Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for those with the Alcantara option, especially owners with higher mileage. How does the Alcantara parts hold up? In particular the "high touch" points on the steer wheel and seats? My previous experience with Alcantara is that it looks great new but over time dirt/grime can accumulate and it can age poorly despite regular cleaning. Hoping the Alcantara in these cars holds up better.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,535 Posts
It’s all about keeping it clean, but in general, alcantara does not wear well.

It’s simply microfiber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
I don't have high mileage but my steering wheel had a dirty spot from the previous owner. I read about using alchohol and a micro fiber towl to clean it. It worked like a charm. steering wheel looks brand new, again.

·
Super Moderator
16,535 Posts
Fun fact..... if you are still under warranty you can get 1 free replacement alcantara wheel

·
Premium Member
14,386 Posts
Fun fact..... if you are still under warranty you can get 1 free replacement alcantara wheel

But what else will the dealership fuck up in the process?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Up to what mileage or time on a cpo car?
Probably going to depend on which CPO you have. The good old one or the shitty new one.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have been using this as well and agree.

I agree as well. Just cleaned my steering wheel, knob, and seats this weekend with the Sonax. I also use this suede brush which seems to really help get the dirt out and make the alcantara stand back up. I also use a warm and damp terry cloth to wipe with. I typically brush the Sonax in and wipe with the terry cloth. I have found that brushing in a back-n-forth motion works much better, as brushing in a circular motion, if you are not careful, can really tear up the alcantara.

https://www.leathercaresupply.com/products/jobsite-suede-and-nubuck-cleaning-brush-black-white?variant=49408741845

·
Registered
109 Posts
The alcantara on my 12 coupe recaros does not look that good. Its rough to the touch in most areas almost like a high grit sandpaper. On the edges where it tucks under the seat you can see the foam backing which is orange coming through and there is nothing I can really do about it. Sonax is a good cleaner, so is IPA. They cleaned up my steering wheel and shifter nicely. If you have pills or little pieces that stick up, lightly sand it with wet sand paper and vacuum. I used a fabric dye to re dye the seats with Deval midnight fabric dye. Its a nice $15 spruce up but it doesnt give me the satisfaction I want which is nice soft alcantara. In order to get that I was quotes like $400 a seat to have new inserts installed.

I think using the heated seats also probably expedites the wear. Just a thought

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
I used the alcohol method over the weekend and it looks good as new. Now I don't want to touch it again.

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
It wears very well. If fact it wears better than most steering wheel and shifter materials. You just need to keep it clean.

Very soft toothbrush, dish soap and microfiber towels are your friend. I had it on a 50,000 mile car. The sifter and wheel looked great if I kept it clean. It looses a bit of softness but that's about it.
I had the yellow Recaro option. The yellow showed some wear, because its yellow, and got a little blue from wearing jeans, but I could clean it off. Good maintenance will be your friend.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Even though it's supposed to wear fairly well, I still ordered an alcantara steering wheel cover. I think it was $140, and well worth knowing I won't be wearing out my steering wheel but still getting the alcantara feel.

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
Even though it's supposed to wear fairly well, I still ordered an alcantara steering wheel cover. I think it was $140, and well worth knowing I won't be wearing out my steering wheel but still getting the alcantara feel.
Just say no to add on covers!

·
Super Moderator
16,535 Posts
For the record, you can get a spare NEW alcantara wheel for appx $170 from dealers online.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
For the record, you can get a spare NEW alcantara wheel for appx $170 from dealers online.

But then you don't get the pleasure of the loose bunched up steering wheel cover!

Personally this is the only way I roll:

·
Registered
51 Posts
The rubbing alcohol method works very well, you can use microfiber towel or a cotton towel for a bit more abrasiveness. It holds up pretty well with cleaning every 6 months or so.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts