Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I start threading black pipe, is there anything new and exciting out there anyone is using for their shop air lines? Mostly use air tools, but paint occasionally as well, was thinking something plastic would help a little with condensation but realize pvc is frowned upon... Pex with aluminum inside? I forget what exactly it's called.

·
Registered
812 Posts
we have schedule 40 PVC air lines in my shop since before I even started working here 20 years ago
You must have better luck than me. I used schedule 40 PVC and it lasted a few year then one day a joint failed - not the pipe. Blew the elbow right off like a bomb going off scared the shit out of me. I thought it was a freak replaced it. A few months later another one blew. I tore it all out I'll never use PCV for that purpose again.

·
Premium Member
12,704 Posts
ive repaired fatigued fittings ( that were here before me lol ) with the home depot fittings and they have also lasted

just saying for a home garage sometimes things are just not needed
I also dont shut the air off and on sending full pressure air through the system. I let it bleed down on its own and start up the compressor letting it build up slowly. Dont know if that makes a difference or not but it just has to be better practice
We run the compressor 5-6 days a week sometimes for hours at a time

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've heard getting hot and cold might play a role in pvc failing, where I work we have black pipe for high pressure and pvc set to around 90psi... There must be 600ft of it and it's never failed, but the shop is also 68 degrees at all times. Sketchy watching someone tug on the hose it's connected to though. Wouldn't bother risking it at home.

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
I watched a tire machine depressurize when a pvc line to it snapped even though it had a soft link line attached.. The bead breaker arm snapped up and shattered the guys wrist, and the chunk of pvc went through the sidewall of a tire on a car nearby. I had a pvc elbow miss my head by about a foot when it came apart on a line attached to the wall 20 feet away from me. Ummm. I'll spend a little extra to pipe my shop.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
How about Synflex? It's easy to use and will withstand the pressure and comes in a variety of colors.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Synflex looks like nice hose, I actually have a gates crimper also to make up hydro lines and such.. wonder if my local hydro shop can get me a deal on a roll of that...

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have run Transair for the last 13 years in the shop without a single hiccup. It’s not the cheapest out there, but it is very good quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,704 Posts
are the aluminum pipe systems coated? what keeps the aluminum from corroding with a little moisture in the lines?
you cant help some moisture in the line when its 80+ degrees out

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
i have a 1" loop of fast pipe made by rapid air in my shop with 3 drop down reels (2 3/8 and a 1/2") all with separate regulators. Another drop to my blast cabinet and shop press. Then i have a feed going into the floor and ran to a second steel shop with a 5x10 plasma table, i used the rapidair 3/4 to direct bury about 75 feet from my shop and another drop from the main line to the release locks on my 4 post lift . I like the rigid pipe much more .

20181118_160625.jpg

also have a drop reel for oxy/acetylene and 3 120v drop reels. i do this for a living though.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would use tubing designed for air line pressures, PVC and PEX might work but wouldn’t take the chance (as shelteredv said a failure can be very dangerous) I would not want that in my garage with family around. I used galvanized pipe, cutting and threading was not that hard and not very expensive, Rapid air systems are nice and easier to install but a bit more of a cost.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I recommend Rapid Air, used for the last 8 years now, love it. You can start with a base kit and upgrade over time, they offer different sizes for most needs.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts