Eibach's, went through two pair of fronts under 10K miles each, inside edge to cords with 6-7/32's on middle/out with not a lot of neg camber -1.2. This pair went with Eibach specs, so far about 4-5K on tires and wear measurements so far are fairly even.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I'm on eibach coupe springs on my sedan and still have stock ps2 tires that are almost shot at 17,500 miles. The previous owner never got an alignment after he did the Springs. See attached alignment pic and lmk of the specs are good. The guy said he did his best to get the car within oem specs.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ugh. Rapid inner wear on L and R sides. Stock suspension, PSS 265/40ZR19. Is the wisdom of the crowd still today to push the camber out as far as possible and genuflect in the general direction of Detroit periodically?? Other ideas? TIA!

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts