Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the fist mods I made to my CTS-V was a Billy Boat Cat-Back exhaust and an AirAid CAI.

I purchased the AirAid 250-253 Red Oiled filter ... I don't use the car much ... But I'm preparing for a nice long road trip this summer ... I wanted to clean and re-oil the so called Lifetime filter.

When I went to remove the filter, I couldn't get it out of the air box ... no matter what I tried it wouldn't come out ...
Being the stubborn Aircraft Mechanic that I am I wasn't about to have a simple thing like an air filter beat me ...

Anyway ... I did get it out ... but I had to squish it and manipulate the filter to the point of practically destroying it ... before getting it out ... I'm afraid that the next time I have to clean it that it will be so frail that I'll have to replace it ... If I would have known of this issue I wouldn't of purchased the AirAid ... this is obviously a design Flaw ... Oh ...that's the other thing ... the size of the open end of the filter is unique to AirAid ... other filter brands do not match the size of the opening so you have to get their Propitiatory filter. NOT GOOD!

So I was thinking ...maybe I should replace the filter with a traditional non-oiled filter. I just have to figure out what the Part # is for AirAid Black Filter.

Has anyone else had this issue with their AirAid CAI?

·
Super Moderator
17,000 Posts
Did you consider unbolting the strap that goes to the wheel well to get enough movement to remove filter and or remove the intake tube.

Some simple disassembly helps.

Just wait until you put a green filter in it .......lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's exactly what I had to do ... I got pissed at the Airbox and pulled the whole thing out ... in doing that I noticed how loose and flimsy the entire Airbox assembly was ... so I replaced all of the hardware with Aircraft Quality Fasteners ... now the Airbox is secure and a lot tighter ... I'm not too thrilled with AirAid ... that was a lot of money for such poor quality and crappy engineering.

JUST SAYING ...

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
That's exactly what I had to do ... I got pissed at the Airbox and pulled the whole thing out ... in doing that I noticed how loose and flimsy the entire Airbox assembly was ... so I replaced all of the hardware with Aircraft Quality Fasteners ... now the Airbox is secure and a lot tighter ... I'm not too thrilled with AirAid ... that was a lot of money for such poor quality and crappy engineering.

JUST SAYING ...
Well maybe you can engineer something better? There is really not a lot of space there for a good sized filter. You have to remove the air box to change the filter. You don't need to buy the Airaid filter. There are other filters that fit. Also if you don't use the car much why did you need to clean it. It's not a lifetime filter (and don't think they ever said it was), but it doesn't need cleaning every 3k either.

Reactions: MYV and Blades1_99

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Don't Fly ... It's not good for your health ...

I had close to 8k not 3k when I cleaned out the filter ...
I was under the impression that oiled filters were life time reusable ...
A quote from their own website "The 360-degree conical AIRAID premium air filter is washable and reusable"
I guess its only reusable once ... if you can get it out without damaging it ...

I looked at four other filters and none of them had the same opening size. What brand are you suggesting fits on the Airaid airbox?

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Don't Fly ... It's not good for your health ...

I had close to 8k not 3k when I cleaned out the filter ...
I was under the impression that oiled filters were life time reusable ...
A quote from their own website "The 360-degree conical AIRAID premium air filter is washable and reusable"
I guess its only reusable once ... if you can get it out without damaging it ...

I looked at four other filters and none of them had the same opening size. What brand are you suggesting fits on the Airaid airbox?
1) You didn't say the miles in the OP.
2) Washable and reusable yes. Good for a lifetime not so much.
3)Take the air box out and it comes out easy.
4) Green Filter 2382,K&N RF-1041, and some others. Although these will be an even tighter fit as they are even bigger filters.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Dont the oiled filters make the car inconsistent as the maf will need to be cleaned and or changed more often?

Sent from my boujea ass phone

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
6 minutes to remove and install the whole air intake. 2 10mm bolts and 2 hose clamps. It's the only way to roll.

I appologize if you are offended by jesus feet or gratuitous hot dog neck.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I just squeeze my oil-less Airaid filter into an oval shape and remove it that way. Probably not the most elegant way to do it, but it works and other than some minor denting of the outer metallic mesh it holds up fine IMO. I honestly have not cleaned my filter for at least 10K miles and when I just did for the first time it was remarkably not that dirty. I just soak it in warm water with a little dish soap, rinse, dry, and put back in. After seeing the video to remove the airaid box that doesn't look all that bad either. I just wouldn't want to disturb the ground wire that a fair number on here have trouble with when they first install the airaid.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
I don't even worry about that bolt. Never been an issue without it.

Reactions: pohoda

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
When I assembled Airaid box, it didn't leave me impressed with the fit into the area.

I also figured out that I wouldn't be cleaning the filter as much as I did on my Harleys.

Guidance here assured me that I wouldn't be needing to clean it as often as you're talking about.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

So I decided to write to Airaid ... just to see if they are aware of the issue ... as youll see in their response ... they're fully aware of it ...

I have an issue with having to remove or even loosen the airbox just to clean or replace a filter ...
That's just poor design and engineering ... it just doesn't FLY with me ... excuse the pun

here is my letter to them

Hi,

Two years ago I purchased and installed your CAI # 250-253 for my 2012 Cadillac CTS-V Sedan.

I'm having an issue with the removal of the filter for cleaning ... I have to squish the and manipulate the filter in order to get it out of the housing ...
Is the way this was designed?

I'm eventual going to ruin the filter ...it's already out of shape ... if I keep removing it this way, Im going to have to replace the filter ... How do I maintain it if I can't get it out of the housing without damaging it?
Can I replace the filter with a non-oiled one ... will the non-oiled filter be easier to replace then the oiled one?
What is the correct part # for the non-oiled filter?

looking forward to your response
John K

... And here is their response ...

Hello,
Thank you for contacting Airaid. We suggest removing the intake kit from the vehicle. This will make this easier to service your air filter. Gently rotate the air filter clock wise and counter clock wise while separating the air filter from the filter adapter. You can replace the air filter with a dry filter however, this will not make servicing your filter any easier. The part number for the dry filter is Airaid 701-495. You can order this filter from our website or you can contact our Customer Service Department.

If you have a concern with your Airaid air filter, please provide us with a picture of the filter showing the concern.
Please click the link below to review the installation instructions.
https://www.airaid.com/instructions/AIR-250-253_inst.pdf
https://www.airaid.com/search/product.aspx?prod=701-495
If you should have any further questions, please email or contact our Customer Service Department at 1-800-858-3333.
Thank you,

AIRAID Customer Service & Tech Support
[email protected]
http://www.airaid.com
Phone: 800-498-695

·
Super Moderator
17,000 Posts
Good grief. This thread needs to be moved to the WTF section

Reactions: MYV

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
No offence but that is is way it is designed. There is not enough room there to have an air box and a bigger round filter AND get the filter out WITHOUT removing some part of the intake or air box. You could of went with a different intake that is nothing more then a tube and puts the filter lower. Airaid's response is not admitting an issue they are informing you how you get the filter out.

Reactions: pohoda

·
Super Moderator
20,842 Posts
Ever work on a German car?

I had to change an engine mount on a Rabbit once. Had to lower the engine because they chose to install the long bolt with the threads facing to the rear rather than the front.

Didn’t matter on the assembly line, but once you lower the body on, it made for a more involved job.

Nothing as hard as changing a filter, though.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
6 minutes to remove and install the whole air intake. 2 10mm bolts and 2 hose clamps. It's the only way to roll.
Probably six minutes of non-stop swearing, too!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey it could be worse, your catch can could be under it like mine( previous owner) . Every time I need to drain it I gotta pull the filter. MM catch can is coming soon.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts